AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have these Fisher ST-515 and believe me, the bass is orgasmic when its connected through a amplifier. But when its connected to a A/V receiver the bass is not really that noticeable. is there something i can do?

A/V Receiver: Yamaha RX-675

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Are you using a sub? If not be sure the speakers are set to large, otherwise the receiver isn't sending lows to the speakers. Read the manual as to how to set it up using only L/R speakers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you using a sub? If not be sure the speakers are set to large, otherwise the receiver isn't sending lows to the speakers. Read the manual as to how to set it up using only L/R speakers.
i am using a subwoofer. Yes the speakers are large, and im using these speakers as surround, i already have L/R speakers. i have also set the speakers to lows.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
i am using a subwoofer. Yes the speakers are large, and im using these speakers as surround, i already have L/R speakers. i have also set the speakers to lows.
Surrounds rarely get enough audio material when in use so even in large format it really is no benefit to larger surround speakers.

Might want to try multi-channel stereo if you receiver allows for that. That way the receiver will be taking a simple stereo signal and have it play the stereo signal accross your full system

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surrounds rarely get enough audio material when in use so even in large format it really is no benefit to larger surround speakers.

Might want to try multi-channel stereo if you receiver allows for that. That way the receiver will be taking a simple stereo signal and have it play the stereo signal accross your full system
I heard that amping a receiver will get more power to speakers, is it worth it though?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I heard that amping a receiver will get more power to speakers, is it worth it though?
No...

What I mean is that when listening to surround mode the surrounds only ever get 5% of the audio signals no matter the power. With Surround sound 75-85% of the audio comes from the center channel it is not due to power it is due to the audio surround mixing. your front left and right get most of the other audio signals with the surrounds only really being active for background sound and the occassional bullet coming from behind you.

If you want your Fisher speakers to come alive don't use those as surrounds make them your front speakers or just use them as a separate stereo set-up

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No...

What I mean is that when listening to surround mode the surrounds only ever get 5% of the audio signals no matter the power. With Surround sound 75-85% of the audio comes from the center channel it is not due to power it is due to the audio surround mixing. your front left and right get most of the other audio signals with the surrounds only really being active for background sound and the occassional bullet coming from behind you.

If you want your Fisher speakers to come alive don't use those as surrounds make them your front speakers or just use them as a separate stereo set-up
They are sound better when being front, but its not getting enough bass. They have a woofer and when i use with my amplifier they sound almost like a subwoofer.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I think the Fisher ST series were produced after the original owner sold, and most speakers produced after he sold weren't very high end and some were terribly cheap...the quality really slipped after the original Mr Fisher sold. Don't really know much about the ST series, however! Second, Fisher speakers aren't very sensitive from what I remember and can tell from looking up specs...so you may need a lot of power to make them sound good...
And yes, it would NOT make any sense to use these as surrounds and it would make even less sense to buy a dedicated amp for your surrounds. Surround content won't have a lot of bass either!
I guess the question is, do you want to spend hundreds of dollars on Amplification for speakers that could be replaced with more sensitive speakers for hundreds of dollars!?

Reactions: Legendary70
1 - 10 of 10 Posts