AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if I wall mount my rear Infinity Primus 150 speakers to the back wall? Will it negatively impact the sound quality? They have rear facing ports, and also I've heard that placing speakers too close to the walls can have negative effects on imaging and such...

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Are they designed to be wall-mounted?

It will probably change their characteristics by having a boundary that close to the ports, but I doubt it will damage them. I'd say, test it out, just set them on a table or something right against the wall, does it "negatively impact the sound quality"?

This is fairly room/taste specific, at least on some levels, unless you're measuring response - in which case I'd say just do it and measure what happens.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can hang them with a wire and use spacers at the four corners to get them of the wall or build a shelf on which they stand forward from the wall. Or turned towards the center and down if they are higher up will get the port opening probably enough away from the wall. As far as imaging, you need to look at the reflections you will get, but the rears provide maybe 10% of the sound, so it's not nearly as important as getting the front right.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Mounting speakers directly on the wall is usually not a good idea. I suggest to use proper wall mounts permitting them to be few inches from the wall and also angled down if necessary. You can also use TV mounts for that purpose (in some cases it works better), but it requires some minor fabrication.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20911503

The Primus 150 has a front-facing port.

You are right, my mistake. Still though, I've heard that simply placing the speaker too close to the wall can degrade sound quality and imaging. It's not a problem to build a sufficient sized shelf for the front speakers, although the rear speakers are right above a bed, therefor the shelf cant be too large or it will make the area uncomfortable. The primus 150's are about 10.5" deep, and the shelf is about 11.75" deep. Is this going to be a problem? I will angle the speakers down with rubber wedges so that the tweeters are firing closer to ear level.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20927152

The issue is boundary interaction. For a front-ported bookshelf speaker a few inches from the wall, it's nothing to worry about.

if anything, the closer it is placed to the front wall the higher in frequency the SBIR null, and thus, the easier to treat with porous insulation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.