AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With these future discs coming out,does anyone know what size each format will be on each side. Will there be room for Dolby TrueHD and PCM/DTS MA in the same package or will our future audio suffer just to make things convenient for Warner. Thanks.

·
Banned
515 Posts
This has already been covered if you search. Allegedly, WB is claiming that they can do double sided in both formats (i.e. 30GB for HD DVD and 50GB for BR) on the same disc. Personally, given the alleged difficulty of manufacturing BD50 right now and the technical hurdles inherent in a new process I think there is not a sliver of a prayer this thing makes it out in 2H 07. Besides, even if they do pull it off, they're gonna bend us over on pricing. I thought nothing could be crappier than HD DVD/DVD combo discs and paying more for the same product; WB has proven me wrong.

TotalHD by itself will kill HD optical - you aren't going to get people to pay over $30 for something they can get for less than $20 on DVD.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
the format is a one sided BD and one sided DVD/HD DVD. at this stage it means SL or DL if the BD ?DVD and HD DVD specs don't change in theory it can be

B x D x H

1 x 1 x 0

1 x 0 x 1

1 x 2 x 0

1 x 1 x 1

1 x 0 x 2 -- A

2 x 1 x 0

2 x 0 x 1

2 x 2 x 0

2 x 1 x 1

2 x 0 x 2 -- B

my guess A and B will be the most used choices. (i.e. SL BD DL HD DVD and DL both) the rest don't make sense. SL DVD and SL HD DVD are not really usable. for a movie.

On the other hand if BD adds 4L or HD DVD 3L then that would also be possible with the combo.

To understand the combo you must understand each format.

All the data on a BD is in the top .1 mm of the disk, if you have 1L, 2L, 4L or 8L it will be in the top .1mm of the disk (going from .09 to .1) for DVD and HD DVD all the information is in the middle or at around .6mm. On tradition DVD (and on HD DVD today) one layer was just above the. .6mm and one just below. That way the disk could be build in 1/2s (two 1/2 disks .6mm thick are created one with the data layer at the bottom and one at the top that are glued together.

with these disks you get 1 disk that is .6mm, one that is .5mm, glued together you get a 1.1mm disk then that disk can be used as a blank to produce the BD layer on the other side

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
TotalHD is about physically gluing BD and HDDVD together. Sure each side has to be pressed on thinner media before the gluing stage, but this is not exactly rocket science.

There's nothing innovative about this. One of the sides can even be CD and it would still work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.