AVS Forum banner

1241 - 1254 of 1254 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just bought a JVC X790R and Panasonic 820, a 1.0 gain AT screen and a Da-Lite HP 2.8 gain screen, and have a pretty good UHD/HDR library. I don't have any calibration equipment. Is it worthwhile to get this disc without any calibration equipment?

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,242
I just bought a JVC X790R and Panasonic 820, a 1.0 gain AT screen and a Da-Lite HP 2.8 gain screen, and have a pretty good UHD/HDR library. I don't have any calibration equipment. Is it worthwhile to get this disc without any calibration equipment?
I may be biased, But I think it’s worth it for the HDR Montage demo content alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
I may be biased, But I think it’s worth it for the HDR Montage demo content alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The best investment I made in my Epson 5050UB projector is the $40 I spent for the Spears and Munsil UHD Benchmark disc. It's as close as one can get to (but not a substitute for) a professional calibration. The Benchmark disc is an excellent tool.
Spend some time studying the articles from the above hyperlink. I check my projector's setting about every 150 hours with 4 or 5 basic patterns.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I concur, one of the best $40.00 investments I've made. Just make sure you go on-line and read the getting started quick guide.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: zacjones

·
Registered
188 Posts
The best investment I made in my Epson 5050UB projector is the $40 I spent for the Spears and Munsil UHD Benchmark disc. It's as close as one can get to (but not a substitute for) a professional calibration. The Benchmark disc is an excellent tool.
Spend some time studying the articles from the above hyperlink. I check my projector's setting about every 150 hours with 4 or 5 basic patterns.
I concur, one of the best $40.00 investments I've made. Just make sure you go on-line and read the getting started quick guide.
Peace and blessings,
Azeke
After reading up on the S&M website, it looks like there's plenty of value to be had in just the disc alone without calibration tools, so I just purchased one from biaslighting / The Medialight.
I'll take a shot at my own calibration with the just the disc, but will probably end up getting an i1DisplayProPlus too around Black Friday and try to get the JVC Autocal feature to work with it.

Looking forward to the HDR demos too!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just want to provide an update on our status.

We started encoding all of the HDR patterns on 8/29. We had to start over twice, the last time was two weeks ago. The first time was for an encoder improvement and the 2nd time was for an incorrect setting. We hope the HDR section finishes encoding around 11/1. Then we will render and encode the SDR content, which has 1/6th the amount of patterns.

One of the things we figured out back in July was how much better we can improve compression quality by not using placebo mode. It turns out, for test patterns, placebo actually degrades the quality. It took some brute force to identify the settings causing the loss. To be clear, this is a test pattern issue, not an encoder issue. An encoder is not trying to lossless encode, in lossy mode. So we are now encoding every test pattern 96 times to find the best settings per pattern. Its a PITA! But worth the results.

Right now I am working on the resolution menu. There are three types of patterns: Multiburst, Wedge and Zone Plate. There are 18 versions of each. There are 6 nit levels of each version. This means 324 patterns in total. Encoded 96 times each is 31,104 encodes I am running right now! Overkill not spoken here! This started on Monday and as of today, I am 1/3rd through them. I guesstimate it will take around 9-days to finish the test encodes. Then it will take a couple of hours for the actual encode for the disc.

I had actually run through all of this back in July, but I only did one nit level per pattern. This time I am doing each nit level as it turns out the encoder settings can be different for the best results. To be clear, these are only patterns that are different at each nit level. For patterns that are the same, and only metadata changes, we only encode once. We wrote a tool that changes the metadata after the fact so we don't have to encode the same pattern 6 times.

We are almost done writing the pop-up help. We should finish the first pass of all help text this week. Then I will do a once over and make notes. Then we will address the notes. Then I will share the help text with others to get additional feedback. Then we have to figure out if these can work as before using menus or if we need to put the help in an encoded video to make it work.

After resolution, we have Contrast Ratio, ADL, Backlight Resolution, Motion Evaluation, Motion Evaluation HFR and all the window patterns to encode. The motion patterns will probably take 3+ weeks to encode. The rest are less than a day each given that they are all static. I also need to en-encode all of the audio graphics. The slowest part is the pre-encode or brute force encodes to determine the best settings.

We are currently waiting on panning audio graphics, DTS:X, montage music (New music and Atmos mix) and Atmos A/V Sync. I believe that is it.
Wow, thanks so much for the update. You are being very thorough and I'm sure it will show in the final product. I was curious if you had any thoughts on including a test montage or pattern where say the HDR metadata is left blank. I know there were and may still be some discs being authored where the data is being left out. Just thought it be nice to have something where we could see what effect that omission has on the image for consumers to compare and be aware of any impact this has on our display.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Wow, thanks so much for the update. You are being very thorough and I'm sure it will show in the final product. I was curious if you had any thoughts on including a test montage or pattern where say the HDR metadata is left blank. I know there were and may still be some discs being authored where the data is being left out. Just thought it be nice to have something where we could see what effect that omission has on the image for consumers to compare and be aware of any impact this has on our display.
Thank you for the suggestion!

Sony had asked us to do something similar by setting MaxCLL and MaxFALL to 0. We can't do it for every pattern as that would be another set of every pattern. (We know have 8 of every pattern) . We may take a look at a few patterns, such as tone mapping ramps where that might make sense to see what it does. We certainly see the value of it. We will see if there are others that make sense.

One current way to achieve that is using something like an HDFury type of device that can be inserted between a player and display and make any custom metadata.

Tyler and I had measured a few displays years ago with different metadata values, including zero. Here is a spreadsheet. I think this is the JS9500.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
@sspears Do you think a image or pattern can be created to show the differences between improper and proper gamut mapping?
The HSV Sweeps will show a difference. There is no standard on what is correct, so everyone has their own "secret sauce" when it comes to gamut and tone mapping. Our Hue Shift pattern shows differences as well.

Over the coming years, I suspect we will see new and innovative patterns to further evaluate and improve both tone and gamut mapping.

In the end, you need to look at a lot of content. You might do something that makes a certain clip look really good and then break another clip. It is a balancing act.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
What is your opinion about the SDR REC.709 grade of Montage?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
The current SDR version is not a grade, its a trim pass. The new disc has a an actual SDR grade.
So the SDR version of the HDR Montage is just the trim pass as Dolby CMU automatically graded without someone to control or adapt it to look like a 'reference' for REC.709?

It doesn't look like a reference to me. It's over-saturated.

Do you agree, or you need an example?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
The HSV Sweeps will show a difference. There is no standard on what is correct, so everyone has their own "secret sauce" when it comes to gamut and tone mapping. Our Hue Shift pattern shows differences as well.

Over the coming years, I suspect we will see new and innovative patterns to further evaluate and improve both tone and gamut mapping.

In the end, you need to look at a lot of content. You might do something that makes a certain clip look really good and then break another clip. It is a balancing act.
Dolby Vision content has been pretty consistent and to an extent HDR10 has as well. The difference is night and day, atleast to me it is.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
The Spears and Munsil UHD disc has Dolby Vision content that goes all the way to the edge of 2020. This content was color graded by Dolby head colorist Shane R.
I see your name listed when the SDR Montage Video is starting.

Does that mean that you are responsible for calibration of the monitors you used to evaluate the SDR REC.709 10-bit Montage video?

If you are responsible for these display calibrations, have you evaluate the SDR REC.709 Montage to confirm that it can be used as SDR 'reference' material to evaluate a calibrated display performace?

1241 - 1254 of 1254 Posts