AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V530 with Magnat Vintage 410 fronts, Magnat Vintage center 4 and Canton MX10 rears. I'm planning an upgrade in stages. First the receiver with fronts & center speaker, then the surrounds, then the sub and perhaps later an upgrade to 7.1.

After some listening sessions I know my new receiver will be a Yamaha RX-V3900, but now for the speakers.

I've narrowed it down to these fronts:

1. MA Silver series RS-6

2. Focal Chorus 806V

4. B&W CM1

4. B&W 685

Of course, the center would be from a matching series, the rears would be the old Magnats at first, later I'll upgrade to matching bookshelf speakers.

I like the Monitors best, but the problem is that my room is a square room of about 200 square feet (19 square meters).

Setup usage will be: 60% movies, 40% music, all kinds of music, from dance to classical.

The questions:

1. Can I place the Monitor RS-6s close to the wall, or will they get boomy? And isn't it a bit overkill in such a small room?

2. I Can't find a place where I can listen the Focal speakers on a Yamaha receiver. I've compared the Focals and the Monitors on a Marantz receiver and the Focals displayed about the same amount of detail, so a close second to the Monitors. Does this mean the Focals will sound pretty much the same as the Monitors on a Yamaha receiver?

3. Won't the much more dynamic, crispier sound from the Monitors and Focals become a bit too much in a small room?

4. If so, I'll go for the B&W's, that deliver a smoother, warmer sound, but with less sparkle. Except for a lack of bass on the 685, I liked the CM1 and the 685 about the same, so the 685 would be a nice choice, being about 200 euros a pair cheaper. Can the 685s deliver enough bass in a small room?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGroteMuis /forum/post/16967561

4. If so, I'll go for the B&W's, that deliver a smoother, warmer sound, but with less sparkle. Except for a lack of bass on the 685, I liked the CM1 and the 685 about the same, so the 685 would be a nice choice, being about 200 euros a pair cheaper. Can the 685s deliver enough bass in a small room?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Well I can vouch for the Yamaha + B&W combo as I have a Yamaha RX-663 and B&W 685's and the sound together is very good. Although my 685's serve rear surround duty I've played around with them as front mains plenty of times and even compared them back to back with the other 600 series. I would go the next step and get a good power amp like the Emotiva XPA series if your receiver has pre outs like mine. As far as bass? Most musical bass should be good, but for movies/LFE I'd say pair them with a sub.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The one nice thing about B&W's is that they come with little foam port plugs that you can use to tailor the bass response so you can back them up close to the wall and retain the evenness in the bass (I don't know about the others whether they have this option)

The other option is to go for a front port speaker like the Paradigm Studio 10 or a sealed design like NHT Classic 3. I've had both in my room and they worked well in my tiny living room and I could back them up against the wall with less noticable bass boominess

I do agree that a warmer speaker seems to work better (for me at least). I had my CM1 in my room and then they were replaced with Studio 10, and I think I preferred the CM1 sound. The Studio 10 always sound lean even though they measure very well frequency response wise, so the CM1 sounded more balanced in my room

1 - 3 of 3 Posts