AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Yes, that's a very good piece all right. I really hope all the people who need to know somehow find their way to this:

Quote:
One big concern is that, no matter how good the production is, it will be mangled by its delivery to the home, whether it's by cable, DBS or broadcaster.

Content distributors look for ways to maximize compression so that they can open up bandwidth for more channels. Grover says transmitting HDTV sports content at less than 19 Mb/s degrades the picture quality. "Maybe in three to five years, compression technology will be good enough," he says, "but not today.

"We play with compression systems every day," he explains. "Once you take sports below 19 Mb/s, you are hurting the quality."
Anybody who says otherwise (with the current technology) is simply kidding themselves.

ron

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hopefully, SD production can be accomodated into HD production, instead of the other way around.

I visualize touchscreen cropping of an HD camera to provide the SD picture.

I copyright it, the "SDCreator" or SDC for short.

So you have your SDC displaying what's coming from an HD camera being used in HD production. You quickly draw a rough diagonal line with your finger or a stylus to indicate which part of the HD signal to use for the SD broadcast. Then you have zoom and pan buttons on the sides of the screen. You can slowly tap the "zoom in" button on the SDC, or click a "pan" button and then drag the box in a relatively straight line and the camera will slowly pan.

The question is, which is cheaper, having one guy handling 3-4 of these things at his workstation, or continuing to pay 3-4 guys to handle real SD cameras?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R11

Anybody who says otherwise (with the current technology) is simply kidding themselves.

ron
I say otherwise, and I'm not fooling squat. Your built in assumption is that the ONLY allowed compression is MPEG2, and that is very much a wrong assumption.

Mike

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Well it took many many years for the ATSC to agree to

broadcast MPEG2, so don't count on wavelets, DiVX or

some other more effective digital video compression

to show up for a decade at least.

MPEG2 is here to stay for quite a while.

I agree that 19Mbit/sec is already hurting quality

on fast motion DVcam, and multicasting 1080i

(down below 15Mbit/sec) just sucks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You can make that same argument about modulation schemes, but Dish just changed some of theirs to get some more bandwidth. In broadcast, you have a point, but in new DBS networks, I don't think so. For example, the new DBS network will use some of the newer compression / modulation schemes because they have no legacy code to worry about, and Sat bandwidth is a precious thing. They should be able to do locals in HD.

Mike

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
I say otherwise, and I'm not fooling squat. Your built in assumption is that the ONLY allowed compression is MPEG2, and that is very much a wrong assumption.
Come on Mike, you're picking nits here and you know what I meant. My point was primarily directed at some of the representatives from the local broadcast contingent who periodically post that they can multicast without detrimental effects. Besides, did you read the post? I said current technology as in currently being used. Sheesh...

ron

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R11

Come on Mike, you're picking nits here and you know what I meant. My point was primarily directed at some of the representatives from the local broadcast contingent who periodically post that they can multicast without detrimental effects. Besides, did you read the post? I said current technology as in currently being used. Sheesh...

ron
Those people must be in management, the engineers know better.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
NOt always one of our local PBS engineers has told me one sd channel will not degrade the hd channel.... But then these guys stopped doing hd altogather in favor of 5 sd channels. BUt the opinion is out there even with engineers.

-tony

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking specifically of one guy (engineer) in particular from one of those stations in the southeast I believe. North Carolina perhaps. I do believe in general that most engineers know better though :).

ron

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sorry ron,

You're right. I over reacted.

If you're restricting your comments to broadcast TV, you are absolutely correct... It'll be MPEG2 til doomsday.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.