AVS Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1291 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The checkerboard is intended for DLPs. You should see dither in the brighter checker and pure black in the other. With gamma set to BT.1886 / 2.4, you would have to be nose to the screen to really see it. In 8-bit, the checker is 16 and 17. In 10-bit, it is 64 and 68. With a higher gamma, the checker is easier to see, which is incorrect. I think your C8 has 1.9, 2.2 and 2.4 options. Cycle through them and you should see the difference.
Hi, just to clarify, are you saying that if I don't have a DLP to ignore the checkerboard?

I have a Sony A9G and the default black level (50) is correct when I check plugs pattern with R.Mascior and Disney WoW. Looks correct also with the pluge on this disc (both SDR and HDR).

However, when I stand up close to the TV, I can see some slight noise/movement in the boxes that was supposed to be black (albeit much less noticeable as the other squares). When reducing to 49, it looks correct as there's checkerboard with perfect black and the dithered squares. Although now it looks like I'm potentially crushing 1% with other patterns.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

Is there any way to purchase the benchmark disk in a format that I can load onto a USB flash drive and playback via my display's (LG CX OLED) built-in media player? I am in need of HDR10 and Dolby Vision test patterns but I do not have a 4K BluRay player.

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Out of the box, the brightness control on the C9 is correct in Cinema mode for a properly light controlled room.
Hey Stacey, I'm sure this is true but I've been seeing some weird things with my C9 from HDR blu-rays. I've noticed that in-frame elements that are true black in the SDR and Dolby Vision versions of a movie are not black in the HDR10 version with Brightness = 50. Letterbox bars are black, and black level clipping test patterns on YouTube look correct, but the content itself looks bad. Fade-in transitions from "black" are marred by posterization, for example. Lowering brightness to 49 tends to fix most issues, but I'm sure it's clipping shadow detail. Do you know why this is?

·
Premium Member
9,317 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,317 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,317 Posts
Trying to download those files from the Google Drive is extremely frustrating. I'd start the process and when I went page to the page and it had the GUI to save the zip file, it seemed to have timed out and nothing was downloaded. I then finally hung around until the GUI showed up and started the download, which immediately stopped at 2.4 MB of data. The Google drive download is not working for me.

So, where is this separate thread?.

UPDATE: After posting, I told the browser to restart the download and it now appears to be working.

UPDATE #2: Well, that was futile. The zip file only had 4 of the folders and none of the PDF files.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is a Dolby Vision 2.9 version of our dynamic range low pattern. This is profile 7 in an mp4, which is probably not really a supported scenario. However, it works for my testing and development. I know it works from a USB stick directly into an LG as well as through an OPPO. Playing through the Panasonic UB9000 just results in the HDR10 base layer playing. I mention profile 7 and support only because the montage will hang in certain spots on the OPPO but plays on the LG directly.

This may not play on the LG CX or at least a report from someone with a CX and C9 says it does not work on their CX but does work on their C9. It works on my C9 and Tyler's C7.

The reason I am sharing this is that there seems to be some belief that after a Calman calibration everything below 3% is clipped or crushed and that is not true at all. This goes up to code value 100. Code value 99 is 4%. Code value 82 is be 2%. The pattern goes from code value 4 through 100. If I turn brightness up on the LG C9, I can see it goes to 64, which is 0%.

Hopefully everyone finds this useful.
I was getting really annoyed by the fact that this pattern is only 1 minute long and that the (extremely bright) LG video player UI pops up at the end of every file it plays, even if you set the player to loop, which together made it very difficult to let my eyes adjust to darkness enough to distinguish some of the lower code levels in the pattern on my LG 77CX (I would basically have to look away and close my eyes every minute to avoid getting blinded by the UI).

I found a way to loop the pattern within the MP4 to extend it to 1 hour without having to touch the video stream with a re-encode. I figured I would share in case anyone else finds it helpful. Some familiarity with the command line is required.
  1. Download and install ffmpeg.
  2. In the directory with the original file from @sspears, run the following command:
    Code:
    .\ffmpeg -stream_loop 60 -i spears_and_munsil_drlow_dolby_vision.mp4 -c copy spears_and_munsil_drlow_dolby_vision_1hr.mp4
From what I understand this should repeat the video stream while keeping it bit-perfect (it is not re-encoded). If for some reason you want it to be longer than an hour, you can change the -stream_loop parameter to whatever you desire (e.g. 600 for 10 hours), but be aware that this does increase the file size proportionally, since the stream is not re-encoded.

EDIT: Disregard the above, although this does increase the video length it makes the player fallback to the HDR10 layer on my CX. @sspears any chance you can release a longer version of this pattern?

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
EDIT: Disregard the above, although this does increase the video length it makes the player fallback to the HDR10 layer on my CX. @sspears any chance you can release a longer version of this pattern?
If you do such edits @sspears, please please please include an audio track of silence (can be low-bitrate mono)! Anything at all, just to avoid the TV's massively annoying bright "this video does not support audio" popup, which completely trashes the first 10 seconds of the video. "Yes, LG, I know there's no audio".

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you do such edits @sspears, please please please include an audio track of silence (can be low-bitrate mono)! Anything at all, just to avoid the TV's massively annoying bright "this video does not support audio" popup, which completely trashes the first 10 seconds of the video. "Yes, LG, I know there's no audio".
+1, I forgot about this.

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB, Denon Receiver, Monoprice Multiformat 106 inches, Pioneer speakers, Bic subwoofer
68 Posts
The 4k SM disc recommends leaving contrast at 50 or default for most displays since that controls the HDR mapping that the display handles.
How about if I'm running MadVR HDR to SDR and letting the program handle the tone mapping instead of the projector?
Looks like I'm able to crank up the contrast considerably without clipping whites on patterns, giving me much needed brightness for my Epson 5050ub.
Is that somehow degrading my image?
Looks good by the way, but don't want to be altering it in a negative way.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Hi there,

Got a question that may seem silly but not when you're a beginner like me.
If I have already calibrated my tv (C9) with the Calman home for LG software, is there an interest in acquiring the spears and munsil uhd hdr benchmak calibration disc ?

Thank you in advance for your answers
If you want to see what is wrong with your display. :) The latest Calman uses our Dynamic Range Low pattern to set shadow detail for calibration. Current disc works with HDR10 and SDR, next will also support Dolby Vision.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Hi guys, I was redirected here after posting in the Calibration thread, perhaps someone here can help...

I'm using the S&M UHD disc to tweak my LG OLED CX TV, with the disc being played on a Oppo 203.
I'm showing the same amount of Chroma Upsampling Error regardless of the Color Space I select on the Oppo.
I have upscaling being done on the TV end.

Is there a way for me to make any adjustments for this and if so, which settings should I look at? Or is it what I should expect with this setup? (a response on the Calibration thread mentioned a possible issue with the Oppo chipset)

Everything looks great to the eye (I've had my TV's professionally calibrated since my plasma days) but obviously it's good to have things as close as possible to spec and I'd like to dial this in if I can.

Will also be interesting to see how my PS5 will handle this when it arrives.
The OPPO does not have the chroma bug. It is just using a simple bilinear upsample. We have a new pattern to evaluate the quality of chroma upsampling, really shows off what MadVR can do with its AI based upsampling.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Guys, what is Dolby Vision 4.0 in two words (I saw dev doc from Dolby devs) and is it supported by LG C9? LG CX HDR (at least Dolby Vision, but I saw HDR10 reports too) black level is broken because of it, at least according to LG, they are trying to do Dolby Vision 4.0. Is it at least somehow connected to Dolby IQ? I still hope we han fix that genious 203 nits SDR in HDR value (even though many films are already done like it from Alita to Bladerunner) using TrueTone for HDR, lol.

To Ted: Dolby Vision does not use ICtCp, it uses IPT-PQ (with reshaper) that is slighty different from ICtCp, ICtCp should be even better than IPT-PQ without reshaper. We did hack its matrixes but reshaper is still not done, i.e. not fully.
Dolby Vision on Blu-ray is version 2.9. Netflix now supports 4.0. 2.9 tone mapping is from 2014, 4.0 is from 2018 and much improved. The content has to be created in 4.0 to take advantage of 4.0. Blu-ray will always be 2.9.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
@sspears - What is the most current version for UHD and is there a newer version in the works soon?

Thanks!
The current version (only version) is the version on the market today called the UHD HDR Benchmark. Next version will be out when it is done. I will post an update once I finish answer all the questions I did not know where posted. :)

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Hi, just to clarify, are you saying that if I don't have a DLP to ignore the checkerboard?

I have a Sony A9G and the default black level (50) is correct when I check plugs pattern with R.Mascior and Disney WoW. Looks correct also with the pluge on this disc (both SDR and HDR).

However, when I stand up close to the TV, I can see some slight noise/movement in the boxes that was supposed to be black (albeit much less noticeable as the other squares). When reducing to 49, it looks correct as there's checkerboard with perfect black and the dithered squares. Although now it looks like I'm potentially crushing 1% with other patterns.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Yes.

1261 - 1280 of 1291 Posts