AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am very new to these forums and also pretty new to setting up speakers so hopefully my questions make sense.

Anyways, I have recently inherited a pair extremely large speaker boxes from my dad, but for some reason there is no make or model on either of them. EDIT: they are actually Acoustic D.J.P. Series. I believe (def could be wrong) that each one has a sub woofer, speaker and two other things that look tweeters(?). Also there is no wiring for either just speaker terminals on both.

My question is what would I have to do to be able set up these speakers with my computer? Currently I am using Bose Companion 2 speakers which are nice but they don't have the thump I am looking for. I do not have a sound card but my mobo does support 7.1, the make is Gigabyte x58a-ud3r. I know I will need to get some wiring but not exactly sure what to get and possibly an amp? Like I said I'm not very savvy on how things need to work.

If somebody could give their expert opinion that would be awesome. Just let me know if you need any other information from me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
You need an amplifier to power the speakers.

Run a cable from the sound card to an input on the amp, then connect speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.

·
Super Moderator
14,653 Posts
Run a splitter cable (3.5mm plug to L+R RCA) from your sound card to an input on a new or gently-used integrated amplifier or receiver (something with, say, 50 to 100 watts RMS per channel should do). Then run speaker wire (14ga. or 16ga. from your local hardware store) from the L+R main terminals to the L+R speakers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
this is slim, might work on your desk: onkyo A-5VL

maybe the A9555 if more space is allow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.