AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this today and thought it was worth sharing. Can't get much more budget than that!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Thats High Tech! Lets hope that was just a test box! lol

·
Registered
526 Posts
I can't decide if this is full of win or fail

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Its full of win, your the one who told me give some cardboard and tape a go for testing the woofers haha!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
LOL! Reminds me of when I was a kid building speakers out of my shoe boxes. I would take speakers out of different electronics and "mount" them into cardboard shoe boxes. I remember showing my friends how much better speakers sounded inside a box vs. outside it.

dbl

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
When I was 16, I made a sub enclosure from the cardboard box my $25 radio shack 15" woofer came in.

It sounded sooo good, until I went past the first click on the volume knob.. dissapointed.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
i have tried this and it doesn't work.

cardboard has almost no effect - it's almost like hanging drivers in the open air.

the thinnest cabinet that has SOME sort of effect is found in JBL EON 1500 speakers. it flexes SO MUCH in operation ( if you put hand on the side of it ) that it is somewhat surprising that it produces ANY bass. but it does.

perhaps it produces only 1/2 as much bass as a proper cabinet would have produced but then it also weighs half as much as a proper speaker so it's a fair trade off considering it still produces all of the mids and heighs and you can always add a subwoofer to it.

that JBL cabinet is about 3 millimeter thick polypropylene. it consists of two parts which are simply screwed together with a foam gasket - no glue ! now that speaker truly is the most budget speaker that actually works - it still runs $400 though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts