AVS Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 1415 Posts

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Any idea of a release date Stacy?
I feel bad giving estimates that we keep missing. Right now our target is July.

This weekend I need to render and encode the background menu videos. You need a video in each format so there is no re-sync when going from menu to pattern, though it may still re-sync in Dolby since it is a title change. Within the title, it stays synced though. Hopefully the menus will be finalized this weekend as well for disc 1 and can then be incorporated next week.

I am still rendering the SDR assets (disc 2) while David authors disc 1. My goal is to finish disc 2 encoding by end of March. Disc 3 is currently encoding, which is the montage disc. Lots of versions. We also need to finish up the printed guide that will be included, similar to the 2nd edition.

The goal is to finish all testing of the three discs by early June and then off to replication. Disc 1 is much more complex than the current disc, so it will need the most testing. Disc 2 is less complex. Disc 3 is the easiest since it is just a single menu of montage videos. The Atmos tones are also on disc 2 since we went over on disc 1 and have had to cut some stuff. We will probably use 2 x BD100 and 1 x BD66 for the set.

As previously mentioned, current disc has ~1400 patterns while disc 1 of the new set has ~4500. Each and every pattern has to be tested from the menu to the pattern and from pattern to pattern. The initial run will be smaller in case we find a major error and have to fix and re-replicate. We did this last time as well and luckily did not change anything, though the HDR10+ does not signal on a Panasonic player due to a bug in the software we had used. This time around, HDR10+ provided the tool and display for testing.

And then once that is done, we hope to release weekly videos that cover various aspects of the disc, interviewers with people, etc... This will probably start in late August.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I feel bad giving estimates that we keep missing. Right now our target is July.

This weekend I need to render and encode the background menu videos. You need a video in each format so there is no re-sync when going from menu to pattern, though it may still re-sync in Dolby since it is a title change. Within the title, it stays synced though. Hopefully the menus will be finalized this weekend as well for disc 1 and can then be incorporated next week.

I am still rendering the SDR assets (disc 2) while David authors disc 1. My goal is to finish disc 2 encoding by end of March. Disc 3 is currently encoding, which is the montage disc. Lots of versions. We also need to finish up the printed guide that will be included, similar to the 2nd edition.

The goal is to finish all testing of the three discs by early June and then off to replication. 1 is much more complex than the current disc, so it will need the most testing. Disc 2 is less complex. Disc 3 is the easiest since it is just a single menu of montage videos. The Atmos tones are also on disc 2 since we went over on disc 1 and have had to cut some stuff. We will probably use 2 x BD100 and 1 x BD66 for the set.

As previously mentioned, current disc has ~1400 patterns while disc 1 of the new set has ~4500. Each and every pattern has to be tested from the menu to the pattern and from pattern to pattern. The initial run will be smaller in case we find a major error and have to fix and re-replicate. We did this last time as well and luckily did not change anything, though the HDR10+ does not signal on a Panasonic player due to a bug in the software we had used. This time around, HDR10+ provided the tool and display for testing.

And then once that is done, we hope to release weekly videos that cover various aspects of the disc, interviewers with people, etc... This will probably start in late August.
Thanks for the update. Will this be an entirely separate disc issue or are you still planning to offer this at an upgrade price for those of us that bought the original UHD disc?

Reactions: SteveC356

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Thanks for the update. Will this be an entirely separate disc issue or are you still planning to offer this at an upgrade price for those of us that bought the original UHD disc?
This will replace the current UHD disc when it comes out.

Original owners of the UHD disc will be able to get it for an upgrade price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, is there a way to learn the motion resolution of the TV using this uhd bluray? In the menu I saw something about motion resolution but I can't understand how it works. Does it need any special equipment for this?

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Hi, is there a way to learn the motion resolution of the TV using this uhd bluray? In the menu I saw something about motion resolution but I can't understand how it works. Does it need any special equipment for this?
Here is the help text for the motion resolution patterns:

Motion Resolution (Half Cosine and Square)
This clip allows you to see how well you can resolve detail in moving images on your display.

Some display technologies are better than others at showing detail in moving objects. Most modern displays have motion interpolation technology to generate 120 or 240 frames per second, which improves perceptual detail on moving objects.

These patterns have a small burst that moves back and forth in a sinusoidal pattern, with a maximum speed of 18 pixels per frame (PPF).

You should be able to see the burst clearly at the endpoints, when it stops to change direction. As it speeds up, it will typically suddenly look much blurrier at some point in its travel. If you change interpolation modes, you can see how it affects the point where it turns blurry, and how blurry it looks once that happens.
Each row of the pattern represents a different resolution.
Row 1 - 2160p
Row 2 - 1080p
Row 3 - 720p
Row 4 - 540p
Row 5 - 432p

The bursts move back and fourth from 0.0ppf to 18.0ppf as mentioned in the help text. Check one speed at a time by focusing on that area of the pattern and wait for the burst to pass. You have a static burst above for reference to compare against. The faster the motion, the more blurred it will be, which is why we have different speed markers.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
@sspears I don't know you view streaming content often, I would like to get a comment from you on Godzilla vs King Kong HDR presentation on HBO Max.

If you the time, just a 5-10 minute look at some scenes with perspective would be nice.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
@sspears I don't know you view streaming content often, I would like to get a comment from you on Godzilla vs King Kong HDR presentation on HBO Max.

If you the time, just a 5-10 minute look at some scenes with perspective would be nice.

Have not watched it or any of the releases on HBO. It constantly pauses when I try and watch. It is hard enough to get through John Oliver or Bill Maher because of this. Don't have that issue with any other streaming service and I use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+ and Paramount+ all the time. I mostly watch TV shows right now.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Have not watched it or any of the releases on HBO. It constantly pauses when I try and watch. It is hard enough to get through John Oliver or Bill Maher because of this. Don't have that issue with any other streaming service and I use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+ and Paramount+ all the time. I mostly watch TV shows right now.
Seems to vary depending on the device being used. On my Amazon 4k stick I barely have issues, but I have a friend who has the same problems you have.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I'm casting, surprisingly it works. Although, I have to play the content first on a mobile device or laptop, then cast to my display. Once the connection is made, resolution ramps up pretty quickly. It streams in DV, WarnerMedia seems to have done a pretty good job on the server side of HDR presentation.

Its just something about the color, it looks like a clever use of color volume. Nothing appears to be over or under saturated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all, a couple quick questions:

1- Can I use the S&M UHD latest version to "calibrate" my projector for both 4K and 1080p and for both HDR and SDR? Would that give me 2 (SDR & HDR) or 3 (1080p, 4K SDR, 4K HDR) different sets of settings? Would the settings I arrive at using that be useful for other sources (PS4, AppleTV, etc.) or only for the blu-ray player I used it for? Assuming I use the same color profil etc. on all sources of course.

2- I see there's a new version in the works, should I wait? I searched but couldn't find what the differences/improvements will be in the new version. For what it's worth, I'll be calibrating a 2017 JVC projector (DLA-RS520 = DLA-X770).

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Hi all, a couple quick questions:

1- Can I use the S&M UHD latest version to "calibrate" my projector for both 4K and 1080p and for both HDR and SDR? Would that give me 2 (SDR & HDR) or 3 (1080p, 4K SDR, 4K HDR) different sets of settings? Would the settings I arrive at using that be useful for other sources (PS4, AppleTV, etc.) or only for the blu-ray player I used it for? Assuming I use the same color profil etc. on all sources of course.

2- I see there's a new version in the works, should I wait? I searched but couldn't find what the differences/improvements will be in the new version. For what it's worth, I'll be calibrating a 2017 JVC projector (DLA-RS520 = DLA-X770).

Thanks!
1. It is primarily an HDR disc. It has some SDR, but only a small subset. Some patterns will work and some won't be ideal. Anything that uses single pixels to test something won't work when scaled down to 1080p. (PQ/gamma tracking for example) Same for the sharpness pattern, the scaling may introduce artifacts that look like a sharpening artifact.

With that said, is your display HD or UHD resolution? If you are simply concerned about HD sources, then that would really fall under SDR 709 vs. HD.

2. Yes, it will be a 3-disc set that includes HDR and SDR vs. HDR w/ a subset of SDR. It will also include Atmos audio for setting levels, something for bass management and some pans for timbre, phase, gaps in coverage, etc...

We started encoding the SDR disc about a week ago. That should finish in the next 2-3 weeks and then it will be delivered to authoring. Meanwhile disc 1 is in authoring. Disc 3 is the smallest to author and I have a couple encodes left, but won't test till its authored and it may require re-encoding after QC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1. It is primarily an HDR disc. It has some SDR, but only a small subset. Some patterns will work and some won't be ideal. Anything that uses single pixels to test something won't work when scaled down to 1080p. (PQ/gamma tracking for example) Same for the sharpness pattern, the scaling may introduce artifacts that look like a sharpening artifact.

With that said, is your display HD or UHD resolution? If you are simply concerned about HD sources, then that would really fall under SDR 709 vs. HD.

2. Yes, it will be a 3-disc set that includes HDR and SDR vs. HDR w/ a subset of SDR. It will also include Atmos audio for setting levels, something for bass management and some pans for timbre, phase, gaps in coverage, etc...

We started encoding the SDR disc about a week ago. That should finish in the next 2-3 weeks and then it will be delivered to authoring. Meanwhile disc 1 is in authoring. Disc 3 is the smallest to author and I have a couple encodes left, but won't test till its authored and it may require re-encoding after QC.
Thanks a lot for your answer, Stacey. Listening to you on a podcast, the passion is real!

My display is "faux-k", meaning it's a 1080p pixel-shifter which creates 4K using retinal persistence. Maybe not QUITE as detailed as true 4K projectors, opinions vary, but it does accept and use 4K signals.
I am concerned about 1080p sources/material because there's still a lot of it. So am I to understand a "calibration" made using your disc would be equally valid for 1080p and 4K?
It seems you're saying most of the disc is HDR, does that mean I should track down the previous blu-ray version so I can do SDR calibration as well? HDR isn't stellar on projectors, especially older ones, as you probably know. I intend to rely on a Panasonic player to do tone mapping but it won't be my only source and can only go so far, or so I gather.

Reading the second part of your answer, however, it seems like I'll be better off waiting for completion of the upcoming version if it includes both HDR and SDR, with the added bonus of audio calibration. Would you agree? Or maybe get the current version and use the upgrade pricing later on (if it's available in Canada)? The disc isn't cheap here (65$+tx) but it may be worth it if it means a few months of better picture until you come out with the new disc. What do you think?

Thanks again for everything you do and your active support.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Thanks a lot for your answer, Stacey. Listening to you on a podcast, the passion is real!

My display is "faux-k", meaning it's a 1080p pixel-shifter which creates 4K using retinal persistence. Maybe not QUITE as detailed as true 4K projectors, opinions vary, but it does accept and use 4K signals.
I am concerned about 1080p sources/material because there's still a lot of it. So am I to understand a "calibration" made using your disc would be equally valid for 1080p and 4K?
It seems you're saying most of the disc is HDR, does that mean I should track down the previous blu-ray version so I can do SDR calibration as well? HDR isn't stellar on projectors, especially older ones, as you probably know. I intend to rely on a Panasonic player to do tone mapping but it won't be my only source and can only go so far, or so I gather.

Reading the second part of your answer, however, it seems like I'll be better off waiting for completion of the upcoming version if it includes both HDR and SDR, with the added bonus of audio calibration. Would you agree? Or maybe get the current version and use the upgrade pricing later on (if it's available in Canada)? The disc isn't cheap here (65$+tx) but it may be worth it if it means a few months of better picture until you come out with the new disc. What do you think?

Thanks again for everything you do and your active support.
I would wait for the new disc this summer. I think your display behaves more like UHD than HD scaled to UHD, but I have not used on myself. I have decided to go for an 88" OLED to replace my projection system. My screen is 92", which is not as large as many, so the downsize to 88" won't be the end of the world. I may put a drop down screen in front of it for when I want to watch something on a larger screen.

For now, I am ordering a MadVR Envy to use in place of Dolby Vision on disc. I will just disable Dolby on my player and force HDR10 out and use the MadVR tone mapping. A few months will go by quickly.

I will post another update once all of the SDR content is encoded and another once I have disc 1 to start testing. The testing is going to be a lot of work given all of the combinations, so that is the long pole.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks a lot once more, Stacey.
I can handle a few months of less than ideal video settings while I set up the rest of the system anyway.
I love my 135" screen and will gladly make compromises on ultimate brightness for that theater effect (sitting around 11' from the screen).
Not having a TV to compare the image, ignorance is bliss! ;)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My display is "faux-k", meaning it's a 1080p pixel-shifter which creates 4K using retinal persistence.
Is that the same as "wobulation"? I could occasionally see the interlacing effect of that on the old "1080p" DLP rear projection sets when there was motion diagonally across the screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is that the same as "wobulation"? I could occasionally see the interlacing effect of that on the old "1080p" DLP rear projection sets when there was motion diagonally across the screen.
I'm not sure. Here's a description: 4K e-shift 3 technology | DLA-X900R/DLA-X700R/DLA-X500R | JVC.

Opinions vary, but many reviewers stated that it was hard to see a difference in sharpness/resolution between an e-shift native 1080p JVC vs. a native 4K Sony (same LCOS technology). Now JVC has gone with true native 4K for their Procision Series with even one model doing e-shift on that to create 8K.

All I can tell you is I can't see any artifacts and I see zero screendoor effect at my viewing position, where I could see it very easily with my previous 1080p Epson. I haven't made too many tests, but I also seemed to see a significant improvement with e-shift turned on vs. off on the JVC. Seems to work very well.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm not sure. Here's a description: 4K e-shift 3 technology | DLA-X900R/DLA-X700R/DLA-X500R | JVC.

Opinions vary, but many reviewers stated that it was hard to see a difference in sharpness/resolution between an e-shift native 1080p JVC vs. a native 4K Sony (same LCOS technology). Now JVC has gone with true native 4K for their Procision Series with even one model doing e-shift on that to create 8K.

All I can tell you is I can't see any artifacts and I see zero screendoor effect at my viewing position, where I could see it very easily with my previous 1080p Epson. I haven't made too many tests, but I also seemed to see a significant improvement with e-shift turned on vs. off on the JVC. Seems to work very well.
Thanks! Very interesting! That does appear to be the same basic approach as wobulation used on JVC's DLP projectors. I didn't know they had a way of doing it using D-ILA since it doesn't use moving micromirrors. It looks like they're using an "e-shift" device instead.

1381 - 1400 of 1415 Posts