AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a situation where I have a substantial credit with a specific audio retailer, but they're too far away for me to visit their store and personally audition anything. On top of that, there's only two hi-fi shops in my vicinity, both of which carry entirely different brands/ranges to the retailer I've got the credit with.

Bottom line is I'm flying blind (well, deaf) here, so I need your expert opinions to help guide me in the right direction!

With the credit I have, I'm thinking of buying both front and center speakers for my small (11' x 15') living room. Rear speakers can wait until later, and will most probably end up being in-ceiling jobs so I'm not losing too much floor space. For reference I have a Harman Hardon AVR-630 (7x75w/2x90w) to run everything.

I'd really I'd like to get away without needing a subwoofer if possible - I don't need earth-shattering 18Hz rumbles - just enough bass to fill out music properly and give the odd SFX on movies some justice. As noted, the room is quite small, so I'm hoping this is not just a fantasy
~80% of my usage will be 2ch music listening.

Here's the options I have that'll slot into my budget:

Polk: Monitor 70 with CS2 center

Infinity: Beta 40 with C360 center

Monitor Audio (Bronze-R): BR-6 with BR-LCR center

Monitor Audio (Silver-RS): RS-1 with RS-LCR center

Boston Acoustics: VR2 with VRC center

Klipsch: RF-52 with RC-52 center

Jamo: C-607 with C-60 center

B&W: 601 S3 with LCR60S3 center

The B&W and the Monitor Silver's are both bookshelf systems, so probably won't give me the bass extension I'm looking for, but then again on-paper specs usually don't mean a lot anyway, so I've incuded them on the list JIC someone thinks they can do the job.

It's also possible that I might be able to pull-off a deal good enough to include the Jamo C-805's with a C-80 center within my budget.

I'm not expecting anyone to be familair will all of the speakers listed, but I'm hoping there's some of you that own or have audtioned one or two of the options and can give me some feedback.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've no doubt the 601's will sound nice for what they are, my concerns with them (having previously owned a pair of B&W's Matrix 1's) is that they just won't have any worthwhile bottom end extension/output, so I'd need to add a subwoofer to anchor them. Given the my room is so small, I really just don't have any place to put a sub where I won't be tripping over it

The other potential downside is that B&W have released the 4th generation 600 series abroad, but I can only get the (now outdated) series 3 models..

Any feedback on the other options?

·
Registered
408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRazr /forum/post/0

I've no doubt the 601's will sound nice for what they are, my concerns with them (having previously owned a pair of B&W's Matrix 1's) is that they just won't have any worthwhile bottom end extension/output, so I'd need to add a subwoofer to anchor them. Given the my room is so small, I really just don't have any place to put a sub where I won't be tripping over it

The other potential downside is that B&W have released the 4th generation 600 series abroad, but I can only get the (now outdated) series 3 models..

Any feedback on the other options?

Why did you mention them if you already dismissed them as an option?

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowenbotten /forum/post/0

Why did you mention them if you already dismissed them as an option?

Good point lowenbottom

To the OP: imo, I think the B&W's will still give you better sound (including low-end) than the other speakers mentioned. I dont see not having the latest generation of speakers as a problem - it's how the ones that are available sound compared to the others in your list...if you wait long enough I'm sure the latest models will eventually be available here...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't dismissed them at all, but as noted I did include them and the Monitor Silvers's as outside chances because I'm assuming I'd be sacrificing a lot of bass output (important for my ~20% HT usage) by going to a bookshelf.

Given my experience with the original matrix 1's, I don't hold out much hope of the 601's having a strong bottom end (subjectively speaking I'd say the Matrix 1's didn't have any usable output below 60Hz or so). If I'm wrong about the 601's, please tell me - it'll be great news for an old B&W fan!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 602 S3's with LCR60 S3 center will put me about USD$200 over budget, which doesn't sound like a lot, but in my particular cirumstances, is

The thing that worries me is the paper specs - even the 602's only get down to [email protected] - given their comparatively shallow roll-off they'll be fine on most music (albeit a little weak on some of the music styles I listen to), but will more than likely fail miserably for HT.

Please remember that I *have not* listened to these speakers at all, so I'm going by published spec and how that relates to my collective experience (which is modest at best).

From my point of view, 35Hz sounds low, but 45Hz doesn't - there's a lot of information to be had in those 10Hz - information that may be lost if I go the B&W route. Of course it could also be aruged that there's 19951Hz+ of information that'll sound worse if I don't!

That's the conundrum. And why I'm hoping that one of the larger format alterntives I've listed might get me closer to my overall needs without sacrificing too much SQ along the way.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
The VR2's are decent sounding speakers IMO, but I dislike the VRC(as do most folks that like/have BA speakers).

If you can find the VR12 or VR14 Center(ebay-Audiogon, etc...), I'd do that instead..... by a longshot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the market for for a new 5.1 system. I was hoping to get som opinions.

My room is 12'6" X 14' and i was looking for speakers to hang on the wall. I just auditioned the Focal 3-Sib XL (one being the center) w/ 2-Sib rears and the Cub2 system at tweeter. I thought it sounded pretty good. But I hear so much on the forum about the orb sat's. For the Focal system for about $1500 for the orb's $1000.

Has anyone have experienced the SibXL system and is it worth the extra $$$ for the system or are the orb's just as good.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Options

1) 601+LCR60: good sound, but not much bass--BUT you can add a sub down the line.

2) 602+LCR60: Better bass, but still not all the way there, but also over budget.

3) Just a pair of 603. Very good bass and the ideal choice for you since you mention 80% is 2ch music. You can always add a center later.

While 2 & 3 seem to be $200-300 over budget, don't get something you are not happy with (trust me, u'll regret and replace and end up spending more
).

Also with the series 4 already out, they dealer MUST give you a decent discount (atleast 15%) and bring it withing your budget. If he doesn't it would be quite foolish to get speaker right away--wait a couple of weeks until the dealer gets the new series 4 ones. I am assuming you store credit doesn't expire soon?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for verifiying my suspicions on the 601 and 602's.

Of course it seems logical that there will be discounts available on the outgoing 600 Series 3's, but around here logic doesn't always prevail.. I rang my dealer re: the new S4's I was told that they won't be imported until all of the S3's have sold out, and there's no distributor incentives to move them out yet - so it's not looking good on either front (cheap S3's or quick S4's). I'm thinking I might just sit on it for another month and see what transpires - in the meantime I can continue exploring/eliminating alternatives anyway.

Many thanks for the helpful and topical reply!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.