AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I need to purchase a new computer and would like to move forward toward a HTPC but don't understand quite all the lingo what is involved. I know their is quite a bit of software involved plus hardware, trying to weed out some of the pit-falls.

Looking to purchase a PC and was waiting for the ATI 8500 card, seems like video card is the key. If I purchase a PC with a DVD player and purchase like WINDVD software does it play in progressive scan mode or do you need a special DVD player? Also looking at purchasing DV Camcorder to record my kids sports on to either DVD or CD. Most likely will purchase the DVD-RW later when I figure those out with the software. RPTV or LCD projector is still undecided and most likely wont happen until next years budget, any restrictions on using RPTV? Any specs emailed to me would be a plus.

[email protected]

Thanks for your help

I have Dish Network and cable internet access and my ultimate goal is to watch EDTV or HDTV

·
Registered
250 Posts
Specs are kinda hard to publish because there are any number of ways to mix and match components. Here is a really good list of recommended components to choose from:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=best+of+class

As for the specific questions:

Pretty much any CD-ROM drive can give you a progressive output as long as you have the right software (covered in the above thread).

The video card IS key, and the component list above gives several good suggestions (you're on the right track with the Radeon).

The only restriction on the RPTV is that it is HDTV compatible. Check the inputs - if you're going to use an HTPC, it's much easier if you have a VGA input so you don't have to bother with conversion or special cables to accomodate an RGBHV or component input.

Note: This all assumes you want to build the ting yourself. If you want help, check out the AVS Store, Digital Connection, or the guy who replied before me :)

Good luck!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.