AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, speakers, audio and everything of the sort is completely fresh to me and I have no idea of how any of it works.

Were getting married in a room approx. 60'x40' with 14' ceilings (A medium/large sized open hall). Instead of paying for a DJ we had an idea to buy speakers instead. We have come to the conclusion of buying a pair of speakers with the amp and 1 sub, will probably end up costing us just over $2k. There will be approximately 100-130 people.

The speakers we are looking at are posted on this      link http://www.extremeelectronics.ca/index.php/home-audio/loudspeakers/cerwin-vega-12-3-way-floorstanding-tower-speaker-1179.html

I guess my questions would be as follows. (Keep in mind I have 0 audio knowledge and any simplified advice would be great!)

1) Is it possible to spend around $2k and have a decent sounding wedding reception instead of a DJ.

2) If so are the speakers that we are looking at any good? or would we have to spring for something better

3) Which pro/cons are we going to see doing it this way vs a DJ?

4) Which kind of amplifier do we buy to support this?

Thx for any help/advice

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
There was a person looking to do the same thing awhile ago and it wasn't the best decision cause the speakers you need for a wedding venue would not be good for a home speakers.

There are places which rent PA Systems which would be good for your application and be less money.

While Cerwin Vega's are decent speakers and the ones your selected will work there will really be no use for them after you are done.

Honestly the biggest con I see is you will be buying equipment you will have little real use for in the future. But as long as you set the playlist of your music on an Ipod its pretty easy. maybe recruit a friend to MC, like introduce people and such maybe press play on occasion. You will save some money there. There could be a worry that the music might screw up as you don't have a dj managing it but a decent friend who doesn't mind probably would do a great job .

Rent a PA system with speakers, mic, and ipod hookup are the better cheaper option if you don't want a DJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hey thanks for the honest tip.

So basically they would work at the wedding but not be ideal for home?

Would you be able to explain why using these speakers in home wouldn't be useful after the wedding?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis49  /t/1522690/speakers-for-wedding-reception-seeking-advice#post_24487298

Would you be able to explain why using these speakers in home wouldn't be useful after the wedding?
Because they're PA speakers. They're made to sound loud, not good. Hire a DJ, if you can't find one for $500 you're looking in the wrong places. Don't look for one that 'specializes' in weddings, go to a few local clubs and hire one you like. Clubs don't pay $2k, neither should you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1522690/speakers-for-wedding-reception-seeking-advice#post_24487344

Because they're PA speakers. They're made to sound loud, not good. Hire a DJ, if you can't find one for $500 you're looking in the wrong places. Don't look for one that 'specializes' in weddings, go to a few local clubs and hire one you like. Clubs don't pay $2k, neither should you.
K, If these are called Pa speakers...What are home speakers called? Just so I know the difference :D...And thanks for the tip on looking for a DJ if we decide to go with that.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis49  /t/1522690/speakers-for-wedding-reception-seeking-advice#post_24487374

K, If these are called Pa speakers...What are home speakers called? Just so I know the difference
...And thanks for the tip on looking for a DJ if we decide to go with that.
Home audio speakers are ment for home application of audio.

PA = Professional Audio. Those are built for one thing, to be loud and fill a large area with sound. Home audio speakers are ment to bring a more detailed and accurate sound, make the audio in your room sound like what is happening on the screen would be in real life..

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1522690/speakers-for-wedding-reception-seeking-advice#post_24487606

Home audio speakers are ment for home application of audio.

PA = Professional Audio. Those are built for one thing, to be loud and fill a large area with sound. Home audio speakers are ment to bring a more detailed and accurate sound, make the audio in your room sound like what is happening on the screen would be in real life..
To a point, but you can get PA speakers every bit as detailed and accurate as home stereo/HT speakers. You just don't get them for $500 each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts