AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that X360 will now have standard USB ports, what are the chances that Bizarre, Namco, and other racing game developers will include not only force feedback support, but force feedback support FOR PC FF WHEELS?

To the hardcore steering wheel users out there....if Microsoft forces racing game devs to lock out force feedback compatibility with PC force feedback steering wheels, are you going to just sit there and NOT be pissed off? Are you going to re-buy an FF wheel that Microsoft develops that works only with the X360, one is actually inferior to Logitech's Driving Force Pro wheel? Are you NOT gonna be pissed off at M$ for making you buy their own FF wheel, while you already have one sitting right there on the shelf but can't use it due to M$'s money-hungry-grubby little hands and strong arm tactic by forcing the devs to lockout PC FF wheel support?

I for one, will be severely pissed off if we, as the consumer, who already paid some $500 for the console and a couple games, are forced to dole out even more cash to M$ for another FF wheel. Granted, I am glad that PGR3(and hopefully RR6) will support true FF, but to not be able to use our existing PC FF wheels will be VERY dissapointing! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
359 Posts
zero chance. MS said that 3rd party peripherals have to go through them first and obtain a special code that will enable them to work on the 360. maybe future PC wheels that are developed for the 360 too, but not existing ones.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdot23
zero chance. MS said that 3rd party peripherals have to go through them first and obtain a special code that will enable them to work on the 360.

that's ********. Link?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Yup. Keyed peripherals. I can see the reasoning and its sound.

Anyone irked by it, please send a THANK YOU to the purchases of KB/Mouse adapters for the XBox.

Of course this means I cannot use my $150 Fantec Wheel either (With the PC/USB adapter) but oh well.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It sure is a kick in the teeth. New price to get up and running with PGR3 at launch, ~$600.00+. That's assuming a $140 proprietary wheel, which might even be a low guess...

Maybe I will just buy an R520 and stick with rfactor....

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm sure that after a the xbox360 has been out for a month or two there will be a way to mod it to make it work.

·
Registered
860 Posts

FrankJ.Cone said:
Anyone irked by it, please send a THANK YOU to the purchases of KB/Mouse adapters for the XBox.

QUOTE]

Perhaps, I also think that making more money on peripheral licences might have something to do with it too. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher
Maybe I will just buy an R520 and stick with rfactor....
I like your thinking man :)

The more I read about rFactor, and the more that comes out about the X360, the less attracted I am to PGR3. rFactor is going to simply ROCK! In fact, I think I'll start a new thread about it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gushy
I'm sure that after a the xbox360 has been out for a month or two there will be a way to mod it to make it work.
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that :D

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone
Yup. Keyed peripherals. I can see the reasoning and its sound.

Of course this means I cannot use my $150 Fantec Wheel either (With the PC/USB adapter) but oh well.
You're welcome.

I'm damn glad I can finally enjoy games like Halo and Halo 2 on the Xbox, but don't blame KBM users for Microsofts obstinance and greed.

But give it time. Adapters and mods will find there way to the market place.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer
You're welcome.

I'm damn glad I can finally enjoy games like Halo and Halo 2 on the Xbox, but don't blame KBM users for Microsofts obstinance and greed.

But give it time. Adapters and mods will find there way to the market place.
I'm not so sure. With this last generation it took nearly the entire life cycle for anyone to figure it out even without any certification hurdles.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
One thing that I think a lot of people fail to understand or sympathize with, because their wallets are affected, is that the way console finances work.

Since Console manufacturers know that if they go above a certain price point their console will not get market penetration they actually have to sell the console cheaper than it costs to make hoping to make up for it in the form of game liscensing. This is why they generally ask you to buy all new accessories. There HAS to be a way to make up lost ground for the hardware. In the case of 360 they are trying to do this every which way they can.

I am personally dissapointed I cannot use my old xbox controllers and in some cases I can't just plug a USB operated device in and have it start working but I understand that consoles are proprietary devices and not actual PC's.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
One thing that I think a lot of people fail to understand or sympathize with, because their wallets are affected, is that the way console finances work.

Since Console manufacturers know that if they go above a certain price point their console will not get market penetration they actually have to sell the console cheaper than it costs to make hoping to make up for it in the form of game liscensing. This is why they generally ask you to buy all new accessories. There HAS to be a way to make up lost ground for the hardware. In the case of 360 they are trying to do this every which way they can.

I am personally dissapointed I cannot use my old xbox controllers and in some cases I can't just plug a USB operated device in and have it start working but I understand that consoles are proprietary devices and not actual PC's.
I think people know about console manufacturers losing money on the hardware, the problem is that no one is going to "sympathize" with a company who has more money than god :p I finally did the math after all the price discussions and I came up with this:

console, extra wireless pad, 1 recharge kit, 2 games = $631.30 (after tax)

If I was starting from $0 and I had to pull this out of my pocket on launch day, I would definitely just buy 1 game and ditch the extra pad. Luckily I knew this gen would not be cheap so I've been pumping credit into my EBgames account since May and I'm up to $465 right now.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
Maybe sympathize with is the wrong word but even a super rich company doesn't give things away.
I know what you meant, I was just having fun. Now we need to get a solid launch date. After all of these announcements it's hard not to be impatient. I want my HD games NOW. I'm still banking on an early November launch as speculated, and even that seems far away.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Kind of doubt anyone will have an answer to this (but who knows, maybe a MS Xbox rep reads these forums?) but anyone know if a gated shifter (like the old PC Act Labs RS/GPL Shifter) is being developed for the 360?

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsguy
I know what you meant, I was just having fun. Now we need to get a solid launch date. After all of these announcements it's hard not to be impatient. I want my HD games NOW. I'm still banking on an early November launch as speculated, and even that seems far away.
I was kind of hoping for an even earlier launch date.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.