AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I think I'm looking for speakers for my bedroom (10x13')

At first I was thinking of getting an headphone because I want a better sound experience and not loud so my mom can't hear it from my room. Also i'm profound deaf and wearing hearing aids doesnt help me to enjoy watching movies/tv and gaming.

A couple people mentioned that it not a great idea for me to wear headphone because of feedback and may be a bit diffcult for my hearing aids to recieve the sounds nicely.

So I thought about the sound bar and came here to see what people are saying. It seems like sound bar is fine and it is better than tv speakers but speakers give better overall full deep sounds that make you feel that you are in the movie/tv/game.

I think I want to get speakers for my 40" Samsung smart tv. I can't remember the code number for it because it got a little issue with dark scenes when I can see pixels of different shades of black.

What do you guys recommend for me? Ask me questions if you need me to narrow down the options.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,476 Posts
A couple people mentioned that it not a great idea for me to wear headphone because of feedback and may be a bit diffcult for my hearing aids to recieve the sounds nicely.
Nonsense. My uncle wears a hearing aid and quite enjoys his Sennheiser wireless headphones that he got for Christmas last year. I would try it for yourself first to see if it will work. Best Buy has it on sale at the moment, and you can easily return it if you don't like it:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennhei...lack/8673223.p?id=1218769056696&skuId=8673223

A soundbar is going to require you cranking up the volume just as loudly (if not more so, since they usually don't have the best clarity) as normal speakers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nonsense. My uncle wears a hearing aid and quite enjoys his Sennheiser wireless headphones that he got for Christmas last year. I would try it for yourself first to see if it will work. Best Buy has it on sale at the moment, and you can easily return it if you don't like it:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennhei...lack/8673223.p?id=1218769056696&skuId=8673223

A soundbar is going to require you cranking up the volume just as loudly (if not more so, since they usually don't have the best clarity) as normal speakers.
will check out sennheiser

what normal speakers do you recommend if I decided to not do the headphone or it just doesn't work for me

·
Registered
18,476 Posts
will check out sennheiser

what normal speakers do you recommend if I decided to not do the headphone or it just doesn't work for me
That depends on a number of factors:

What's your maximum budget?

What kind of content do you usually watch? (news? sports? dramas? comedies? blockbuster action/thrillers?)

How close to the TV do you sit?

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
I would also check these out:
http://rbhsound.com/hp1b.php

I really like Sennheiser too, but I was able to demo a number of RBH headphones recently and was very impressed with the the sound quality for the price.

Also you can get some long cords if you don't want to worry about feedback over wireless. These sounded amazing and I oredered a pair:
http://rbhsound.com/hp2.php

I actually own several pairs of more expensive Sennheisers and I found the RBH headphones to be superior even though they were cheaper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Maybe $1000 canadian or maybe more ... can audio system get built over time?

because I want to eventually use them when I get my own place and have a decent tv watching/gaming space

I watch sports, tv shows, dramas, comedies, movies, netflix, video games... not big on thrillers because thrillers theme movies seem to suck lately lol

I'm about 8ft away from the tv

Oh cool I will check out those links

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
Maybe $1000 canadian or maybe more ... can audio system get built over time?

because I want to eventually use them when I get my own place and have a decent tv watching/gaming space

I watch sports, tv shows, dramas, comedies, movies, netflix, video games... not big on thrillers because thrillers theme movies seem to suck lately lol

I'm about 8ft away from the tv

Oh cool I will check out those links

Not to sound rude but if you have excessive hearing loss I am not sure more expensive speakers would be worth the money? I would push you to invest in nice headphones. My father has excessive hearing loss too and I bought him some very nice Sennheisers and he has never looked back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to sound rude but if you have excessive hearing loss I am not sure more expensive speakers would be worth the money? I would push you to invest in nice headphones. My father has excessive hearing loss too and I bought him some very nice Sennheisers and he has never looked back.
lol no problem... got a tough exterior

beside the RBH headphone won't work because I live in Canada and they only have two locations and I ain't ordering them online since I can't try them on. I will stick to the canadian best buy or something similar.

I haven't decided on the headphone vs speakers debate... I just want to gather information before I go to a store and check them out... better to be prepared than getting told by some sale rep telling me that I need this or that and over pay for my needs

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
lol no problem... got a tough exterior

beside the RBH headphone won't work because I live in Canada and they only have two locations and I ain't ordering them online since I can't try them on. I will stick to the canadian best buy or something similar.

I haven't decided on the headphone vs speakers debate... I just want to gather information before I go to a store and check them out... better to be prepared than getting told by some sale rep telling me that I need this or that and over pay for my needs
Ah yes Canada.. Missed that part.. In terms of speakers in your budget you will have lots of options. You should be able to find/demo some Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers locally. They can play loud and clear with no distortion and are in your price range. PSB are nice too. Look into SVS in Canada. In the US they have a 45 day free trial with free shipping both ways but I am not sure about Canada.

And I totally get wanting to try on the headphones. The Sennheiser are nice for sure but I prefer corded vs wireless. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah yes Canada.. Missed that part.. In terms of speakers in your budget you will have lots of options. You should be able to find/demo some Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers locally. They can play loud and clear with no distortion and are in your price range. PSB are nice too. Look into SVS in Canada. In the US they have a 45 day free trial with free shipping both ways but I am not sure about Canada.

And I totally get wanting to try on the headphones. The Sennheiser are nice for sure but I prefer corded vs wireless. Good luck!
SVS is similar to RBH... only a couple locations in Canada

So i will go check out klipsch and PSB... any pros and cons between the two?

why corded headphones over wireless? isn't it easier to move around being wireless?

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
SVS is similar to RBH... only a couple locations in Canada

So i will go check out klipsch and PSB... any pros and cons between the two?

why corded headphones over wireless? isn't it easier to move around being wireless?
Thye use different types of tweeter designs with the Klipsch being a little more bright. I found the lower end Klipsch speakers of the past to be somewhat harsh, but the new Reference Premier line seems to have corrected that with a new design. PSB is a Canadian based company who makes some nice speakers. Not quite as dynamic as the Klipsch but for the money they have a nice sound.

For wireless vs wired I had some issues with static with my wireless Sennheisers and I hated that I would forget to charge them and they would be dead. Granted it's been years since I bought them so maybe the quality has improved but the wired sounded better to me. Pros and cons to both.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thye use different types of tweeter designs with the Klipsch being a little more bright. I found the lower end Klipsch speakers of the past to be somewhat harsh, but the new Reference Premier line seems to have corrected that with a new design. PSB is a Canadian based company who makes some nice speakers. Not quite as dynamic as the Klipsch but for the money they have a nice sound.

For wireless vs wired I had some issues with static with my wireless Sennheisers and I hated that I would forget to charge them and they would be dead. Granted it's been years since I bought them so maybe the quality has improved but the wired sounded better to me. Pros and cons to both.
thats great that premier line fix the past problems

I might get speakers and headphone because of late night when my parents are sleeping, i can use the headphone for that reason

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
What part of the country are in (closest major city )?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What part of the country are in (closest major city )?
I live Oakville/Burlington area... in Ontario

Paradigm is a well respected Canadian speaker manufacturer; use this site to find a dealer in Canada near you.

http://www.paradigm.com/locator/index.php
they got two locations

an independent store called oakville sight and sound and 2001 audio video

I saw their site pricing... it surprising pricey comparing to the other brands... is it really that good of an audio?

maybe I can start with a couple bookshelf speakers? what about KEF Q300B or RTI A1 Polk Audio? and add a subwoofer

·
Registered
8,385 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Lol way too far for a commute ... over 4 hours drive

But thanks for the suggestion

I noticed through out the forum that bookshelf speakers don't have decent bass so subwoofer solve that situation... what is the best subwoofer and receiver?

·
Registered
21,757 Posts
I live Oakville/Burlington area... in Ontario

they got two locations

an independent store called oakville sight and sound and 2001 audio video

I saw their site pricing... it surprising pricey comparing to the other brands... is it really that good of an audio?

maybe I can start with a couple bookshelf speakers? what about KEF Q300B or RTI A1 Polk Audio? and add a subwoofer
The Paradigm website is terrible, when you click on "Bookshelf Speaker" the first and only thing you see is their top of the line bookshelf at $1700 each.

You have to page down to see that they offer a good bookshelf at $200 each or a 2.0 system for $299 and a 3.0 for $449.

Those stores also carry other brands so if you could get to either one it would, at the very least, be educational as to what sound signature you like.

I'm sure the KEFs at $800/pair CAN are very nice and some people like Polks so certainly worth auditioning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol that good

I was a bit taken back by the prices lol

Is paradigm better than elac, Polk, onynk, harmon and klipsch and other similar brands?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
East Hamilton Radio: http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca/
Bay Bloor Radio: https://baybloorradio.com/

Paradigm matches up as well as, or better than, PSB (another great Canadian company), Harmon (Revel), Polk, and Klipsch. They are miles better than Onkyo (good amp/AVR company, but very poor speakers), Precision Acoustics, and other Best Buy (Canada)-level speaker companies.

Another one you may wish to research is Totem Acoustics: https://totemacoustic.com/en/ - another great Canadian company. Their Mite-series has very good reviews and may be within your budget.

A more budget-friendly Canadian company is Fluance: http://www.fluance.com/ They are based in Niagara Falls (about a 1.5-hour drive AT MOST from Oakville - I used to live in Hamilton) and their well-regarded XL5F Towers are on sale at $324.97CAD. They also have a 5.0 setup (2 towers, 2 bookshelf, centre) for $324.99CAD. They offer a risk-free 30-day audition with free 2-way shipping. I believe @Yosh70 has a pair of the XL5F towers and has written a review: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2506465-fluance-speakers-my-quick-review.html

1 - 20 of 78 Posts