Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speakers - PSB, Onix, Athena, Wharfedale, Axion

Hi

Audioholics in these forums have made me move away from Polk R50s. These are the speakers I am considering as of now

1. Diamond Wharfedale 9.6

2. PSB Image 6T

3. Aixom Audio M60ti

4. Athena AS-F2.2

5. Onix Rocket RS550

Receivers are

HK AVR 635, Marantz SR-5500, Marantx SR-8400

Please let me know which one is the best set of speakers in your opinion. I like Warm Music and not too Bright. Particularly one that gives least listener fatigue. I use the system for 50/50 for HT and Music.

Raks

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm not so sure any of the speakers you list are going to give you that really "WARM" sound. Again, all of us are different in how we perceive sound and only you can truly decide that for yourself.

I've auditioned all of your list with exception of the Wharfdales and IMHO, you can scratch the AXIOM's for sure and most likely the PSB's from the list for being anywhere close to warm speakers. The ONIX Rocket 550's while not in your face bright, are not an overly warm speaker either. The Athena's, while having a good following on this forum, I don't feel even belong in the same league with the group you've mentioned.

But again, that's just my opinion only. You REALLY do need to audition them yourself (preferably in your own home for a period of time) to decide which of those (if any of them) are for you.

As to your electronics choices.... all are first rate and good choices IMHO.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for letting me know. Can you please let me know any options in that price range which are considered as Warm Sounding Speakers ? I have put together these as the names with my limited research and with my budget ( Max $2000/- for fronts, center and surrounds ) in consideration.

I will highly appreciate your help

Raks

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've heard people comment that Rockets are smooth sounding.

Check them out here: http://www.**********/

Check there packages, you usually save $300 over looking at indivdual prices. They also have a pretty large forum there.

And like someone said, forget Axiom, I've read several times that they can be bright, not that they're bad.

Harman Kardon is a good choice for a receiver for your preference. Onecall.com has a good price for the 635, the lowest on the net and not a scam site, you'll have to add it to the cart to see the price I think. Also, I don't know if Infinity speakers are good, but this looks like a decent bundle with the 635 there:
http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_27026.htm

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Raks, I've only had experience with Rockets and the Axioms. I agree with the other guys that the Axioms would probably not be to your liking. A very good speaker, but accurate and unforgiving.

I have the Rocket 850s which are "warmer" than the Axiom M60s. I've heard that the 550s are similar to the 850s, and they ARE on sale right now for a great price.

One thing you might consider is the Rocket 750s. I've not heard them but they are reputed to be the "warmest" speaker in the Rocket lineup. Sometime in the next few months, Rocket is bringing out the 760, and there should be some good deals on the 750s.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
When I was purchasing speakers, I auditioned speakers and the PSB 6T's were one of the ones I auditioned. If you would like a recommendation that isn't on your list, I would look into a pair of Monitor Audio SR6, wonderful sounding speakers.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax
I have the Rocket 850s which are "warmer" than the Axiom M60s. I've heard that the 550s are similar to the 850s, and they ARE on sale right now for a great price.

One thing you might consider is the Rocket 750s. I've not heard them but they are reputed to be the "warmest" speaker in the Rocket lineup. Sometime in the next few months, Rocket is bringing out the 760, and there should be some good deals on the 750s.
I guess I'm REALLY gonna date myself here.... but my previous "Audiophile" two channel system consisted of the Boston Acoustics flagship (at that time mid 1980's) A-400 floor standers. They were 48" tall.... only 6" deep and 30" wide! Talk about design reversal..... :eek: They were also acoustic suspension speakers (no ports/totally sealed) as opposed to the widely prevalent bass reflex speakers of today. They were "quite" warm and the sound was compared to the "east coast sound" or "British sound" back then. These things had dual 8" woofers, a 4" midrange and a 1" soft dome tweeter. They also had THREE sets of binding posts on the back. Yup... count em.... THREE. They had a "bi-wire" pair which had a 14 gage pair of factory wire jumpers attached and also a separate set for full range operation.

Tight fairly deep bass and plenty of it.... warm lush mid range that was to die for, and clean crisp high ends that were never fatiguing at all. I simply loved that sound. I could listen for hours and hours on end (and often did!) without the least bit of fatigue. I would most likely still own them today had a burglary not relieved me of all of my audio gear amongst other things. :mad:

The closest I found to that warm rich and yet very accurate when called upon mid-range.... were the AUDES Blues. Simply stunning to look at and the sound.... OH SO CLOSE to my old Boston's. Unfortunately, not in the OP's price range at all.

The 750's you recommend Jack, are maybe a bit closer than the 550's, but still not what I would call an overly "warm" speaker. Still though, closer than the AXIOMS for sure. The prices will most definitely be attractive on the used market when the new 760's come out.

Definitely worth checking out Raks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I second having a look/listen at the Monitor Audio's. I have not heard the new RS series but if they are similar the to Silver series then they should be very nice. Try finding the RS6 or RS8.

I also agree that while Athena's are nice they are not in the same boat per say as the Onix, PSB, or Monitor Audio.

By the way, I ended up with Onix after extensive auditioning of everything in my price range that was available at local dealers. But since audio is all opinion, base your choice for your next speakers off your own opinion, after listening to everything you can. :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
I ended up with Onix after extensive auditioning of everything in my price range that was available at local dealers.
Fpar95.... did you end up with the ONIX Rocket 750's?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have 6ts and I really like them, I think the bang for the buck is quite good on PSB speakers. I think klipsch are too bright, and don't think mine are, but I'm driving them with an HK7200, maybe that helps. I didn't really care for monitor, I thought the sound was kind of thin, if you will. Now that I have a sub, maybe it isn't as important, but I liked that the 6t have excellent bass. Dynaudio are the speakers I would most like to upgrade too one of these days.

It's interesting that all your speaker choices are going to be difficult to audition (Athena, if only because BB is a lousy audition location)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FPAR,

What are the other speakers you auditioned before you decided on the Onix Rockets ?

Also, What model of Rockets you ended up with ? Can you please let me know

Thanks

Raks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raks
FPAR,

What are the other speakers you auditioned before you decided on the Onix Rockets ?

Also, What model of Rockets you ended up with ? Can you please let me know

Thanks

Raks
I ended up with 750's (though now have 850's), 200, and 300's. Though I think I liked the MA FX surrounds a little more, but that's splitting hairs. I have to agree with what many people have said about this setup for movies, the RSC200 center is the anchor of it all and really stands out as a top notch performer.

I listened to entire B&W 600 series 3 line, B&W CM series (CM 4, CM C, & CM 2), just about the entire Paradigm Monitor series as well as Paradigm Studio series v.3, Klipsch Reference, Boston Acoustics (can't remember models), two Atlantic Tech THX setups, Monitor Audio (S8, SLCR, FX, & and I think an FB110 sub), PSB (T5 or T6?) and some other various things but you get the idea.

PM me if you want more details or anything, but listening to as much as you can is the best way to find out what sounds best to you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fpar,

Are you saying you liked Onix Rockets RS750 compared to B&W 604 S3 ? Wow....Is it really that good ? Bcoz I had an audition of B&W 604 S3 and I really loved its Musical Presentation ( ofcourse the electronics used for it were all Krell ). But I was amazed hearing to that. But the price is to high for me namely $1400/pair.

Also, you said you liked RS750 comapred to Paradigm Studios v3. Wow...I liked Paradigm also, but B&W 604 was better.

Do you mind posting few pictures of your RS750 (RS850s ) as in your set-up. For some reason for me, I could not like the Onix Rockets aesthetically as shown on their web site. May be your pictures can change my mind.

Thanks

Raks

·
Registered
257 Posts
The 604 and 750 are both about $1,400 so it's not like comparing two totally separate price ranges. Plenty of people have owned B&W and Paradigm and have switched to Rockets, so that's nothing new, and I'm sure it sometimes goes the other way as well. :) It's all about what sounds best to the user and what that particular person is after in a speaker soundwise. The 750's sound pretty different compared to the 604's imo.

If you just want nicer pics of the speakers, browse through the user gallery over on the AV123 forum. Most people seem to like this particular one though, http://forum.**********/photopost/sho...er=580&thumb=1

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
a few months ago I embarked on a search to upgrade from my infinity IL bookshelfs to something much better as my mains....here was teh original threads (here and in axiom forums):
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/sho...b=5&o=0&fpart=
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=525538

as you can see, after much deliberation and auditioning, I ended up with the Swan 6.1 mains and 3C center...could not have been happier....hard to beat in this price range! here is my review:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5540008

you should try www.audioenvy.com and see if there is anyone close to you so you can audition them....they are amazing! ;) .....just another option to consider!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Getting back to your list, I agree that the Rockets and Wharfedales are more what you are looking for. I also have seen Audes blues for sale on Audiogon for $1100 recently. Probably the best of those three makes. IMO.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have had PSBs for about 15 years now - recently bought the T45s and I am very very happy with them. I have found that PSB always offers great performance for the dollar and I really like their sound and imaging.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All,

I sincerely followed the suggestions about auditioning and did audition the following speakers for both HT and Music

1. Totem DCs, Forest, Arros

2. B&W 604, 704, 703

3. Revel Concerta F12

Until now I liked B&W 703, All totems for Music alone ( DC not good for HT ), Revel F12.

I really really liked B&W 703 and Ssabripo suggested that Swan Diva 6.1 sounds very similar to B&W 704. Unfortunately I liked 703 , but not 704. They sound totally different. So My Swan option is doubtful now.

Here are the other auditions i am doing this week or next week

1. Spendor's S5e

2. Quad 22L / 12L

3. Pro Ac Studio 140/130

4. Rega

5. DynAudio Audience 72, 82

I wish I can audition Rocket RS750/RS550 and Swan Diva 6.1s. I really liked the deal on Swan 6.1s. Can anyone let me know how Rockets RS550/750 sound compared to any of the speakers I mentioned above ?

Thanks

Raks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All

What I mean by saying:

"Can anyone let me know how Rockets RS550/750 sound compared to any of the speakers I mentioned above ? "

is...Can anyone suggest me whether the sound signature of Rockets RS550/750 is similar to any of the above speakers ?

Thanks

Raks

·
Registered
623 Posts
Axiom M60s are very close in sound to B&W 703s for a third of their price (for the pair). They were first in my list before I heard about Axioms and auditioned them. If you like 703s and money is not a concern, go with them!! Awesome speakers!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.