AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Equipment used: Onkyo TX-SR604 Reciever

5.1 speaker set up.

I realize that Onkyo 604 will do 5.1 PCM and it is a 7.1 reciever. I ask this specifically for HD-DVD and Bluray because i dont understand the following things and cant get them to work.

1. I read online that the onkyo 604 will not do PCM to the surrounds. So now im confused about is the sound coming out of my rear speakers.

2. If i upgrade to a 7.1 setting can i do a matrix of PCM over all 4 back speakers with the 604.

Thanks and sorry if my post is confusing.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastley /forum/post/0

Equipment used: Onkyo TX-SR604 Reciever

5.1 speaker set up.

I realize that Onkyo 604 will do 5.1 PCM and it is a 7.1 reciever. I ask this specifically for HD-DVD and Bluray because i dont understand the following things and cant get them to work.

1. I read online that the onkyo 604 will not do PCM to the surrounds. So now im confused about is the sound coming out of my rear speakers.

Onkyo SR604 can do 5.1 pcm over HDMI, so if you have 5.1 setup, you are fine and will get sound from your surrounds too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastley /forum/post/0

2. If i upgrade to a 7.1 setting can i do a matrix of PCM over all 4 back speakers with the 604.

Thanks and sorry if my post is confusing.

SR604 can't apply surround processing on pcm digital sources (as mentioned in future proof sticky thread), so you will still be limited to 5.1.

You will be able to use PLIIx on bitstreams DD (5.1) or DTS (5.1) sources and get 7.1 sound. Only HD lossless audio formats will be an issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.