AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent a week reading all speaker recommendation in this room. As a newbie, I have learned a lot.

I only have PC 2.0 speakers before so this is the first time I buy and set up a home theater system. I currently have a 42" Plasma 720p, basic cable, DVD player, karaoke player, Wii

This is for a huge master bedroom (20 x 18). We mainly use for karaoke (50%), music (30%), movie,TV(20%).

I plan to spend around $1000 for speakers and receiver. I may want to start with a L R C speakers / sub and will add the surround later since we don't watch movie much. I don't plan to buy a bluray player soon until this November when I will buy a 1080p bigger TV

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontot /forum/post/17042645

I have spent a week reading all speaker recommendation in this room. As a newbie, I have learned a lot.

I only have PC 2.0 speakers before so this is the first time I buy and set up a home theater system. I currently have a 42" Plasma 720p, basic cable, DVD player, karaoke player, Wii

This is for a huge master bedroom (20 x 18). We mainly use for karaoke (50%), music (30%), movie,TV(20%).

I plan to spend around $1000 for speakers and receiver. I may want to start with a L R C speakers / sub and will add the surround later since we don't watch movie much. I don't plan to buy a bluray player soon until this November when I will buy a 1080p bigger TV

Thank you for your help

That's 80% music, and 20% movie, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/17042777

That's 80% music, and 20% movie, right?

Not really
since I read somewhere in this forum that a speaker good for music may not be good for karaoke So I need to specify karaoke when taking recommendation

A better system for movie will be set up later in the living room when I have money

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump. Does "karaoke" make it hard for a recommendation?

Should I say 80% music, 20% movie?

I want to update that I just bought a refurb SR607 from shoponkyo.com. They have a promotion 10% off plus $10 off for a new user.

So total $379 -$38 -$10 + $40(upgrade from 1 to 3 years extended warranty) = $371 FREE SHIPPING, NO TAX

I did try to google karaoke speakers but I do not find any speaker recommendation.

So here is my plan

* L/F speakers will be Polk M60 (cherry), $238 pair at Newegg now

* C speaker will be Polk CS10 or CS20.

So what is the difference? (Is $80 worth the upgrade)

* Sub will be PSW505

* Surround speakers will be added later since wiring my bedroom will be a little tricky (L shape)

I can't find any good deals on C speaker (cherry) and sub now. Could I buy them later (2,3 weeks) while letting the L/R break-in?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Karaoke does make it harder for music. Most receivers can't handle a microphone input signal very well (overload), and most consumer speakers aren't robust enough to handle a live mike. If you don't blast the system, you can get away with consumer speakers, but they had better be higher sensitivity than the dainty little things that get recommended around here. Polk makes some decent stuff in that price range, with good output. I'd look at Klipsch and even Cerwin Vega, just for the rugged factor.

Karaoke in the bedroom. I like the way you roll...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I am not sure if it makes any difference but we will use a karaoke player (Arirang, I try to find a good English specs for it but I can't). I see a similar set up (mics - karaoke player - receiver - 2.1 consumer speakers) at a relative house. The sound is fine for us. I will check the exact model of their receiver and speakers and upgrade later.

By the way, if you want to buy a Polk M60 (cherry) pair, the best price now is

$238 (use promo code EMCLWNM45) - $28 (10% Bing cash back of $279 original price, you have to search "newegg" to get it, otherwise it is only 6%) - $20 ($20 off $200 when paid by Paypal) = $190 / pair

Yeah we have karaoke in the bedroom, pool in the living room and no sofa yet. Kinda strange but we enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/17057564

Karaoke does make it harder for music. Most receivers can't handle a microphone input signal very well (overload), and most consumer speakers aren't robust enough to handle a live mike. If you don't blast the system, you can get away with consumer speakers, but they had better be higher sensitivity than the dainty little things that get recommended around here. Polk makes some decent stuff in that price range, with good output. I'd look at Klipsch and even Cerwin Vega, just for the rugged factor.

Karaoke in the bedroom. I like the way you roll...

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Karaoke in the bedroom? Why kind of ........

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would think you would def want the larger more expensive center channel to increase the volume of vocals for karaoke. Then again you may just get away with two high quality monitors and leave out the center (more of a phantom center), it would be better for 2 channel playback anyways...

·
Registered
460 Posts
You could look at something like this since you have been looking at Polk and wouldnt mind having towers. Grab two of them, set your Receiver to "No Center Channel" and add the PSW505 sub you mentioned... These are $200 each plus $250 for the sub you mentioned added to the $379 you payed for the receiver, that only brings you to $1029...

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon...1210217&sr=1-1

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.