AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after lurking around here for a while I bought the Pioneer SC 1522 K for $599.99 at Costco a couple of days ago. The Bridgewater, NJ Costco still had about a dozen of them when I picked up mine. Now I need a nice set of speakers, budget about $600.

The only problem is that around where I live in the Princeton, NJ area there aren't many places where I can go listen to some speakers prior to making a decision. Of course there is HH Gregg, Best Buy, PC Richards and not much else. To the members here who live in and around NJ/NY, where do you go to get a demo of speakers?

50% of the time I'll listen to music, 50% TV/Movies. Without the benefit of listening to any speakers that many here rave about, and given my budget, which speakers would you recommend that i buy for this great receiver? Your feedback/comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If your speaker budget is $600 you spent way too much of your budget on a receiver... Do you really need that much receiver...what things did it have that drove you to it?

Not to say it isn't good..but why throw in a sports car engine in a Yugo?

You say set of speakers but then talk about HT which is normally 5.0. What about a sub?

How big is your room. WIll people be sitting off axis? (not centered)

For HT a sub is a must...the lowest cost I can recommend at all would be a Klipsch at 300 delivered...which would give you 300 for speakers. If you return that receiver and buy one around $250ish...that will open up your options allot.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Keep the receiver. I would buy one too at that price if I had a chance. And my "mains" are $100 a piece. NHT SuperZeros, which BTW I would recommend if your room is not large. My room is 1650 cubic feet and being driven with 50 watts/channel I can get in the upper 90db range at the LP.

So, $200 for a pair of SZs and $400 for a sub, maybe stretch it to $500 and get a SVS PB or SB 1000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the Pioneer SC 1522 K because I just couldn't pass up on the opportunity to get an excellent receiver at that price.

I like all the features of the Pioneer SC 1522 K - network ready, airplay, etc. Plus, should my circumstances change in the future I would only have to spend on a more expensive speakers. The family room is 24 x 34 and people sit off axis.

By speakers what I meant was any set up, including a subwoofer in order for me to listen to music, watch tv, movies, etc.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Personally, I would recommend that you listen to the second generation of Pioneer speakers designed by Andrew Jones.

I had a pair of the SP-FS52 towers connected on my system and they sound excellent. On their own, they're a little bass-shy for my taste so I highly recommend a sub for these towers. They have excellent mid-range clarity and extended highs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts