AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Denon 2310CI. It is hooked up to cable, XBOX 360 and my HTPC. When I listen to music with my HTPC (optical connection/VLC media player) it sounds extremely bright. So bright that the tweeters sound like they're crackling a little. If I change the eq on VLC it'll go away for a few tracks then come back, if I change the eq again it'll go away for a few tracks and come back again. I don't have this problem with the cable, video games, or anything else. Is it a VLC thing maybe? Anyone have any thoughts on this? Speakers are JBL Northridge E20's (those are the only two that get used for audio, stereo mode).

·
Registered
6,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20834369

Are you using the Audyssey MultEQ setting? Have you tried Audyssey Flat?

The normal Audyssey curve has a roll off on the top end, so if anything it would sound less "bright" than the flat setting wouldn't it?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im actually not using Audyssey at all. I manually set everything, but like I said its something that only happens when Im playing music through the PC. It doesn't happen when watching movies on cable, or xbox 360 games. Just music through VLC, so I doubt I would need to use Audyssey. It's so bright sometimes that the tweeters crackle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova0002 /forum/post/20835217

Im actually not using Audyssey at all. I manually set everything, but like I said its something that only happens when Im playing music through the PC. It doesn't happen when watching movies on cable, or xbox 360 games. Just music through VLC, so I doubt I would need to use Audyssey. It's so bright sometimes that the tweeters crackle. Any ideas?

My first thought would be don't use it, tweeters shouldn't crackle.

I would try a different input on the Denon, a different optical cable, or a different delivery method from your HTPC, maybe HDMI if it has it or coax, heck even analog.

If you're not using the Audyssey of the 2310 you're missing out on arguably it's best feature. Check out the link to the Audyssey Guide on jdsmoothie's signature, I highly reccommend it.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova0002 /forum/post/20835217

Are you using WASPI or ASIO drivers? Download a trial of J River Media Center and see if it allows you to use ASIO. With ASIO you will be bypassing windows mixer and if the sound improves then there is something wrong with your mixer setting etc.

·
The Village Idiot
9,560 Posts
VLC Media player has an equalizer/tone controls - look under Tools>Effects and Filters and try adjusting the sound. Check that you have the latest version - 1.1.11.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts