AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Technics SL-BD1 turntable from ebay. It is in nice enough condition for me, I'm a student and as of now the only vinyl I have has come from thrift stores, half of it having been bought for novelty's sake.

My problem is that when it's running, the speed fluctuates, not a whole lot, but enough to be noticeable. It sounds like it's happening once every rotation or something of the sort. It happens at a regular interval and is very frustrating. I pulled the platter off and reseated the belt as best I could. I say this because I'm not sure how exactly it is supposed to be attached, I have it running around the motor spindle and then around the base of the platter, as this is the only way I could find to attach it. The problem still persists. I have no qualms about replacing the belt, but I would appreciate some insight before I do that.

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
What condition was the belt in? Also, I'm assuming there's also a bearing there that needs lubrication. You should examine it.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Ahh this takes me back to the good old days.

Two issues here. First, remove the platter and clean the center hole thoroughly will denatured alcohol on a Qtip. There should be no debris or hardened grease that remains inside the hole.

DO NOT lube this surface. These are machined so well as to not need lube. If you feel you must, use a thin white lithium grease and just a dot.

Before replacing the platter, thoroughly clean the spindle and the seating surface especially.

Next wipe down the outside of the platter (belt slippage occurs here) and the pulley on the motor shaft.

The belt may also need replacing as they fatigue with age. Replacement belts are still available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.