AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just moved into a new place, and waiting for speakerwire from monoprice to get here before I connect things.

I placed my sub in the corner by the main listening area since it wouldn't fit up front with my receiver, center, and fronts.

I currently have the subwoofer facing the front of the room, so that the rear of the sub is facing towards the back wall, and the front (woofer) is facing the TV/front wall. The sub is the SVS PB10-NSD.

My 14ft digital coaxial cable is just not long enough to go from my receiver to the back of the sub with how I have it right now (but it could reach it if I turned my sub around [was only short about 6"])... so my question is:

Will I notice any difference in performance or sound quality if I turn the sub around, so that the woofer is facing the back wall, and the rear panel is facing the TV/front of the room?

I know subs are nondirectional and that I should just test it myself, which I probably will, but I'm hoping for some feedback tonight since I can't test it yet.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Just doooo iiiiiiiittttttt!

Should be fine. There shouldn't be too much of a difference. Just depends if you want the back of the sub visible from the end of the couch / middle of the room.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there was a difference, would you hypothesize it be for better or worse?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can you not just slide it out another 6''? Looks like you have plenty of room behind the couch to do so and it would still be hidden between the couch and the wall. Turning it around would be fine too though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could definitely do that, but I'm afraid I would lose some bass response if I slide it out some because there is a huge opening there that goes to the kitchen... I figure the closer it is to the corner the better the bass for the couch... although I may be wrong.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can always try it and see how it sounds. It would take all of a few seconds to slide it a few inches out and hook it up. The ears usually don't lie. Might find that it sounds better.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
rotatating the sub should not make much of a difference. It could be better or worse, but odds are it will sound the same. I would definitely try to move it out a little as Samsung-guy suggested...again, it might be better or worse, but it is impossible to predict how the sub will act in your room, and you really need to try different things.

Good luck and have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts