AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting from scratch and so I'm starting fresh with my electrical connections.

Other than trying to have outlets and other hookups in appropriate locations, do I need to think about having additional power/amps/volts or whatever coming into my theater room area?

I'm kind of a zero with electrical stuff, so any insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
It depends on what you want (your equipment)/the resources you already have/your skill level/location, etc.

For instance, I ran 3 20amp circuits to my equipment closet, dedicated lines throughout the basement, etc.

Is it excessive? Probably.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I too would run two to three 20 circuits. The additional labor cost is minimal. The materials cost is also low. Meaning it doesn't cost more for labor to pull three cables versus one from a panel to your equipment area.

Now some electricians may want to charge by the outlet. Just find one that works on T&M.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/17008309

It depends on what you want (your equipment)/the resources you already have/your skill level/location, etc.

For instance, I ran 3 20amp circuits to my equipment closet, dedicated lines throughout the basement, etc.

Is it excessive? Probably.

And I one upped you on excessive with four 20amp circuits. I can run my entire house off of what i fed to the equipment rack.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I did a separate equipment closet and workroom (about 75 SF total). I'm going to use it to house all of the equipment and as a computer work room. I installed three dedicated 20A circuits behind the future home of the equipment rack, and one 20A circuit for the other 10 outlets in the room (8 outlets around the countertop and top cabinets.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,119 Posts
Don't forget power to the Projector. Of course there are 100 threads on this little item, specifically how to provide protection and in some cases UPS. If your area is subject to frequent power outages you might want to think about a UPS that allows you to use the cooling fan to properly shut the projector down.

Search on the term Power Bridge for a method of connecting power conditioning to the projector circuit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.