AVS Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1378 Posts

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
1,030 Posts
Just to clarify. 4.0 has 2.9 metadata in it as well for backwards compatibly. You can put 2.9/4.0 in Profiles 5, 7 or 8.
Does this mean that older devices should still be able to play the DV content from an iPhone 12 series phone in Dolby Vision, despite not being profile 4.0?

Also since you are clearly very knowledgeable about this stuff I will ask: What is "2.9" and "4.0" as compared to Profiles 5, 7, 8, etc? I have seem them ALL called "profiles" which gets confusing. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Stacey,

any chance ur new disk (or maybe Disc 1) has a pattern to evaluate whether DV STD FEL contains 12bit 420 or 12bit 422 image data ? (actual image data, not 420 padded/upsampled to 422)

The (many) DV white papers are a bit unclear, I spoke to one of my contacts at Dolby recently, they said it is 12bit 420, but there's this ongoing discussion about this as some folks stated years ago they talked directly to DV engineers in the very early stages of DV and they said it would re-create the 12bit master in 422 (for STD FEL).

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Stacey,

any chance ur new disk (or maybe Disc 1) has a pattern to evaluate whether DV STD FEL contains 12bit 420 or 12bit 422 image data ? (actual image data, not 420 padded/upsampled to 422)

The (many) DV white papers are a bit unclear, I spoke to one of my contacts at Dolby recently, they said it is 12bit 420, but there's this ongoing discussion about this as some folks stated years ago they talked directly to DV engineers in the very early stages of DV and they said it would re-create the 12bit master in 422 (for STD FEL).
No pattern for that, sorry.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
Does this mean that older devices should still be able to play the DV content from an iPhone 12 series phone in Dolby Vision, despite not being profile 4.0?

Also since you are clearly very knowledgeable about this stuff I will ask: What is "2.9" and "4.0" as compared to Profiles 5, 7, 8, etc? I have seem them ALL called "profiles" which gets confusing. Thank you!
I'm sure @sspears will answer in due course but for now, my stab at the answer is it's the version number of Dolby Vision's metadata/tonemapping system as a whole - the tools that the content creators use.

You're right, they are not profiles at all, like profile 5, 7 etc.

Also note the "4.0 has 2.9 metadata in it as well for backwards compatibility" part.

You need a 2019 or later TV to have a chance of taking advantage of v4.0 metadata AFAIK. I believe this is a commercial, and not technical, decision. I think this is wrong, unfair, and cheats customers. LG have handed over full control of the whole chipset to Dolby in this ecosystem, so in return, Dolby should definitely roll out upgrades for all of us to v4 on our TVs. I hope to be wrong about this and they will do the right thing and upgrade us. But in context, we've just had a year where Dolby have taken a full 9 months to fix the raised blacks bugs on the LG CXs, and it's only just been done, all the while leaving LG to take the blame for it with many angry customers.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I'm sure @sspears will answer in due course but for now, my stab at the answer is it's the version number of Dolby Vision's metadata/tonemapping system as a whole - the tools that the content creators use.

You're right, they are not profiles at all, like profile 5, 7 etc.

Also note the "4.0 has 2.9 metadata in it as well for backwards compatibility" part.

You need a 2019 or later TV to have a chance of taking advantage of v4.0 metadata AFAIK. I believe this is a commercial, and not technical, decision. I think this is wrong, unfair, and cheats customers. LG have handed over full control of the whole chipset to Dolby in this ecosystem, so in return, Dolby should definitely roll out upgrades for all of us to v4 on our TVs. I hope to be wrong about this and they will do the right thing and upgrade us. But in context, we've just had a year where Dolby have taken a full 9 months to fix the raised blacks bugs on the LG CXs, and it's only just been done, all the while leaving LG to take the blame for it with many angry customers.
One of the requests studios had was that if content is created in version 2.9, for example, that it is always plays back using the 2.9 algorithms. This is to ensure the look does not change if played using a newer version of Dolby Vision. Blu-ray is 2.9 and probably always will be. Netflix has 4.0 content. I am sure others do as well. There is also a 3.1, but that is on the TV side. Content is created in either 2.9 or 4.0 today.

4.0 has a new and improved tone mapping algorithm. It also has additional trim pass controls for better results. You can even create a custom nit level in addition to the pre-defined trim pass nit levels. The pre-defined are 100 SDR, 600, 1000 and 2000. (Which is why our nit levels options are 600, 1000, 2000, 4000 and 10,000. New disc also has 350) 2.9 is what launched in the original VIZIO back in 2015. So the algorithms pre-date that. 4.0 launched with the C9. Actually more like a FW update post C9.

When people try and compare other tone mapping algorithms, such as MadVR and Lumagen, which have up to date algorithms, they are comparing them to 6-7 year old algorithms from Dolby.

The profiles can contain either 2.9 or 4.0 as that data is in the elementary stream. Blu-ray is Profile 7. The OPPO can play Profile 7 from USB, but it treats profile 8 as HDR10. I think the OPPO may support Profile 5 via USB. Panasonic does not seem to like Profile 7 or 8 and plays both as HDR10 from USB. Have not tested Profile 5. Not sure about the other players.

LG, and others, receive a binary drop for Dolby and they simply incorporate it into their FW package. The HW changes every couple of years, so I am not sure a C8 could ever support 4.0. It may not have the horse power. It would need the EDID to be updated for external sources to send 4.0. I think it was the 6 series where one model used the GPU and the lower end models used an ASIC for Dolby Vision, so that would be a PITA to update.

I was ecstatic to see PC/4:4:4 mode work correctly on the CX. To me, that alone is worth the upgrade from a previous gen model. The UI seems a lot more sluggish though. I would get a G1 over a CX. I think the bump in nits is worth it. I hope they bring that to the Z series in the future.

Those are my thoughts.

We do have a pattern hidden that we call Dolby Vision Quality Check. if Dolby Vision is not firing on all cylinders, you will see a solid red X. If it is working correctly, then you will just see an outline of the X. I tested it yesterday when I received the first build of disc 1. :) And now that we include HD and HFR versions of some patterns, we have already found new bugs!

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
1,030 Posts
One of the requests studios had was that if content is created in version 2.9, for example, that it is always plays back using the 2.9 algorithms. This is to ensure the look does not change if played using a newer version of Dolby Vision. Blu-ray is 2.9 and probably always will be. Netflix has 4.0 content. I am sure others do as well. There is also a 3.1, but that is on the TV side. Content is created in either 2.9 or 4.0 today.

4.0 has a new and improved tone mapping algorithm. It also has additional trim pass controls for better results. You can even create a custom nit level in addition to the pre-defined trim pass nit levels. The pre-defined are 100 SDR, 600, 1000 and 2000. (Which is why our nit levels options are 600, 1000, 2000, 4000 and 10,000. New disc also has 350) 2.9 is what launched in the original VIZIO back in 2015. So the algorithms pre-date that. 4.0 launched with the C9. Actually more like a FW update post C9.

When people try and compare other tone mapping algorithms, such as MadVR and Lumagen, which have up to date algorithms, they are comparing them to 6-7 year old algorithms from Dolby.

The profiles can contain either 2.9 or 4.0 as that data is in the elementary stream. Blu-ray is Profile 7. The OPPO can play Profile 7 from USB, but it treats profile 8 as HDR10. I think the OPPO may support Profile 5 via USB. Panasonic does not seem to like Profile 7 or 8 and plays both as HDR10 from USB. Have not tested Profile 5. Not sure about the other players.

LG, and others, receive a binary drop for Dolby and they simply incorporate it into their FW package. The HW changes every couple of years, so I am not sure a C8 could ever support 4.0. It may not have the horse power. It would need the EDID to be updated for external sources to send 4.0. I think it was the 6 series where one model used the GPU and the lower end models used an ASIC for Dolby Vision, so that would be a PITA to update.

I was ecstatic to see PC/4:4:4 mode work correctly on the CX. To me, that alone is worth the upgrade from a previous gen model. The UI seems a lot more sluggish though. I would get a G1 over a CX. I think the bump in nits is worth it. I hope they bring that to the Z series in the future.

Those are my thoughts.

We do have a pattern hidden that we call Dolby Vision Quality Check. if Dolby Vision is not firing on all cylinders, you will see a solid red X. If it is working correctly, then you will just see an outline of the X. I tested it yesterday when I received the first build of disc 1. :) And now that we include HD and HFR versions of some patterns, we have already found new bugs!
Hi Stacey

Thank you for all that, that was very informative if not a bit over my head.

I wanted to ask what is the significance of the PC mode 4:4:4 on the CX? Can the C8 do that too? I've always avoided using the PC mode on my C8, I didn't think it was good for movie viewing. Ia the G1 this years model? (I can't keep up!)

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Hi Stacey

Thank you for all that, that was very informative if not a bit over my head.

I wanted to ask what is the significance of the PC mode 4:4:4 on the CX? Can the C8 do that too? I've always avoided using the PC mode on my C8, I didn't think it was good for movie viewing. Ia the G1 this years model? (I can't keep up!)
PC mode means the chroma is at full 4:4:4 through the entire pipeline. When in this mode, several picture controls are disabled because they only work in 4:2:2. In regular mode, everything is converted to 4:2:2 on input. Panasonic and Sony have similar modes for their OLEDs.

If you look at the chroma zone plate patterns on the current disc, you can see the center 3rd is bright and the left and right 3rds are dimmer. This is due to chroma roll-off. (loss of chroma resolution) In PC mode, its equally bright all the way across. Some TVs are worse than others. My Z9D is very dark on the left and right 3rds. What is odd is that the source is 4:2:0, so that you still get dimmer image in 4:2:2 mode has always baffled me since it should still be above 4:2:0, but it is not. It is possible they convert between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 more than once. And the quality of the down is more lossy.

To change into PC mode, you go to the input menu and you change the input icon. Not the text label, but the icon itself.

On the C7, C8 and C9, the bit depth drops to 8-bit, so you see lots of banding in HDR. The C6 and CX both stay in 10-bit. You can see massive banding in the smoke and then our quant rotate pattern shows the same banding on the top and bottom. This all goes away on the CX and hopefully G1.

G1/C1 is 2021 models that were just introduced. The G1 has the brighter OLED panel. The C1 does not get the bump in peak luminance. CNET has some info on the various versions.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
PC mode means the chroma is at full 4:4:4 through the entire pipeline. When in this mode, several picture controls are disabled because they only work in 4:2:2. In regular mode, everything is converted to 4:2:2 on input. Panasonic and Sony have similar modes for their OLEDs.

If you look at the chroma zone plate patterns on the current disc, you can see the center 3rd is bright and the left and right 3rds are dimmer. This is due to chroma roll-off. (loss of chroma resolution) In PC mode, its equally bright all the way across. Some TVs are worse than others. My Z9D is very dark on the left and right 3rds. What is odd is that the source is 4:2:0, so that you still get dimmer image in 4:2:2 mode has always baffled me since it should still be above 4:2:0, but it is not. It is possible they convert between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 more than once. And the quality of the down is more lossy.

To change into PC mode, you go to the input menu and you change the input icon. Not the text label, but the icon itself.

On the C7, C8 and C9, the bit depth drops to 8-bit, so you see lots of banding in HDR. The C6 and CX both stay in 10-bit. You can see massive banding in the smoke and then our quant rotate pattern shows the same banding on the top and bottom. This all goes away on the CX and hopefully G1.

G1/C1 is 2021 models that were just introduced. The G1 has the brighter OLED panel. The C1 does not get the bump in peak luminance. CNET has some info on the various versions.
I'm glad to see you are active again, and have a couple follow-up questions on the chroma test patterns. Looking at the disc for chroma test patterns, I was never able to really understand what I'm looking at and the instructions about "diamonds" aren't clear (to me).

I have a Sony A9G OLED and UB9000. I've tried outputting the player as 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 (using my calibrated Custom for Pro 1 picture mode) and I just can't tell any difference unless I'm not looking at the right areas.

So are you saying I'm better off leaving the player 4:2:2?

p.s.- I'm a former Z9D owner as well :p

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I'm glad to see you are active again, and have a couple follow-up questions on the chroma test patterns. Looking at the disc for chroma test patterns, I was never able to really understand what I'm looking at and the instructions about "diamonds" aren't clear (to me).

I have a Sony A9G OLED and UB9000. I've tried outputting the player as 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 (using my calibrated Custom for Pro 1 picture mode) and I just can't tell any difference unless I'm not looking at the right areas.

So are you saying I'm better off leaving the player 4:2:2?

p.s.- I'm a former Z9D owner as well :p
I try and respond when I receive an email letting me know there is a new message. I don't always seem to get notified and then miss a bunch. if you PM me, I don't get notified at all until I am on the forum.

If you don't see any difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 (player setting) then stick with 4:2:2. Dolby Vision is always output as 12-bit 4:2:2 anyway. (or 12-bit 4:2:2 pretending to be 8-bit RGB when in TV-led) In theory, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 should be identical. At the end of the day, everything converts to RGB in the end and there should be no difference.

We have added an HD version and an HFR (59.94) version to the next disc. Some players only output 59.94 as either 8-bit or 4:2:0 and now you can see if there are visual changes when going from 24 to 60p.

The player output is different than the PC/4:4:4 mode in the OLED mentioned above. Is there a graphics picture mode on the Sony OLED? That might be the one that forces 4:4:4 on Sony. I like to use either the chroma crossed zone plate OR the RGB legal Cb zone plate. I usually set to 10,000 nits as well since that is the brightest version of the pattern. Those two I find the easiest to see the dimmer sides.

The center has thicker lines, which means lower chroma resolution. As you move to the outside (far left and right) the lines get thinner. This is higher chroma resolution. Ideally you want equal brightness from thick to thin lines, which means no loss in chroma resolution.

The chroma diamonds are to look for chroma alignment (YC delay issues). Have you looked at the samples in the Choosing a Color Space article? There are horizontal and vertical diamonds. The horizontal diamonds are looking at 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 conversion. The vertical diamonds look at 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 conversion.

BT.601 (SD) and BT.709 (HD) have a different chroma layout than BT.2020. Here is an image to visually show you. The white circles are Luma and the red squares are chroma:

In the horizontal direction, chroma is co-sited with luma for 601, 709 and 2020. In the vertical direction, chroma is interstitial (in between) the luma samples for 601/709 and is co-sited for 2020. When you upsample, you have to account for this location or phase. If you don't handle the proper chroma sample location when you upsample, you end up with luma and chroma not being aligned correctly. This can cause one edge to be soft and fuzzy nd the other edge darker. The chroma diamonds and the red on yellow help to see this.

I like to use the Chroma Alignment (Num) pattern to find out the exact amount of delay. This pattern lets you look at both in 0.5 pixel increments. At UHD resolution, you really need a loupe to see the pixels. At UHD2 (7680x4320) you MUST have one. Simply find the diamond that is the most symmetrical and that is the amount of delay/error you have.

As it turns out, you need to check this for SD, HD and UHD in SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision. While testing the new disc, I noticed that Dolby Vision HD is off vertically but Dolby Vision UHD is fine.

How do you fix this? A new player, display or both! It is bad processing and not something you can calibrate out.

I hope this answers your question. If not, please let me know.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts

Those are my thoughts.

Does the quality check provide specifics, (ex. tone mapping, PQ tracking?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I try and respond when I receive an email letting me know there is a new message. I don't always seem to get notified and then miss a bunch. if you PM me, I don't get notified at all until I am on the forum.

If you don't see any difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 (player setting) then stick with 4:2:2. Dolby Vision is always output as 12-bit 4:2:2 anyway. (or 12-bit 4:2:2 pretending to be 8-bit RGB when in TV-led) In theory, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 should be identical. At the end of the day, everything converts to RGB in the end and there should be no difference.

We have added an HD version and an HFR (59.94) version to the next disc. Some players only output 59.94 as either 8-bit or 4:2:0 and now you can see if there are visual changes when going from 24 to 60p.

The player output is different than the PC/4:4:4 mode in the OLED mentioned above. Is there a graphics picture mode on the Sony OLED? That might be the one that forces 4:4:4 on Sony. I like to use either the chroma crossed zone plate OR the RGB legal Cb zone plate. I usually set to 10,000 nits as well since that is the brightest version of the pattern. Those two I find the easiest to see the dimmer sides.

The center has thicker lines, which means lower chroma resolution. As you move to the outside (far left and right) the lines get thinner. This is higher chroma resolution. Ideally you want equal brightness from thick to thin lines, which means no loss in chroma resolution.

The chroma diamonds are to look for chroma alignment (YC delay issues). Have you looked at the samples in the Choosing a Color Space article? There are horizontal and vertical diamonds. The horizontal diamonds are looking at 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 conversion. The vertical diamonds look at 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 conversion.

BT.601 (SD) and BT.709 (HD) have a different chroma layout than BT.2020. Here is an image to visually show you. The white circles are Luma and the red squares are chroma:
View attachment 3081871

In the horizontal direction, chroma is co-sited with luma for 601, 709 and 2020. In the vertical direction, chroma is interstitial (in between) the luma samples for 601/709 and is co-sited for 2020. When you upsample, you have to account for this location or phase. If you don't handle the proper chroma sample location when you upsample, you end up with luma and chroma not being aligned correctly. This can cause one edge to be soft and fuzzy nd the other edge darker. The chroma diamonds and the red on yellow help to see this.

I like to use the Chroma Alignment (Num) pattern to find out the exact amount of delay. This pattern lets you look at both in 0.5 pixel increments. At UHD resolution, you really need a loupe to see the pixels. At UHD2 (7680x4320) you MUST have one. Simply find the diamond that is the most symmetrical and that is the amount of delay/error you have.

As it turns out, you need to check this for SD, HD and UHD in SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision. While testing the new disc, I noticed that Dolby Vision HD is off vertically but Dolby Vision UHD is fine.

How do you fix this? A new player, display or both! It is bad processing and not something you can calibrate out.

I hope this answers your question. If not, please let me know.
Thank you for the very detailed response. I will digest this info and revisit the disc with a better understanding. My A9G does have a PC and Graphics mode, which supposedly accept full 4:4:4 chroma. However, the Panasonic on "Auto" and my Custom for Pro picture mode still sends it as 4:4:4...hence my initial confusion. It does seem like 4:2:2 is a safe bet until I investigate further.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Thank you for the very detailed response. I will digest this info and revisit the disc with a better understanding. My A9G does have a PC and Graphics mode, which supposedly accept full 4:4:4 chroma. However, the Panasonic on "Auto" and my Custom for Pro picture mode still sends it as 4:4:4...hence my initial confusion. It does seem like 4:2:2 is a safe bet until I investigate further.
Typically auto is not about the best quality, it s about compatibility. It is the mode that results in the fewest support calls, which saves money. :)

If your display does have a 4:4:4 mode, then you might see a difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 out of the player. Panasonic uses a bicubic upsample algorithm most players and displays use bilinear. Of course there is some chroma ringing on the Panasonic from its upsampling.

You will also want to check the quantization rotate pattern to make sure the bottom row (10-bit) does not show more banding in the PC / graphics mode.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It supports 2.9. 4.0 is only in C9 and above.

DV recorded on an iPhone 12 will play as HLG on a C8. It will play as Dolby Vision on a C9 and above. It uses Profile 8.3.
or 8.0A, but maybe it is a bug in Mediainfo. i was so happy to found out it works (8.0A that is) on my LG C9!

Code:
eneral
Complete name               : D:\iPhone 12 Pro 杜比视界样片.mov
Format                      : MPEG-4
Format profile              : QuickTime
Codec ID                    : qt   0000.00 (qt  )
File size                   : 238 MiB
Duration                    : 47 s 147 ms
Overall bit rate mode       : Variable
Overall bit rate            : 42.3 Mb/s
Encoded date                : UTC 2020-10-17 12:55:31
Tagged date                 : UTC 2020-10-17 12:56:19
Writing library             : Apple QuickTime
com.apple.quicktime.locatio : 228.095906
com.apple.quicktime.locatio : +23.1371+113.3256+025.978/
com.apple.quicktime.make    : Apple
com.apple.quicktime.model   : iPhone 12 Pro
com.apple.quicktime.softwar : 14.1
com.apple.quicktime.creatio : 2020-10-17T20:55:31+0800

Video
ID                          : 1
Format                      : HEVC
Format/Info                 : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile              : Main [email protected]@High
HDR format                  : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.0A, BL+RPU, HLG compatible
Codec ID                    : hvc1
Codec ID/Info               : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration                    : 47 s 145 ms
Bit rate                    : 42.0 Mb/s
Width                       : 3 840 pixels
Height                      : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Frame rate mode             : Variable
Frame rate                  : 45.008 FPS
Minimum frame rate          : 28.571 FPS
Maximum frame rate          : 60.000 FPS
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
Bit depth                   : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.113
Stream size                 : 236 MiB (99%)
Title                       : Core Media Video
Color range                 : Limited
Color primaries             : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics    : HLG
Matrix coefficients         : BT.2020 non-constant
Codec configuration box     : hvcC+dvvC

Audio
ID                          : 2
Format                      : AAC LC
Format/Info                 : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                    : mp4a-40-2
Duration                    : 47 s 145 ms
Source duration             : 47 s 206 ms
Bit rate mode               : Variable
Bit rate                    : 181 kb/s
Channel(s)                  : 2 channels
Channel layout              : L R
Sampling rate               : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                  : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode            : Lossy
Stream size                 : 1.02 MiB (0%)
Source stream size          : 1.02 MiB (0%)
Title                       : Core Media Audio

Other #1
Type                        : meta
Bit rate mode               : Constant

Other #2
Bit rate mode               : Constant

Other #3
Bit rate mode               : Variable

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for the information. I had heard more or less than before. But in my case, mine wont even play as HLG on my C8 if I AirPlay directly to it. Same goes for my Apple TV 4K, which I do have set to match range "ON."

Is there a "Settings" Page on the iPhone for AirPlay? I am doubting it but figured why not ask.
Are you sure LG C8 even supported HLG back then? Try to open this video,
it is one of the videos that have actual HLG on Youtube and IS FORCED ON. You can look it up in LG C8's Youtube's app sysadmin info.

·
Registered
323 Posts
@sspears What can you tell me about the following?

• Added support for the validation of Dolby Vision profile 32.2 and 32.3 bitstreams,
  • Added a new test case “L32 metadata – intrinsic” (ID 27) to cover checks for new metadata Level 32,
  • Added support for Dolby Vision metadata file format XML 5.1.0.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Are you sure LG C8 even supported HLG back then? Try to open this video,
it is one of the videos that have actual HLG on Youtube and IS FORCED ON. You can look it up in LG C8's Youtube's app sysadmin info.
Just in case anyone else was wondering, this video does play back on HLG on my C8

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
@sspears What can you tell me about the following?

• Added support for the validation of Dolby Vision profile 32.2 and 32.3 bitstreams,
  • Added a new test case “L32 metadata – intrinsic” (ID 27) to cover checks for new metadata Level 32,
  • Added support for Dolby Vision metadata file format XML 5.1.0.
I have no context for what you are asking.

1301 - 1320 of 1378 Posts