AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1181 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
I love the A/V sync test patterns on this disc. Thank you so much for including these. I don't suppose you would consider releasing a digital file version of these as well? I would love to be able to also test/calibrate my digital streaming devices using these same patterns.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I love the A/V sync test patterns on this disc. Thank you so much for including these. I don't suppose you would consider releasing a digital file version of these as well? I would love to be able to also test/calibrate my digital streaming devices using these same patterns.
We can look into it. Which version did you prefer?

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I agree with you completely--it should not make a difference. However, the people who are arguing that 1080p vs. 2160p test patterns make a difference have posted the Grayscale results from CalMAN showing an approximate 60% increase in black levels when feeding the display 2160 test patterns (.08 vs .05 for the Y0 reading). My gut feel is that they are experiencing an anomaly, perhaps when using the laptop to generate the patterns.

Thanks for your opinion.
It was mentioned to me that on Sony this appears to be the case. I know on Sony that HDR is inherited from SDR. I will have to look at this on my Sony when I have a chance.

·
Registered
413 Posts
We can look into it. Which version did you prefer?
I've been using the 24p Continuous (with config set to TrueHD7.1), but I've only just begun working with the disc, so a bit early to say that is "preferred".

I have a wide range of media streamers (Xbox, ShieldTV, AppleTV, LG TV, etc), and apps that can play local hosted media (Plex, Kodi, Infuse, etc) and would be willing to pay extra for a subset of the content (like the AVSync patterns and demo content) that can be used to validate behavior of specific devices/apps in the overall chain -- not a replacement for the disc (primary system calibration done through UHD), but rather as an extension of it.

Thanks for considering!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Does this disc have pink noise for ATMOS to set levels? I love these discs and am hoping to calibrate audio as well. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
@sspears,

I haven't seen a response to this previous post. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the subject of disabling local dimming?

Thanks,
-phil

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
@sspears,

I haven't seen a response to this previous post. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the subject of disabling local dimming?

Thanks,
-phil
I don't have a good answer today. For evaluation, I leave it on. For Window patterns, I go back and fourth. Certainly on the Dolby PRM Grade 1 monitor, it is left on during calibration.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I don't have a good answer today. For evaluation, I leave it on. For Window patterns, I go back and fourth. Certainly on the Dolby PRM Grade 1 monitor, it is left on during calibration.
Thank you. That's an interesting note about the PRM. In this white paper, Joel Barsotti and Tom Schulte of SpectraCal advocate turning off local dimming for grey scale and saturation measurements. It's not clear to me if this advice is for SDR calibration only or also applies to HDR calibration.

-phil

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Thank you. That's an interesting note about the PRM. In this white paper, Joel Barsotti and Tom Schulte of SpectraCal advocate turning off local dimming for grey scale and saturation measurements. It's not clear to me if this advice is for SDR calibration only or also applies to HDR calibration.

-phil
I believe Joel's been with Amazon for a while, and we do miss him :). My experience with both a Sharp Elite and Samsung QLED is you get better results with it on, which makes sense since that's how it's used. Occasionally you can hit a level which is very close to a zone trigger level and get some weird behavior that confuses AutoCal where a small calibration change triggers a big brightness change, but otherwise I find it much more accurate with it on and manually tweak any weird encounters.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
The good news is that Sony, LG and others have the disc now and will hopefully make improvements with future generation displays, which does not help you at the moment.
Does anyone know when - or whether - Sony will make such improvements to its projectors as well as flat screens? And would such improvements be made in hardware or firmware?

I love my VPL-VW600ES, but of course it lacks HDR. I've been itching to upgrade and I'd like to stay with Sony. But the cost of the top-of-the-line Sonys is high enough that I'm willing to wait until Stacey or someone like him gives his blessing that the requisite improvements have been made. I got burned by buying the 600ES too early and HDR came out only about 1 year after I bought it, sigh.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The filter AVIA included is the same filter we previously included. You can try it and see if it works.

Which display do you have? Samsung and LG have a blue only mode that works. LG removed that in 2019, which is disappointing.
I'm on an Epson 5040UB projector.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Does anyone know when - or whether - Sony will make such improvements to its projectors as well as flat screens? And would such improvements be made in hardware or firmware?

I love my VPL-VW600ES, but of course it lacks HDR. I've been itching to upgrade and I'd like to stay with Sony. But the cost of the top-of-the-line Sonys is high enough that I'm willing to wait until Stacey or someone like him gives his blessing that the requisite improvements have been made. I got burned by buying the 600ES too early and HDR came out only about 1 year after I bought it, sigh.
Usually new features come in the next generation of display. Basically they start working on next years product while the current year gets ready to ship.

I don't consider any projectors capable of true HDR. They are what I call EDR, much like Dolby Cinema. E for enhanced, extended or expanded. Many do enjoy HDR material on their projectors though. Having seen 10,000 nit HDR, 300 nit is not HDR to me is all I am saying.

At a demo we did last week, we had a 55" 10,000 nit UHD prototype on hand to look at. Very exciting!

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
I don't consider any projectors capable of true HDR. They are what I call EDR, much like Dolby Cinema. E for enhanced, extended or expanded. Many do enjoy HDR material on their projectors though. Having seen 10,000 nit HDR, 300 nit is not HDR to me is all I am saying.
I understand. I just want to get my UHD player & PJ to display the best HDR - or EDR - that they're capable of.

At a demo we did last week, we had a 55" 10,000 nit UHD prototype on hand to look at. Very exciting!
55" seems way too small to get excited about. That's bedroom size, where I don't really want 10k nits. :) My home theater screen is 103" diagonal and IMHO size matters.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
This will probably make you cringe Stacey but I am totally a newbie at this.
Why when setting black level am I seeing -2 and -4 bars
The only way to get rid of them is to have a totally black screen with no bars at all showing.
I have turned off auto iris-have Epson TW 9300-6040 PJ
Cheers
john

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
This will probably make you cringe Stacey but I am totally a newbie at this.
Why when setting black level am I seeing -2 and -4 bars
The only way to get rid of them is to have a totally black screen with no bars at all showing.
I have turned off auto iris-have Epson TW 9300-6040 PJ
Cheers
john
SDR 709 Brightness or the Video Setup Brightness, which is HDR?

With your default brightness control, these two bars are visible? The text being visible is fine, but there should be no bars. Do you have an HDMI setting with an auto, high or low value? What is the output of your BD player set to? Look on the projector under Signal->Advanced->HDMI Video Range and see if that can be changed while looking at the brightness pattern.

There is a large range from -4 to +4. I don't think I have ever seen a display do what you describe.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I understand. I just want to get my UHD player & PJ to display the best HDR - or EDR - that they're capable of.

55" seems way too small to get excited about. That's bedroom size, where I don't really want 10k nits. :) My home theater screen is 103" diagonal and IMHO size matters.
Ted pointed out the 55" display, which is for post production. We did get to see the 16' wide CLED the night before, which is an amazing screen. I will be replacing my projection screen (only 90") with an 88" OLED so I can get HDR.

·
Registered
239 Posts
SDR 709 Brightness or the Video Setup Brightness, which is HDR?

With your default brightness control, these two bars are visible? The text being visible is fine, but there should be no bars. Do you have an HDMI setting with an auto, high or low value? What is the output of your BD player set to? Look on the projector under Signal->Advanced->HDMI Video Range and see if that can be changed while looking at the brightness pattern.

There is a large range from -4 to +4. I don't think I have ever seen a display do what you describe.

Thanks for coming back to me Stacey.
Was sending Source Direct 10 bit 4:4:4 to the PJ for HDR.
Played around with the settings you suggested and was able to find one setting on the black bars which knocked out the below black bars leaving the other two just visible.
The montage looks great with black as black can be but the skyline at 4.40 has a sky that is gray.
The next shot with the wheel is fine, I can see into the stadium with what should be black is black.
Am I worrying too much about one shot!
Thanks for your time.

201 - 220 of 1181 Posts