AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got the spears and munsil calibration bluray.. what does it mean if the 5-5 and 6-4 and 8-7-8-7 racecar clips are super choppy?? I'm also getting some Moire in the wedge pattern.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
do you ever watch content with these rather obscure cadences?

"5,5 - The cadence of this clip is 5,5, which is 5 fields (2 frames plus 1 field) each image. This cadence is the most common one used when 12 fps animation (often used in TV shows), is transferred to 60i video.

6,4 - The cadence of this clip is 6,4, which is 6 fields (3 frames) of the first image, then 4 fields (2 frames) of the next image, repeating to the end of the clip. This cadence is a less common pattern used when 12 fps animation (often used in TV shows), is transferred to 60i video.

8,7,8,7 - The cadence of this clip is 8,7,8,7, which is 8 fields (4 frames) of the first image, then 7 fields (3 frames plus 1 field) of the next image, repeating to the end of the clip. This cadence is most commonly used when 8 fps animation (often used for Japanese anime), is transferred to 60i video."

Is that a big deal to you? For some people who are big anime fans, maybe, but otherwise...

They will remain very choppy regardless because they are very very low FPS, so even still, i'm not sure that the processing in your system is amiss anyway. It will always appear very jerky. The jerkiness is normal, it should ideally be more or less even jerkiness and without the moire in the seats.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/16906750

do you ever watch content with these rather obscure cadences?

"5,5 - The cadence of this clip is 5,5, which is 5 fields (2 frames plus 1 field) each image. This cadence is the most common one used when 12 fps animation (often used in TV shows), is transferred to 60i video.

6,4 - The cadence of this clip is 6,4, which is 6 fields (3 frames) of the first image, then 4 fields (2 frames) of the next image, repeating to the end of the clip. This cadence is a less common pattern used when 12 fps animation (often used in TV shows), is transferred to 60i video.

8,7,8,7 - The cadence of this clip is 8,7,8,7, which is 8 fields (4 frames) of the first image, then 7 fields (3 frames plus 1 field) of the next image, repeating to the end of the clip. This cadence is most commonly used when 8 fps animation (often used for Japanese anime), is transferred to 60i video."

Is that a big deal to you? For some people who are big anime fans, maybe, but otherwise...

They will remain very choppy regardless because they are very very low FPS, so even still, i'm not sure that the processing in your system is amiss anyway. It will always appear very jerky. The jerkiness is normal, it should ideally be more or less even jerkiness and without the moire in the seats.

I don't.. but didn't know if it mattered. I guess the tv looks good and I should just enjoy it.. but I would like it to be the best it can.

I know nothing really about calibration and stuff.. just walked through the blue ray..

there were some settings that I could never get calibrated. I read something about my bd390 settings needing adjusting..

I guess if my bluray player is off then the tv will never be able to be right.

I'm gonna set the bd390 to the recommended settings and recalibrate.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Don't concern yourself about kinds of content you don't watch. Most of the time you're going to be concerned with filmrate 24p content, and occassionally video-based stuff if you watch concerts or that sort of thing, TV shows, etc. If you were a big anime fan, then the advice would be different, but if you're not then why care?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts