AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have my projector setup, got my AV rack in place and my couches ... what kind of setup should I get for my speakers? To save a few bucks, I was thinking of getting bookshelfs for fronts, and bookshelfs for rears? Something like polk new monitor 35B's or T15's? What would be a good center to match them up with as well?

What kind of cables should I get to wire them up? Any sub recommendations under $200? and placement recommendations? Stands if I get bookshelves for the front? Or should I wall mount?

The room is 12x16 or so.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Is this a dedicated home theater?

What's you total speaker budget?

How many channels (5.1, 7.1, more)?

What are you using to drive the speakers (AVR, pre-pro/amp)?

What are you expectations from the system?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Don't waste your money on fancy cables. That will save you some $ and allow you to get better speakers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P  /t/1466758/specing-out-audio-in-a-ht-room#post_23165273

Is this a dedicated home theater?

What's you total speaker budget?

How many channels (5.1, 7.1, more)?

What are you using to drive the speakers (AVR, pre-pro/amp)?

What are you expectations from the system?

I have a 5.1 receiver already .. looking for 5.1. speaker budget around $400~ ... 90% movie/tv viewing..expectations are to fill the room I guess, I have never had a decent HT setup, I am 'used' to TV speakers ... just bought a house, coming from a condo where I didn't want to annoy the neighbors with a nice sound setup, haha.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
What receiver?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver

I just picked up 2 polk 65T's off newegg for $129 ... now I just need a center and sub ... would a klipsch RW-12D compliment well with these, or is that too hard hitting?

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Too hard hitting...? No such thing.

The RW-12D is well known here on AVS as the best, sub $300, entry level sub around. I say go for it!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Get the Polk Monitor 25C or 15C to match your towers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P  /t/1466758/specing-out-audio-in-a-ht-room#post_23167633

Too hard hitting...? No such thing.

The RW-12D is well known here on AVS as the best, sub $300, entry level sub around. I say go for it!

anything worthwhile around $150-$200?

Thanks for the center recommendations, i'll pick up a 15C or 25C depending on price and what I can find! any bookshelves for the rear for my surround?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio  /t/1466758/specing-out-audio-in-a-ht-room#post_23167972

BIC F12 (maybe it's F2) and Polk PSW505 are the usual sub recommendations for that price point.

199 currently, i'll splurge for the klipshche @ 279!

are there huge differences in 15c vs 25c in audio performance?

I think I will go with the 15C, just because it is 5 1/4 inch, just like my 65T's.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
The general consensus is to get the best center channel you can afford because it is the most active channel in a home theater setup and handles some of the most important information - dialogue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually need to get 2 ... one for my basement one for my upstairs TV, so I am going to save the $200 and grab the 15C and see how it fairs..if it sucks i'll upgrade to 25C's. so to recap, I just picked up:

4 65T's, 2 35Bs, 2 15C's, 1 klipsh RW-12D

2 65T's for both rooms, the one pair of 35B's for surround in the basement, centers for both rooms, and the sub for the basement ... if the upstairs needs a sub, i'll pick one up. I dont think so though, as it is mostly for TV viewing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio  /t/1466758/specing-out-audio-in-a-ht-room#post_23168609

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy the speakers.

Thanks, really looking forward to throwing them all in! My ears are going to be happy
. I haven't spent over 1k on gear at newegg in a while, haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts