AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving and have a new challenge with placement of our M&K 550 THX Select surround speakers (part of 750 THX system). One side of the new living area is open (no wall), making the placement of the surrounds to the side of the lister on a stand less desireable. Though this appears to be the M&K recommended position, and has been successful for us in our current home.

I'd appreciate feedback on ceiling mounting the speakers above and behind the listening area. To put them close to the rear wall, this would hang them from an 8' ceiling and about 5' behind the listening area. Better from a logistics perspective, but I don't want to sacrifice a lot of sound quality. Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Try hanging them on the sides from the ceiling and invert the speaker so the tweeters are lower than the woofers, remember to swap the left and right surrounds if the speakers are dipoles.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the same problem. In my situation - 7.1, with Klipsch Heresy main and sides - I experimented with positioning the sides (not an easy task with 40 lb. speakers). There was no option for side mounting that could work, and when put at ceiling level they realy seemed to lose something when direct to the side and aimed down, compared to about 3 feet behid the listening area and then angled toward the floor (about 45 degrees). It is excellent for music and HT (much better than I expected - Still is an amazing fill). The two rear speakers are about 5 feet behind the sides.

The real engineering marvel is how I got those babies in the ceiling and angled, but that is a long story for some other time to be accompanied with pictures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.