AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions; I want to get rid of xlarge standing stereo speakers.will a sound bar work with my stereo receiver,direct tv,and tv? or do I have buy some kind of smaller speakers.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Welcome to AVS. Yes, a 2-channel passive sound bar will work if one can find it (the TV and DirecTV hookups won’t change on your receiver, just plug your speaker wire into the sound bar). Or, just dump your receiver and get a powered sound bar. However, a little more information would be nice.

1. How big is your room?
2. How far away are you sitting from your speakers?
3. What is the model of your receiver?
4. What are the speakers you are trying to get rid of?
5. What are you trying to accomplish?

Normally, people look for a nice 5.1 setup to be used for movies and music, but you appear to want to downsize and make life simple (nothing wrong with that).

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
IMO sound bars are great for smaller rooms such as bedrooms. In a living room setup or a theater setup they are a step above tv speakers, but not much in some cases. If you already have a decent receiver I would opt for some quality bookshelf speakers over a sound bar if audio quality is a big concern. If you want a cleaner look than get the sound bar, but spend a little more than the basic ones Walmart carries and you'll be a bit happier with the sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts