AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been shopping for DVDs for awhile (so this may be old news) but I noticed a couple new additions on the shelf at BB recently... a 15 episode Starhunter 2-Pak from Platinum Disk Corp. and the 70's British miniseries Quatermass from A&E.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't expect miraculous PQ (or acting, for that matter) from the Starhunter disks. In order to squeeze 7-8 episodes on each disk, they had to drop the video down to about 2 Mbps, which translates into a fair amount of macroblocking/motion artifacts. Just imagine that it's a weak transmission sent from some alien galaxy (that hasn't discovered 16x9 anamorphic technology yet) and you should be okay.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't expect miraculous PQ from the Starhunter disks. In order to squeeze 7-8 episodes on each disk, they had to drop the video down to about 2 Mbps, which translates into a fair amount of macroblocking/motion artifacts. Just imagine it's a weak transmission sent from some alien galaxy (that hasn't discovered 16x9 anamorphic technology yet) in the distant future and you should be okay.

Some brief nudity as well, so I guess this also technically belongs in the "R-Rated" category.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I bought Quatermass and began watching it last Saturday. It has the usual lousy A&E transfer, though I'll wager the original elements were none too good to begin with. The photography itself is contrasty and the colors muted and unpleasant (though considering the subject matter it may have been intentional).

Nigel Kneale was a great sci-fi screenwriter, and this one looks to be no exception. Think Mad Max (the first one) set in an overcast Britain and you get the idea. It's as if the proceedings in Quatermass and the Pit/ Million Years to Earth had proceeded further. I've only watched one show and it's hard to figure just what all is going on, but Britain and possibly the whole world is in a nasty state and from all appearances is going to get a lot worse.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds promising. Been lookin forward to seein this for some time. Also grabbed another budget disk with 13 episodes of Ray Bradbury Theater. Lotsa new sci-fi to watch.

Anybody have an opinion on Crusade or Earth2?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the things I like about Nigel Kneale (author of the Quatermass mini-series and films) is the way he weaves together history (the inclusion of the Stonehenge documentary on the DVD was a nice touch), science, myth, folklore (like the nursery rhyme and "ley" chant) with more modern social themes, fears and anxieties in his fiction.

John Mills is very good in the mini-series, but I think the faster pacing of the theatrical cut (also included) probably worked better for me, and would almost recommend watching that first. Maybe I'll change my mind after seeing it a couple more times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.