AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to the htpc thing. i was thinking about building a 2nd pc anyways so i was thinking why not make it htpc capable? i would use it for dvd playback(maybe), tv capture, gaming(mame roms) and some 3d gamin,as well as media playback.

parts i have: sk-6 heatsink, 300 watt psu, 45 gig 7200 ibm drive(as soon as rma comes in), also have an old pioneer slot loading dvd drive.

here are the parts i was considering getting.

asus a7n266-vm board. this uses the nforce chipset and is micro atx. i have the abit n7v133r in my main pc and i like the chipset. i want to use the onboard sound, but it doesn't seem to come with a digital output, i have seen several others have built digital ouput addons for their nforces. i was also wondering wher you could get the pinout for it and if anyone knows if the vm model even has the pins for it. i would actually plan on wireing it to a daughter card that came with my soyo dragon to hopefully get optical output as well as coaxil. any ideas on this would be appreciated, if not i guess i would consider the fortismo 2 sound card.

m/b cost 75

ati 8500dv i would like to use this card not only becuase of the decent tv-out of the card but because of the tv-tuner capture abilities, remote, and decent 3d-speed. although i have a packard bell media reciever i would think this remote would be better and hopefully i would be able to use the digital vcr features from the couch pretty easily. any thoughts on this?

cost 160

256 mb ram...guess this would be ok for using xp...

cost 40

duron 1ghz i hopefully plan on running it on a 133 bus to imporve memory performance....i might have to lower the multiplier to get it to run this fast(if the board supports adjustment )and stay cool although i would think the sk-6 should do ok even with a slower fan. would this chip be fast enough for recording tv? i assume it should do decent for gamin due to the higher memory bandwidth and decent video. not to mention it i cheap

cost 40

as for case i am not sure...either the cheapest micro atx or i might build my own. now most micro atx cases come with a 145 watt supply? would this be able to power this system?..i was thinking it might not. would an lcd screen on this computer be worthwile as well?

i think that is about it sorry i made this so long...any advice is appreciatd

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I went with an Abit board with the same specs as your Asus one. The digital connector varies widely...I'm one of the people that needed to make a custom cable for mine. Easiest way to figure out if it has the header on the motherboard is to download the manual from Asus.

For the case, I got one from direct Yeong Yang. They sold a nice, black mATX with 230W PSU.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.