AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is the second night in a row I've rented a special edition that had an awful grainy transfer. Tonight it was Hitchcocks "the Birds". Talk about shovelware, it didn't look like ANY even slight restoration attempt was made. How could they think of release a classic like that without restoration and much less call it a Special Edition?

Last night was the Special Edition of "Out of Africa". OK I know, another Redford snoozefest, but it did win "Best Picture" mostly on the strength of its cinematography. OK I take it back, the one possible enhancement made to both disks was some pretty garish edge enhancement. ARRRRRRGH!

Speaking of edge enhancement, there was the Special Edition of "Tombstone" I rented last week which also suffered from graininess and an overall lame transfer.

What gives?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Most DVD's are released with special edition --- or collectors edition emblazened on the box. This used to mean in the past that this was something new over the 'standard' or older edition....

Marketting BS...

- Rick

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Usually whenever I see the words "special edition", my expectation is that the dvd will include extra special features such as commentary and/or deleted scenes in addition to the movie itself. And I happen to enjoy some of this extra stuff myself. I never think of "special edition" as having to do with the transfer or mastering of the movie itself.

If I am looking for a dvd that is likely a good transfer I look for the words "superbit" or "Paramount".

If I see the words "MGM", I am expecting a movie that may have an inferior transfer.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Kinda like the full screen "Collector's" Edition. What collector in their right mind only wants 60% of the picture?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
OK this is the second night in a row I've rented a special edition that had an awful grainy transfer. Tonight it was Hitchcocks "the Birds". Talk about shovelware, it didn't look like ANY even slight restoration attempt was made. How could they think of release a classic like that without restoration and much less call it a Special Edition?
Really? That surprises the heck out of me. I haven't seen it yet (on DVD anyway) but two of the best review sites on the net (Digital Bits and DVDReview.com) gave the transfer raving reviews.

Dvd Review.com states "As I had hoped, Universal Home Video’s release of "The Birds" is a beautiful and meticulously created special edition. Not only does it feature the movie in a flawless presentation that is beautiful to behold, it also gives viewers the rare opportunity to learn more about the genius that was at work behind the camera. For every fan of Alfred Hitchcock the insight offered in the workings of the director on this DVD are invaluable."

and Digital Bits claims "On DVD, The Birds looks very good. This is obviously a brand new transfer because it looks gorgeous. The anamorphic widescreen transfer is striking, particularly when you consider the age of the movie."

I guess I'll have to see it for myself, but I have a moratorium on DVD's until I get my plasma in a few weeks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
HTCrazy, perhaps your cat stepped on your remote and reset your display to garish edge-enhanced factory settings? Or maybe it was the underpants gnomes.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was surprising to me as well. I'd seen "Rear Window" a week or so ago and was impressed with the amount of restoration they did. "The Birds" was just awful. I DID rent it at blockbuster though. Maybe the disc was swapped for an earlier shovelware version somewhere down the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.