AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick RAW video example in very dim light - F1.4, 800 ISO. Graded in Resolve:

Dowloadable, as always.

(I cannot hold this camera steady, and believe me the OIS was smoothing plenty.)

Fast, OIS, aperture ring, and one of the sharpest lenses at all apertures, even wide open.

It does autofocus and auto aperture on the BMPCC.

On the GH4.....wow!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041  /t/1521029/speaking-of-dim-light-and-shallow-dof-the-leica-nocticron-f1-2-on-the-bmpcc#post_24440316

Quick RAW video example in very dim light - F1.4, 800 ISO. Graded in Resolve:

Dowloadable, as always.

(I cannot hold this camera steady, and believe me the OIS was smoothing plenty.)

Fast, OIS, aperture ring, and one of the sharpest lenses at all apertures, even wide open.

It does autofocus and auto aperture on the BMPCC.

On the GH4.....wow!

Very nice, Mark. Nice bokeh from the Nocticron - and nice grade.

Do you think a pistol grip and a Z-finder would help with steady handholding? Or would that be too bulky for your style of shooting?

I have a few lenses I'm anxious to try on the GH4 as well - but none as nice as that Leica!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww  /t/1521029/speaking-of-dim-light-and-shallow-dof-the-leica-nocticron-f1-2-on-the-bmpcc#post_24441216

Very nice, Mark. Nice bokeh from the Nocticron - and nice grade.

Do you think a pistol grip and a Z-finder would help with steady handholding? Or would that be too bulky for your style of shooting?

I have a few lenses I'm anxious to try on the GH4 as well - but none as nice as that Leica!

Thanks. I just got a cheap Z-finder. It may help the steadinesss and also in very bright light for focus check. Will be trying it out, once outdoors becomes more hospitable here.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
This is from the Pocket Cam right? Good stuff.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont  /t/1521029/speaking-of-dim-light-and-shallow-dof-the-leica-nocticron-f1-2-on-the-bmpcc#post_24442517

This is from the Pocket Cam right? Good stuff.

Yes, thanks.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wide open at f1.2:

Youtube version:

Choose 1080p.

The last frame shows the resolution.

Graded in Resolve to get realistic colors (so people on other sites will hate it) with no LUT (a crutch; most of them discolor). This scene was only lit by window light (the previous one was lit by incandescent bulbs at night).

·
Registered
609 Posts
That is very clean, and the bokeh is VERY smooth. I would love to see how the blobs look.

And I would love to see you shooting a video outdoors @ f/1.2, with people and stuff happening. I guess that to do that you would need to start using manual focus, because AF and shalloww DOF dont match very well.

Shooting wide open would completely change the look of your videos, from documentary style to cinematic style - even with a natural grading.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedest  /t/1521029/speaking-of-dim-light-and-shallow-dof-the-leica-nocticron-f1-2-on-the-bmpcc#post_24448871

That is very clean, and the bokeh is VERY smooth. I would love to see how the blobs look.

And I would love to see you shooting a video outdoors @ f/1.2, with people and stuff happening. I guess that to do that you would need to start using manual focus, because AF and shalloww DOF dont match very well.

Shooting wide open would completely change the look of your videos, from documentary style to cinematic style - even with a natural grading.

It would be very interesting, but: The issue for outdoors wide-open shooting is: to keep the shutter angle at 180 (1/60th), one would need one heck of an ND filter to reduce the light. And some say at ND over 1, you get IR pollution and need a filter for that (though I think this is exaggerated, as the mud look in many videos is mostly due to incompetence in grading, not IR pollution). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Im always using my adjustable ND filter. Yes, an adjustable ND is not as good as a single ND. BUT, the worst part of those filters are usually the corners. The center tends to be very good. So I bought a 72mm filter. To put it on the lens I use a cheap step up ring. Buying big filters is always good, because they will fit all of your lenses - you just have to buy cheap step up rings to fit their diameters.

So that way you will use only the sweet spot of your filter, you will be able to adjust it on the go, and you wont have a considerable image degradation. If you dont care about the resolution hit caused by the OIS, you wont mind about the adjustable ND, since the hit is smaller.

The adjustable Polaroid ($40) does a great job against more expensive filters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts