AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved into our current home 7-18. It was new construction, I started service with Spectrum and had no issue getting a cable card, a year later I got a second.

Because of work we are selling and moving about 30 miles away. I called to transfer the service today and they said that cable card service is not available
in the new home, which is also a new build. I got the guy to admit that there is no technical limitation but that they are simply refusing to offer this service.

I filed a complaint with the FCC.

I like using CC because I watch everything through Emby. THe DVR is my PC, I keep the recordings, I can cut all the commercials, and I can watch TV on any device
that can connect to Emby.

Assuming I have to go elsewhere (not interested in renting STB's) anyone have any recommendations? I am currently testing YouTubeTV and like it so far.

I want something that has the ability to record, and that has local channels.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I moved into our current home 7-18. It was new construction, I started service with Spectrum and had no issue getting a cable card, a year later I got a second.

Because of work we are selling and moving about 30 miles away. I called to transfer the service today and they said that cable card service is not available
in the new home, which is also a new build. I got the guy to admit that there is no technical limitation but that they are simply refusing to offer this service.

I like using CC because I watch everything through Emby. THe DVR is my PC, I keep the recordings, I can cut all the commercials, and I can watch TV on any device
that can connect to Emby.

Assuming I have to go elsewhere (not interested in renting STB's) anyone have any recommendations? I am currently testing YouTubeTV and like it so far.

I want something that has the ability to record, and that has local channels.

I have been using YTTV for two years now and they are great. Assuming YTTV offers locals in the area you’re moving to they are a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been using YTTV for two years now and they are great. Assuming YTTV offers locals in the area you’re moving to they are a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah they do offer locals. So far so good, liking what I see.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I just went through a similar experience with Spectrum back in Nov/Dec although we switched back to them from Wow after 2 years, not due to a move. Previously a Brighthouse network.

A month of back-and-forth with CS, installers, etc. Finally went to the local office (3rd time) and they had a fresh batch of CCs in stock. Took 2 home, both paired just fine, and am currently using them in a Ceton ETH6 and HDHR Prime.

If you can get to a local office I highly recommend checking with them. It may take multiple trips to get a card that works on your new network if you happen to be in an area that Spectrum took over from another cable co. The local office here seems to know quite a bit more than any CS rep I spoke to on the phone (those were almost exclusively located in FL).

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went through a similar experience with Spectrum back in Nov/Dec although we switched back to them from Wow after 2 years, not due to a move. Previously a Brighthouse network.

A month of back-and-forth with CS, installers, etc. Finally went to the local office (3rd time) and they had a fresh batch of CCs in stock. Took 2 home, both paired just fine, and am currently using them in a Ceton ETH6 and HDHR Prime.

If you can get to a local office I highly recommend checking with them. It may take multiple trips to get a card that works on your new network if you happen to be in an area that Spectrum took over from another cable co. The local office here seems to know quite a bit more than any CS rep I spoke to on the phone (those were almost exclusively located in FL).
For now I transferred over just the internet service. I have the gear and see no reason why it wouldn't work. I did have an issue getting my hands on the CC's the first time, they had to order them in.

But thats a good idea when I take the stuff back to the store I could try to get the rep to keep them. I hate to hand back everything and wait for them to find other gear. The TA's seem to be DOA pretty often.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Good for you! And thank you! I hate how the industry just kinda stiffed us over Cable Card. Having said that, how about the Spectrum App? That's what I'm thinking to switch to in order to dump DIRECTOUTOFMYWALLET and their $130 bill. It does need a Roku TV or recent Samsung model if you want no external box.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good for you! And thank you! I hate how the industry just kinda stiffed us over Cable Card. Having said that, how about the Spectrum App? That's what I'm thinking to switch to in order to dump DIRECTOUTOFMYWALLET and their $130 bill. It does need a Roku TV or recent Samsung model if you want no external box.

I tried it out and really didn't like it. Plus I'd like the option to record, and hopefully skip commercials.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts