AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1488 Posts

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
What exactly is it capable of providing for a cost of almost 40 bucks is my first question?

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
@T( )( )L Thank you for that link by the way. I think it's probably worth it now that I'm aware of all that's included on it to double check your calibration.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Tyler just got my disc as well :), it look like the red color is clipping on hdr?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Tyler just got my disc as well :), it look like the red color is clipping on hdr?

This is expected on the OLED TVs from what I have seen (I have been beta testing Stacey’s patterns for the last year.)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Two quick questions: 1. Does this disc also include 3D calibration, or did that stop with the HD 2nd edition? 2. Are there adequate instructions and information to assist the non-professional in understanding the goals & adjustments for the various patterns? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The demo montages on this disk are nothing short of absolutely stunning!! What's more viewing them in either HDR10 vs Dolby Vision just go to show the benefits of Dolby Vision, at least in my case viewing on a 7 series LG OLED where as you move up the clips mastered in the higher nit values in HDR10, I can definitely see some clipping of detail, yet in DV there is no detail lost at all. Maybe this has changed a little on the 2019 sets where you can customise different roll off points in HDR, I look forward to finding out for myself next week when I pick up a C9.

Great job by all those involved in the making of this disk

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Two quick questions: 1. Does this disc also include 3D calibration, or did that stop with the HD 2nd edition? 2. Are there adequate instructions and information to assist the non-professional in understanding the goals & adjustments for the various patterns? Thanks!
UHD BD does not support 3D. Current articles on the website will be updated in a couple of weeks for the new disc. A full manual should hopefully be done by end of summer.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
The demo montages on this disk are nothing short of absolutely stunning!! What's more viewing them in either HDR10 vs Dolby Vision just go to show the benefits of Dolby Vision, at least in my case viewing on a 7 series LG OLED where as you move up the clips mastered in the higher nit values in HDR10, I can definitely see some clipping of detail, yet in DV there is no detail lost at all. Maybe this has changed a little on the 2019 sets where you can customise different roll off points in HDR, I look forward to finding out for myself next week when I pick up a C9.

Great job by all those involved in the making of this disk
The 4000 nit montages all hard clip at 4000. This is to visually show you what is clipped. Have you figured out you can jump between different versions by press the up arrow and selecting another version? Same with left and right arrow. Also, when the pop-up is up, you can move it to the left and right side of the screen with the left and right arrows.

I would jump to the peacock feather on the 4000 2020. Then press the right arrow to quickly go to P3 and then 709 to see it change. The red shots show lots of difference between P3 and 709.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
What exactly is it capable of providing for a cost of almost 40 bucks is my first question?
UHD BD is a niche of a niche sadly. Fewer people buy calibration or special discs than feature films. It costs a lot more to author a specialty disc due to the custom navigation. The second edition was $30K just for authoring. That does not include creating, encoding, camera gear, etc... The first two discs were single layer BDs, this one is a triple layer and costs more to replicate. Not many places to replicate a BD100.

This time around the montage was graded by a professional colorist. The montage was shot and finished in 8K HD.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts

Are you talking about the Cr high box or the color space conversion?

Don't know why Cr high clips on the LG OLED. I do know that the color space conversion section does not work on current displays in HDR. SDR is fine. This is because of the gamut and nit limitation. It will work on a true 2020 / 10K nit display.

Best way to check color conversion today is using the HDR color bars and the colour filter option on the LG. I have verified it is correct. (Sadly removed from 2019 models) You can tell the 2017 series does the wrong conversion on 709 by using the colour filter option and the HD color bars under the SDR 709 section.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
The disc serves several groups:

1. End user (if you are looking to buy a new display, then #2 would apply here as well)

2. Reviewers

3. Calibrators

4. CE companies

The first two discs were single layer BDs, this one is a triple layer and costs a lot more to make.
Got it. Thank you. For calibrators to use after they dial in grayscale, gamma and CMS of course.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Got it. Thank you. For calibrators to use after they dial in grayscale, gamma and CMS of course.
For SDR, you can use it to calibrate all of the above. For HDR, its much more difficult because you fight tone mapping while trying to calibrate. For that reason, I consider the window pattern section more of a verification process. The window section is designed to match the HDR Verification workflow in CalMAN.

With that said, when using CalMAN, or other apps, I personally like to use a HW pattern generator for window patterns since it can take a long time and if you have to manually change patterns 2000 times you will want to pull your hair out. :)

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
For SDR, you can use it to calibrate all of the above. For HDR, its much more difficult because you fight tone mapping while trying to calibrate. For that reason, I consider the window pattern section more of a verification process. The window section is designed to match the HDR Verification workflow in CalMAN.

With that said, when using CalMAN, or other apps, I personally like to use a HW pattern generator for window patterns since it can take a long time and if you have to manually change patterns 2000 times you will want to pull your hair out. :)
Makes sense. I calibrated my Sony using HCFR for SDR night mode but I haven't calibrated for HDR yet.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The 4000 nit montages all hard clip at 4000. This is to visually show you what is clipped. Have you figured out you can jump between different versions by press the up arrow and selecting another version? Same with left and right arrow. Also, when the pop-up is up, you can move it to the left and right side of the screen with the left and right arrows.

I would jump to the peacock feather on the 4000 2020. Then press the right arrow to quickly go to P3 and then 709 to see it change. The red shots show lots of difference between P3 and 709.
Yes, I had read something to that effect on the Blu-Ray forum posts and was playing around with the directional buttons to view the different versions. Fantastic work!!

1 - 20 of 1488 Posts