AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for good front and surround speakers that are supposed to be used in a home cinema system.

As I am planning on letting my sub handle all the lower frekvencies I wonder which fronts and surround I should buy, the price class would be something between 1000-1500US$.

·
Registered
383 Posts
5.1? Front and surrounds.

B&W's

* CDM1NT or DM603 S3 for mains

* DM601 S3 for surrounds

This will be in your range. You might have enough left over for a center if you need one.

PSB, paradigm, and Divas are also speakers I would also be looking at in that price range.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just FYI, since some people start going in the "wrong" direction when people mention Swans Diva. They start going to the swan site instead of av123 which IMHO is a better bet. They have good (well, excellent) customer service. I've never had a problem and everytime I call it's like... what! no wait!? Strange. :p

As far as the Diva's go, look into http://www.audioenvy.com/ There might be someone in your area that you can audition some diva's. After trying out the Diva 6.1's, I feel pretty good about the Diva's in general (FYI). I like the Diva 6.1 better then the B&W 603, but I want to take another look at the B&W CM4's... but I'm getting off track here. Back to the issue at hand.

The ********** site has some specials listed.

This one might interest you ( http://**********/specials.shtml# ):

Diva 4.1 ($699 regular, $599 special)

Diva C3 ($499)

Diva 2.1 ($399, free)

===============

$1098 + Shipping. (confirm that these prices are right on the site if you are interested.)

For HT, people seem of the opinion that the dipole Diva R3's are better. There isn't a special/package listed on the ********** site with the R3's that in your range, but you can call av123 and see if they can do anything for you.

Also I haven't heard the 4.1's, just the 6.1's. You can find out more about the Diva's on the unofficial faq site ( http://www.audioenvy.com/diva ).

I also recommend listening to as many speakers in your range as your local area carries. The ones in my area carry JMLabs, NHT, B&W, PSB, Definitive Technology, and Paradigms. At least those are the ones that should carry something in your price range.

#1 rule. Listen

#2 rule. Listen again.

#3 rule. make sure you follow rules 1 and 2 for more then 1 speaker brand. :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!!

I looked at the Diva's and they just look amazing, for that price.

However, as I live in Sweden, the budget is not exactly the same as it would had been in the US.

The price tag for the Divas (4.1+2.1+C3) would be around 2300US$ here. (in comparison a single pair of C4's costs around 1300US$).

Is it possible to to ship speakers from the US to Sweden by any means that doesn't cost way too much?

Well I'll run down to the local music store to listen to the Divas this following week end to see if they sound as good as they look....=).

·
Registered
319 Posts
*ack* $2300US. Sorry didn't know you were in Sweden. Don't know if you called ********** to see if they ship to your area and how much it'd cost, but I have a feeling that it's not going to work. Also if you look at the faq, you'll see that av123 is an exclusive dealer, that's why I suggest www.audioenvy.com since it is owner driven. But I have a feeling you will have a hard time finding one in your area. You could try checking out swans directly, but I can't help you there.

So I guess looking into the other brands I mentioned would be more relavent to you. Basically just rules 1-3 again for the brands in your local area. Then if you want start comparing the one(s) you like best with other outside your local area. I'm sure that way you find one that is acceptable.

Good luck

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve6387
5.1? Front and surrounds.

B&W's

* CDM1NT or DM603 S3 for mains

* DM601 S3 for surrounds

This will be in your range. You might have enough left over for a center if you need one.

PSB, paradigm, and Divas are also speakers I would also be looking at in that price range.

Where can a person start looking for B&W speakers? It's not in the local Good Guys or anything like that. I'm opting for the Klipsch Reference for exactly this same reason. They're readily available at GG. But where are the B&W's?

Can you provide a link?

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.