AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering picking up the new Rotel pieces. I've heard them with the B&W CM8's and thought the sound was outstanding. I am open to audition other speakers as well. Don't want to hear just one speaker manufacturer.

Any other speaker recommendations for Rotel equipment? Dali's, Salk SoundTowers, Paradigm, Dynaudio, KEF, etc....?? Very interested in the Salk's but haven't found anyone that has heard them with Rotel. Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Choose speakers to match what you like to hear.

An amp will amplify whatever you send to it and send to whatever speakers you choose. The speakers will have the single greatest impact on what you hear. The fact you have chosen Rotel is irrelevant to the choice of speakers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yes, Rick240 I agree.  I was just wondering if anyone had heard any speakers with Rotel other than B&W, that they think might be a good audition.  I saw a few people online talking about how good the B&W's sound with Rotel, but haven't seen anyone mention any other speaker brands. 

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
It's n ice to see Rotel going back to A/B designs. Years ago I had a Rotel RB-991-993 combo for my surround sound system. The Amps were 200wpc like the current model and I ran a Vandersteen surround setup. 2CE's, VCC-1 center and VSM rears. Plenty of power for the speakers. I even ran Thiel 2.3's w/the 991. Basically you can have a wide choice of speakers w/this amp. PSB and Kef R series speakers would be nice matchups.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
If I were going to rank speakers by their sound quality for the buck, it would look like this:

(10 being perfect; 1 being horrible)

Vandersteen- 10 (I admit it; I own Vandersteen Treos and used to have the 3A; sound to die for with the right amp and preamp)

FOCAL- 9 ( some nice prices on excellent speakers now at Music Direct)

PSB - 8 (had the image T6 in second home; great speakers for $1300)

KEF-8

MONITOR AUDIO - 8

DYNAUDIO - 8

WHARFEDALE- 7

SALK - 6

B & W - FROM 5 TO 7 (DEPENDING ON THE MODEL; big differences)

POLK- 4

ENERGY-3

KLIPSCH - 1

Of course, almost any manufacturer has some models that are standouts and others that are not quite as good for the buck.

Rotel, Musical Fidelity, and Arcam make some very well-designed amplifiers that have lower distortion than most when driving real SPEAKERS.

Don't pay any attention to the clueless who think all amplifiers have the same amount of DISTORTION when driving SPEAKERS, which are 100 times as difficult to drive as an 8 ohm load resistor.

Only amateurs that have never hooked some amplifiers to a distortion analyzer and some speakers can spout that kind of nonsense. Any engineer knows better.

NEVER buy any audio product until YOU listen to it for at least 3 DAYS in your own system in YOUR HOME. There ARE ways to do it, so do it.

A store is the worst place to listen; you will almost always get wrong impressions there.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1524525/speakers-for-rotel-rc-1570-pre-rb-1582-mkii-amp#post_24538693

If I were going to rank speakers by their sound quality for the buck, it would look like this:

(10 being perfect; 1 being horrible)

Vandersteen- 10 (I admit it; I own Vandersteen Treos and used to have the 3A; sound to die for with the right amp and preamp)

FOCAL- 9 ( some nice prices on excellent speakers now at Music Direct)

PSB - 8 (had the image T6 in second home; great speakers for $1300)

KEF-8

MONITOR AUDIO - 8

DYNAUDIO - 8

WHARFEDALE- 7

SALK - 6

B & W - FROM 5 TO 7 (DEPENDING ON THE MODEL; big differences)

POLK- 4

ENERGY-3

KLIPSCH - 1

Of course, almost any manufacturer has some models that are standouts and others that are not quite as good for the buck.

Rotel, Musical Fidelity, and Arcam make some very well-designed amplifiers that have lower distortion than most when driving real SPEAKERS.

Don't pay any attention to the clueless who think all amplifiers have the same amount of DISTORTION when driving SPEAKERS, which are 100 times as difficult to drive as an 8 ohm load resistor.

Only amateurs that have never hooked some amplifiers to a distortion analyzer and some speakers can spout that kind of nonsense. Any engineer knows better.

NEVER buy any audio product until YOU listen to it for at least 3 DAYS in your own system in YOUR HOME. There ARE ways to do it, so do it.

A store is the worst place to listen; you will almost always get wrong impressions there.

I was browsing the deals on Focal loudspeakers on MusicDirect as I, too, am looking for a new 2.0 set. Are you able to comment on any of the Focal bookshelves as they compare to one another? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The Focal Profile 908 is an excellent speaker, which they are closing out at $999; way less than list price.

That is a real deal on some very good speakers.

The 807 is nearly as good and is even lower-priced.

If I was looking at bookshelf speakers, i would seriously consider those.

Another one that is excellent is the Gallo Classico CL-2, which go for $800 per pair.

They have an exclusive tweeter design that has some unusual dispersion characteristics and sounds great.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
what about system audio sa 1250's with Rotel?

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoorb824  /t/1524525/speakers-for-rotel-rc-1570-pre-rb-1582-mkii-amp#post_24536230

Considering picking up the new Rotel pieces. I've heard them with the B&W CM8's and thought the sound was outstanding. I am open to audition other speakers as well. Don't want to hear just one speaker manufacturer.

Any other speaker recommendations for Rotel equipment? Dali's, Salk SoundTowers, Paradigm, Dynaudio, KEF, etc....?? Very interested in the Salk's but haven't found anyone that has heard them with Rotel. Thoughts? Thanks.

you might consider and listen some models of brand Canton - www.canton.de , if they are located somewhere around you, cantons should perform very fine with Rotel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts