AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
the two sets of terminals are for biamping or biwiring your speakers. Don't worry about it, no real advantage doing this with those speakers IMHO.

Just leave the the metal jumpers in place and use the bottom set of terminals.

If you really care to learn about biamping speakers just do a search and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know. Your head may explode from reading too much and all the arguments back & forth of the advantages and if it is a waste of time.

·
Registered
707 Posts
+1 -- do leave the jumpers in place. Then it won't make much of a difference (unless you can bi-amp).

Some of the (larger) Polk speakers from that line, I believe the Monitor 70 and possibly the Monitor 60 actually use the two sets of terminals separately -- the upper terminal for the tweeter and midrange, and the lower terminal for the woofers. Your best bet, assuming you're only using one channel from your receiver, is to leave the jumpers in place and ignore the extra pair of plugs.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull /forum/post/19582990

Some of the (larger) Polk speakers from that line, I believe the Monitor 70 and possibly the Monitor 60 actually use the two sets of terminals separately

I agree with your advice to leave the jumpers in place and just connect to one pair of terminals, but I certainly hope that Polk isn't making speakers with "dummy" biwire terminals. If a speaker has two sets of terminals, they should work as G-Bull describes when you remove the jumpers, no matter if they are the cheapest speakers in the line or not.

Bi-wiring probably seems either daunting or exciting depending on your perspective. However, as others have pointed out, there is much debate about any advantages. So that means the advantage is likely at least small, if it exists at all. So you can just leave the jumpers in place and wire the speakers normally (using one pair of terminals -- it doesn't matter which ones, so long as you have one +/red and one -/black). You won't be missing much, and most say that you won't be missing anything at all by just using one pair of wires and not bi-wiring.

-Max

1 - 5 of 5 Posts