AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 875 Posts

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over on the Theta Digital thread here at this forum I've discussed how impressed I am with multi-channel rips of SACD ISO files & FLAC multi-channel rips of DVD-Audio discs played via JRiver Media Center on a Dell 8500 with an AMD Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5 video card. (My system: Four Aerial 9s, 1 Aerial CC5, 3 Aerial SW12 subs, pair Theta Citadel 1.5 monoblocks, 3 Theta Enterprise monoblocks, Theta Gen VIIII Series 3 DAC, Theta CB3 HD, etc). (The Dell 8500 is "borrowed" to demo with as I had it in my home office, and as the AMD Radeon card allows JRiver Media Center to do everything it wants with the JRiver digital audio output then unchanged out HDMI into the CB3 [email protected]@@

Edorr, Steve Kale and Bulldogger have all discussed audiophile PCs to use for both multi-channel and also two channel.

I luv my Bryston BDP-1 for two channel, but now that I've found the pleasure of multi-channel over HDMI, I am considering bye bye Bryston, using a newly to be built audiophile PC for both two channel (probably using an external asynchronous USB to

digitial coax/etc converter) and HDMI multi-channel. Especially as I've got JRiver using JRemote on my iPad now. And I am finding JRiver so each to use and with so many powerful features including EQ.

So Edorr, Steve Kale, Bulldogger, etc help me with ideas and specs for this audiophile [email protected]@

I am in touch with Andrew at www.smallgreencomputer.com , which the online Computer Audiophile refers to that company if you want to buy a prebuilt home theater PC per specs of the models recommended by Computer Audiophile, the latest models being CAPS

(Computer Audiophile Server) 3.0, of which the one closest to my needs for multi-channel over HDMI is the CAPS 3.0 Zuma. However, with the ripped SACD ISOs in particular, this needs a lot of processing power over HDMI multi-channel, thus an add on AMD Radeon or equivalent video card for this purpose.

Here is my starting point for my audiophile PC build. The first paragraph below is the basic CAPS 3.0 Zuma.

CAPS v3 Zuma - Total Price: $1,547

Case: Streacom FC5WS EVO Price: $272.00 Link

Motherboard: Intel DH77EB / BOXDH77EB Price: $100.00 Link

Processor: Intel Core i7 i3770S Price: $305 Link

Memory: Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 (CT2KIT51264BA160B) Price: $45.00 Link

SSD: MZ-7PD064BW Price: $100.00 Link

Power Supply: picoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kit Price: $76.00 Link

Playback App: JRMC v18 Price: $50.00 Link

Flexible Riser: EXP1-362-10 Price: $34.50 Link

Add-in Card: SOtM tX-USBexp Price: $350 Simple Design

SATA Power Noise Filter: SOtM Price: $65 Link

Cable: Internal USB 3.0 Price: $9.00 Link

Following are deletions, additions, changes to the above for my purposes:

Delete - Case: Streacom FC5WS EVO Price: $272.00 Link

Add – Case: Silverstone Crown Series SST-CW02B-MXR-USB3.0 (black + LCD/IR + multimedia + card reader)

(although case comes with supposedly "quiet" fans, will delete fans from build as components speced so won't run hot enough

to require fans)

Add – Sapphire HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 Ultimate video card (w HDMI out, video card will pass through unaltered hi rez PCM from redbook on up to 192-24 including 176-24, 96-24, 88-24, etc)

Increase memory to 16 GB RAM

Increase SSD to 128 GB SSD

Need to add a asynchronous USB to digital converter to use with Theta CB3 HD and/or Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DAC!

IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, THOUGHTS, RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE! [email protected]@@

Keep in mind as I demo with my Dell 8500 XPS that it has the following components:

3rd Gen Intel Core i&-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7770 2 GB GDDR5

Hard Drive 2TB SATA, 7200 RPM, & 32 GB SSD

12 GB SDSR3 SDRAM 1600MHz

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I know edorr was selling his fully modded up off-ramp 5 converter. About the best you can get, spec/quality vs price.

I recently tried this route but with the sotm USB / spdif converter and battery pack. Detail and noise floor very good indeed. But overall I found the presentation to be flat and somewhat lifeless. So have gone back to streaming from my oppo using android oppo media app for ease of use. Much better sound.

Just waiting on the nad m50 to come into stock again to give that a whirl.

So I'd say go off ramp 5 or better.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23324710

Over on the Theta Digital thread here at this forum I've discussed how impressed I am with multi-channel rips of SACD ISO files & FLAC multi-channel rips of DVD-Audio discs played via JRiver Media Center on a Dell 8500 with an AMD Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5 video card. (My system: Four Aerial 9s, 1 Aerial CC5, 3 Aerial SW12 subs, pair Theta Citadel 1.5 monoblocks, 3 Theta Enterprise monoblocks, Theta Gen VIIII Series 3 DAC, Theta CB3 HD, etc). (The Dell 8500 is "borrowed" to demo with as I had it in my home office, and as the AMD Radeon card allows JRiver Media Center to do everything it wants with the JRiver digital audio output then unchanged out HDMI into the CB3 [email protected]@@

Edorr, Steve Kale and Bulldogger have all discussed audiophile PCs to use for both multi-channel and also two channel.

I luv my Bryston BDP-1 for two channel, but now that I've found the pleasure of multi-channel over HDMI, I am considering bye bye Bryston, using a newly to be built audiophile PC for both two channel (probably using an external asynchronous USB to

digitial coax/etc converter) and HDMI multi-channel. Especially as I've got JRiver using JRemote on my iPad now. And I am finding JRiver so each to use and with so many powerful features including EQ.

So Edorr, Steve Kale, Bulldogger, etc help me with ideas and specs for this audiophile [email protected]@

I am in touch with Andrew at www.smallgreencomputer.com , which the online Computer Audiophile refers to that company if you want to buy a prebuilt home theater PC per specs of the models recommended by Computer Audiophile, the latest models being CAPS

(Computer Audiophile Server) 3.0, of which the one closest to my needs for multi-channel over HDMI is the CAPS 3.0 Zuma. However, with the ripped SACD ISOs in particular, this needs a lot of processing power over HDMI multi-channel, thus an add on AMD Radeon or equivalent video card for this purpose.

Here is my starting point for my audiophile PC build. The first paragraph below is the basic CAPS 3.0 Zuma.

CAPS v3 Zuma - Total Price: $1,547

Case: Streacom FC5WS EVO Price: $272.00 Link

Motherboard: Intel DH77EB / BOXDH77EB Price: $100.00 Link

Processor: Intel Core i7 i3770S Price: $305 Link

Memory: Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 (CT2KIT51264BA160B) Price: $45.00 Link

SSD: MZ-7PD064BW Price: $100.00 Link

Power Supply: picoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kit Price: $76.00 Link

Playback App: JRMC v18 Price: $50.00 Link

Flexible Riser: EXP1-362-10 Price: $34.50 Link

Add-in Card: SOtM tX-USBexp Price: $350 Simple Design

Cable: Internal USB 3.0 Price: $9.00 Link

Following are deletions, additions, changes to the above for my purposes:

Delete - Case: Streacom FC5WS EVO Price: $272.00 Link

Add – Case: Silverstone Crown Series SST-CW02B-MXR-USB3.0 (black + LCD/IR + multimedia + card reader)

(although case comes with supposedly "quiet" fans, will delete fans from build as components speced so won't run hot enough

to require fans)

Add – Sapphire HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 Ultimate video card (w HDMI out, video card will pass through unaltered hi rez PCM from redbook on up to 192-24 including 176-24, 96-24, 88-24, etc)

Increase memory to 16 GB RAM

Increase SSD to 128 GB SSD

Need to add a asynchronous USB to digital converter to use with Theta CB3 HD and/or Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DAC!

IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, THOUGHTS, RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE! [email protected]@@

Steve, I just went through the same decision making process and pulled the trigger on a Multi Channel CAPS 3.0 Zuma that Andrew @ smallgreen will be building for me. I researched this quite a bit and think I can offer good advise. However, I need to understand one parameter. Are you planning to use this as an audio only server (i.e. 2 channel + SACD MCH + DVD-A rips), and will you play all things video with the Compli 3D, OR are you planning to also rip your Blu Rays and run them on this server?

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...multi-channel-hi-rez-audio/0_10#post_23325208

Steve, I just went through the same decision making process and pulled the trigger on a Multi Channel CAPS 3.0 Zuma that Andrew @ smallgreen will be building for me. I researched this quite a bit and think I can offer good advise. However, I need to understand one parameter. Are you planning to use this as an audio only server (i.e. 2 channel + SACD MCH + DVD-A rips), and will you play all things video with the Compli 3D, OR are you planning to also rip your Blu Rays and run them on this server?

I am doing this for audio only, I plan to continue doing my blu rays/video with the Compli Blu 3D.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23325440

I am doing this for audio only, I plan to continue doing my blu rays/video with the Compli Blu 3D.

That makes things a lot easier....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23325440

Especially as I've got JRiver using JRemote on my iPad now. And I am finding JRiver so each to use and with so many powerful features including EQ.

JRemote is the gold standard in iPad control apps, and JRiver will put to shame any of the linux based proprietary servers....

Few considerations on your signal path though.

You are playing ISOs. You should extracting to DSF. Here is how to do it (stolen from computeroudiophile resident SACD ripping expert ted_d - ask him on that forum for more detail):

Primer to take ISOs and convert to DSF folders (in batch, even):

1) First make a new folder close to a root drive (so the naming path doesn’t get too long..sometimes the classical ones are ridiculous). Call it anything, say, C:\ISO2DSD.

2) Then make a subfolder in it called Programs (capital “P”).

3) Put the SACD-extract.exe (first link below, unzip) executable in the Programs subfolder.

sacd_extract_0.3.7_WIN32.zip - sacd-ripper - SACD Extract 0.3.7 (WIN32) - SACD ripping software using a PS3 - Google Project Hosting

4) Put the bat file (link below, unzip) in the main folder.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3487125/Ext...SF%20Files.zip

5) So then put any number of ISOs (rename the ISOs if their name is too long; something that will uniquely identify them but not too long) you want to extract in the main folder (the one with the bat, the one we hypothetically called ISO2DSD).

6) Click on the bat file and voila……and then each ISO will extract to DSF tracks, putting one album full of tracks in a folder each (20 ISOs, 20 new folders created). When you do this again (for more ISOs) remove the already-extracted ISOs or they will get worked on again! Each ISO can take 10 minutes or more, so once you have this down well do a ****load overnight.

Next, I would consider converting the files to PCM. DSD to PCM conversion on the fly in JRiver is a big load on the CPU. Once I got this all set up I will try permanent conversion for MCH files myself. One reason to do this is from what I heard Jplay 5.1 is a huge improvemenent over previous versions ("gamechanger" accroding tro some), and finally integrates seamlessly with Jriver. However, processor intensive. If you have converted your DSDs to PCM this should not be a problem to run - if you also need to do on the fly conversions your PC may choke. If at some point you want to expirement running Dirac live on the server, it gets even more processor intensive.

Quote:

There is a school of thought that believes this filter is detrimental to sound quality.

Read this: http://ppastudio.blogspot.hk/2013/02/optimize-computer-audiophile-pocket.html

I have mine ripped out.
Quote:

Sapphire HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 Ultimate video card (w HDMI out, video card will pass through unaltered hi rez PCM from redbook on up to 192-24 including 176-24, 96-24, 88-24, etc)

Why would you need this? This is a video card that consumer tons of power, adds noise in the box and probably does not anything for your audio over HDMI. You can just use the HDMI interface on the motherboard.

In fact, there is a huge compelling argument to NOT use an HDMI video card. With a video card installed , you CANNOT use the Red Wine Audio battery power supply. This powersupply is the single biggest step up from CAPS 2.0 to CAPS 3.0. Ditch the HDMI card and get the Red Wine audio PS! For me this was a bigger dilemma than you, because I use HDMI video (which presumably is a lot better with an HDMI video card). You don't have that trade-off to make. (I ended up without an HDMI card as well, and got the Powersupply).

Other consideration:

Read this:
http://ppastudio.blogspot.com/2012/04/best-sata-cable-for-audio-in-world.html

Leap of faith, but I ordered one of thses for my build. Positive reports about these from audio only guys with six figure systems.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23324824

I know edorr was selling his fully modded up off-ramp 5 converter. About the best you can get, spec/quality vs price.

I recently tried this route but with the sotm USB / spdif converter and battery pack. Detail and noise floor very good indeed. But overall I found the presentation to be flat and somewhat lifeless. So have gone back to streaming from my oppo using android oppo media app for ease of use. Much better sound.

Just waiting on the nad m50 to come into stock again to give that a whirl.

So I'd say go off ramp 5 or better.

I sold my OR5 because USB on my MSB DAC was equivalent or better. There are tons of threads on "best USB converter". If you're shopping for a USB converter, based on all I read the top three contenders appear to be the OR5, the Berkeley, and the Audiophilleo2. I have not compared any of these against my OR5.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have already converted lots of SACD ISOs to 2 channel 176-24 PCM. I am already set up to do this for the multi-channel SACD ISOs. But its so much easier to have PC processing power and simply play direct from the multi-channel SACD ISOs, which I am presently doing with my borrowed from my home office Dell 8500 with the AMD Radion 7750 video card!

However, I will consider what you have stated and appreciate your input. Though I may go my own route. HA!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23327143

I have already converted lots of SACD ISOs to 2 channel 176-24 PCM. I am already set up to do this for the multi-channel SACD ISOs. But its so much easier to have PC processing power and simply play direct from the multi-channel SACD ISOs, which I am presently doing with my borrowed from my home office Dell 8500 with the AMD Radion 7750 video card!

However, I will consider what you have stated and appreciate your input. Though I may go my own route. HA!

At the very least consider foregoing the HDMI video card allowing you to use the battery powersupply. This will also pay big dividends on 2 channel playback. You can get the powersupply outfitted to power the SotM USB card seprately.

What program are you using for DSD to PCM conversion? I have not done this myself yet, because I can playback my 2 channels as native DSD using DoP, but for my multi-channel rips I need to convert to PCM as well.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...multi-channel-hi-rez-audio/0_10#post_23327182

At the very least consider foregoing the HDMI video card allowing you to use the battery powersupply. This will also pay big dividends on 2 channel playback. You can get the powersupply outfitted to power the SotM USB card seprately.

What program are you using for DSD to PCM conversion? I have not done this myself yet, because I can playback my 2 channels as native DSD using DoP, but for my multi-channel rips I need to convert to PCM as well.

I have been using Korg Audiogate for DSD to PCM conversion. I find the converted hi rez PCM sounds best from dsf converted to 176-24 PCM (FLAC uncompressed is what I use), using Korg Audiogate's soft roll off and Aqua dither.

I want to simply use JRiver to play the ripped multi-channel SACD ISO files because its way easier that way. When I extract the dsf files from the ripped SACD ISO file, the track #s and info are off a lot and require manually inserting the info. But when JRiver plays the

ripped SACD ISO file, whether two channel or multi-channel, JRiver gets the correct track info and this shows on the PC LCD screen or on the iPad using JRemote. So much easier just playing the ISO file. I'll just do a separate power supply for the video card for this purpose.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23327793

So much easier just playing the ISO file. I'll just do a separate power supply for the video card for this purpose.

I had the same idea and asked Andrew about this because I wanted an HDMI video card (for video) as well. He said it can't be done (i.e. split the powersupply), and the machine will become unstable. You can either optimize audio with the battery powersupply, or get the HDMI video card - not both.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23327793

I have been using Korg Audiogate for DSD to PCM conversion. I find the converted hi rez PCM sounds best from dsf converted to 176-24 PCM (FLAC uncompressed is what I use), using Korg Audiogate's soft roll off and Aqua dither.

Thanks. I should probably use that as well. Izotope is supposed to be better, but very pricey.
Quote:

I want to simply use JRiver to play the ripped multi-channel SACD ISO files because its way easier that way. When I extract the dsf files from the ripped SACD ISO file, the track #s and info are off a lot and require manually inserting the info. But when JRiver plays the ripped SACD ISO file, whether two channel or multi-channel, JRiver gets the correct track info and this shows on the PC LCD screen or on the iPad using JRemote. So much easier just playing the ISO file.

Sounds like ISO rips is the way to go if you have the processing power. Wonder what happens when you run the ISO rips, convert to PCM on the fly and run Jplay at the same time though...

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...ulti-channel-hi-rez-audio/10_10#post_23327894

Thanks. I should probably use that as well. Izotope is supposed to be better, but very pricey.

Sounds like ISO rips is the way to go if you have the processing power. Wonder what happens when you run the ISO rips, convert to PCM on the fly and run Jplay at the same time though...

I've already played with EQing, etc with my Dell 8500 with AMD Radeon video card and all works fine. How did you know next on my to do list is to download and use JPlay and see how this works with my setup. H!

I am getting you ideas (AVSers) and doing some demoing prior to finalizing the audiophile PC order. HA!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23328117

I've already played with EQing, etc with my Dell 8500 with AMD Radeon video card and all works fine. How did you know next on my to do list is to download and use JPlay and see how this works with my setup. H!

Again, I'm far from an expert, but in my estimation if all your HDMI video card does is draw lots of power, generate noise in your machine and pass through the audio untouched it does you no good in a music only server. The sapphire you're looking at even has a fan! Ask around with some guys they know what they are talking about far better than me (including manufacturer of the card and Andrew @ smallgreen) and decide if you really want one in your CAPS 3.0.

I'm hearing stellar reports on Jplay 5.1. I tried and ditched 4.0 myself because it made my machine unstable, but will be trying the new version shortly.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Dell 8500 has I7 and the right board supposedly to pass through the audio hi rez signal as modded by JRiver - but it won't for multi-channel ISO SACD ripped files - will only do the pass through for 2 channel files. This is why the video card is necessary. And how do I know - because I've been playing with ripped ISOs multi-channel SACD over HDMI!

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't get JPlay to work with JRiver and my Dell 8500 with the AMD Radeon video card over HDMI - no sound when I follow the JPlay instructions. I tried SACD ISOs, DVD-Audio 96-24 FLAC files with no success. :mad:I did a "JPlay HDMI" web search and only found one small thread at the JPlay forum re HDMI, and the thread starter was unable to get his laptops to work over HDMI with JPlay. The lack of anything anywhere on the web discussing JPlay over HDMI to me demonstrates a lack of interest and no one doing this successfully. Oh well. Multi-channel hi rez audio sounds excellent just using JRiver anyway.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23328201

My Dell 8500 has I7 and the right board supposedly to pass through the audio hi rez signal as modded by JRiver - but it won't for multi-channel ISO SACD ripped files - will only do the pass through for 2 channel files. This is why the video card is necessary. And how do I know - because I've been playing with ripped ISOs multi-channel SACD over HDMI!

That is disappointing. I don't think it has to do with the i7 processor, but with the implementation of the HDMI controller on the motherboard. Since the Zuma will have a different motherboard, before throwing in the towel, I would ask Andrew if he can test if MCH HDMI over Jriver works with this board. You can also post the question on the computeaudiophile forum, which is where most Zuma owners hang out.

If this fails, you still have the option of building two CAPS 3.0 - you can probably get away with the carbon (with the battery PS) for 2 channel (although I believe high rez and Jplay pushes the limiton the carbon processor), and build a Zuma with the video card for MCH. Cost of redundant component is about $1,000.

If you need the video card, I would go down the procuctline and get one without a fan. They will presumably all pass through MCH audio just fine.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23329190

I can't get JPlay to work with JRiver and my Dell 8500 with the AMD Radeon video card over HDMI - no sound when I follow the JPlay instructions. I tried SACD ISOs, DVD-Audio 96-24 FLAC files with no success. :mad:I did a "JPlay HDMI" web search and only found one small thread at the JPlay forum re HDMI, and the thread starter was unable to get his laptops to work over HDMI with JPlay. The lack of anything anywhere on the web discussing JPlay over HDMI to me demonstrates a lack of interest and no one doing this successfully. Oh well. Multi-channel hi rez audio sounds excellent just using JRiver anyway.

Very few people fiddling with MCH and Jplay. The problem could be either HDMI or MCH. I will have my Zuma outfitted with a Lynx AES16e card for multi channel, so if that works, HDMI is the problem. If it does not, it is a MCH issue.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Guys, if you are not using the PC itself as the analog audio source, the power supply or other components are going to have zero effect on audio.

The only thing that will affect audio quality is whatever device you are using as the DAC. (e.g. an AVR if you are sending audio over HDMI from the PC)

It is laughable that someone would claim a SATA cable made a difference to audio playback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...ulti-channel-hi-rez-audio/0_100#post_23324710

Just use the on-board sound card to Toslink or S/PDIF. (whichever it supports) A high-end DAC like that should not be susceptible to source jitter. If it is, you are better off replacing the DAC. Even cheap DACs are jitter immune these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...ulti-channel-hi-rez-audio/0_100#post_23327182

The latest JRiver Media Center update just added support for DSD conversion. (to any format) You also have three filters to choose from, to eliminate the ultrasonic noise. (use the 24kHz one)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...ulti-channel-hi-rez-audio/0_100#post_23329190

I can't get JPlay to work with JRiver…
JPlay is a scam. JRiver already does everything necessary for the best possible audio output.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23330061

Guys, if you are not using the PC itself as the analog audio source, the power supply or other components are going to have zero effect on audio.

The upgraded powersupply allegedly turns the good Oppo 93 into a stellar digital transpart (Compli Blu). Users must all be smoking crack, and the engineers that come up with these ideas are all charlatans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist  /t/1473076/spec-an-audiophile-pc-wi...-for-multi-channel-hi-rez-audio#post_23330061

It is laughable that someone would claim a SATA cable made a difference to audio playback.

Without a sense of humor, this hobby is no fun.
Quote:

Just use the on-board sound card to Toslink or S/PDIF. (whichever it supports) A high-end DAC like that should not be susceptible to source jitter. If it is, you are better off replacing the DAC. Even cheap DACs are jitter immune these days.

See previous comment. This is a laughable statement.
Quote:

The latest JRiver Media Center update just added support for DSD conversion. (to any format) You also have three filters to choose from, to eliminate the ultrasonic noise. (use the 24kHz one)

JPlay is a scam. JRiver already does everything necessary for the best possible audio output.

Jriver converts on the fly. I am talking about converting the files on disc.

1 - 20 of 875 Posts