AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Would these speakers be okay for this amp. The amp is rated at 145W per channel. I always get confused on this.

Speakers ( Klipsch Synergy B-20 Bookshelf Speakers)-  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780029

Receiver (Sony STRDH540 5.2-Channel) -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105711

I'm on a budget and wanted to start out with some bookshelf speakers and add on later. I just don't want to blow anything up.

I kinda want these  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290268  but I'm affraid it would kill them. I have no idea. That's why I'm here asking. Thanks for everyone's time.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimp7255  /t/1520179/speakers-vs-receiver-too-much-power-for-speakers#post_24418451

I just don't want to blow anything up.
That's why they put volume controls on receivers.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Are those speakers fronts?! Your main speakers really should cost more than your reciever...

I will assume you will be upgrading front later. If you push the speakers hard, well, don't!

·
Banned
5,023 Posts

Quote:
Are those speakers fronts?! Your main speakers really should cost more than your reciever
Probably so most cases but a ~$250.00 - 5.1 is hardly high end and quite likely going to last longer than a $120.00 - 5 .1 receiver and provide an upgrade path

as far as speakers go .

OTOH The OP could get better speakers and a cheaper receiver that's true and have to upgrade both instead of just the speakers later but at these price points the selection either way is not overwhelming .

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Since Receiver technology changes much faster than speaker technology, I would always recommend getting the cheapest AV-r that meets your needs. Just look at those, 5 years ago who bought recievers with no HDMI...

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have to agree on that. About 6 years ago I over-bought on my receiver and under-bought on my speakers. Now I need to consider replacing both - speakers because I am ready for an upgrade, and receiver because there are so many goodies to consider (better Audyessy, better dynamic range control, Airplay, internet connectivity, etc).

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1520179/speakers-vs-receiver-too-much-power-for-speakers#post_24421442

Since Receiver technology changes much faster than speaker technology, I would always recommend getting the cheapest AV-r that meets your needs. Just look at those, 5 years ago who bought recievers with no HDMI...

+1

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1520179/speakers-vs-receiver-too-much-power-for-speakers#post_24421442

That's why I don't buy expensive AV amps, if you spend £2000 on a AV within a few years it's worthless.

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
I would go for better speakers than the Klipsch. Speakers, especially in the more inexpensive system, make the most difference. As to power output, Sony, like most manufacturers, lie like dogs when it comes to power ratings. I would doubt you could get over 70 or 80 watts with all channels driven. That said, in most situations, it is better to overpower a speaker than underpower it, causing clipping and speaker damage. If you hear the speaker breaking up and distorting, just turn it down.

In that price range, these would be a much better selection, IMO: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.