AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will save a long story about why this means a lot to me... But it does.

My mother gave me a 1000 budget, I am ok spending up to 1200-1300

The budget for the 5.1 is about 1000 (rest is for accessories, room treatment and AVR with I am donating an onkyo 805 with a blown HDMI board)

She is not a critical listener but likes music enough to give into the WOW factor if I can make it happen. I am thinking spacious soundstage and clear mids (exagerated might not even be bad.)

Preface Notes:
1. I have 2 DIYSG Fusion-8's she can have for $200 from the budget - Issue is the cetner will cost $300...
2. I have one behringer b2030p she can have for free... I just can't find another one for sale since they are discontinued.

Subs
Was thinking DIY but don't have tools. Can buy a circular saw and made a rip cut jig. Wouldn't count that on the budget (may just round up some small thing ha.)

DIY
Was thinking 2 subs used as speaker stands for the L/R.
Trying to get it down to $400 maybe $500.
1 amp for sure...
Leading candidate is 2xinfinity 1262 ported to 25hz using flat packs.
Issue is...I would either need to give then 125 w each (gross underpower) and still stretch the budget since that will cost about $500 or waaaay raise the budget to $600 and stick her with an nu1000dsp (feels like a bad idea...)

Manufactured
Would certainly be just 1
Maybe SVS used?
My friend has 2 cherry subs - I am almost sure they are PL-200's... Could likely get those for $200

Got tired half way through this and will say more later about speakers...

For now was thinking
Option 1 - fusion 8 L/R, fusion 8 center and 2 jbl lsr305 sides (over budget...)
Option 2 - Arx fronts, JBL lst305 surrounds (WELL over budget...oh and the surrounds need either an amp or built in because they need to be wireless.
Option 3 - 5 x wavecrest audio hlv-1's (in budget!!!)
Option 4 - Used ascend acoustic (ideally 340) LRC, hlv-1 surrounds...
Option 5 - JBL lsr305 x 5
Option 6 - Fusion-6 x 5 (in budget)

As you can see... I am open to anything...

I just want to wow her!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Since you're open to anything, you might consider something like this. I’ll post what I own. The why I own these is simple. Great midrange and a large, detailed soundstage (both of which you asked for). They need a subwoofer to round out the lower end. Plus, if you get the red burl finish, it looks like a speaker that might cost 4 or 5 times as much.

$225 / pair (includes shipping) EMP Tek R5Bi bookshelf speaker (formally E5Bi): http://emptek.com/r5bi.php I’d also think about a third R5Bi for a center channel (works great).
Andrew Robinson's video review:

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you're open to anything, you might consider something like this. I’ll post what I own. The why I own these is simple. Great midrange and a large, detailed soundstage (both of which you asked for). They need a subwoofer to round out the lower end. Plus, if you get the red burl finish, it looks like a speaker that might cost 4 or 5 times as much.

$225 / pair (includes shipping) EMP Tek R5Bi bookshelf speaker (formally E5Bi): http://emptek.com/r5bi.php I’d also think about a third R5Bi for a center channel (works great).
Andrew Robinson's video review:
Thanks for the idea... Really dunno if I feel OK buying those blind. I know most of these will be blind but I have been burnt by bookshelfs before and by ones that people seem to love.

Also a 5.0 of that (4 with the center) pushes up near $700... They are out of stock also and I need speakers soon.

The goal is 500-600...

Should I be focusing on constant directivity since she will most use music and sit (or walk around) anywhere in the house??

Maybe the fusion-8 fronts, fusion-8 center and whatever surrounds I can get cheaply?

I figure the 8's should have enough dispersion that if I add form bipole/dipole surrounds she would be in love...

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
If you like the fusion, by all means go that direction. Makes a lot of financial sense. I'm not familiar with the fusion and just thought I'd mentioned another option for you to think about auditioning (it would cost $25 to send a pair back if you don't like them). And it's always safest to stay with something you know and like.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you like the fusion, by all means go that direction. Makes a lot of financial sense. I'm not familiar with the fusion and just thought I'd mentioned another option for you to think about auditioning (it would cost $25 to send a pair back if you don't like them). And it's always safest to stay with something you know and like.
no no thank you! they are out of stock and higher on the budget also... not a bad suggestion!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts