AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have the green light to spend some dough on upgrades and this would be my first steps in a system. So I want to build for the future. Now I already decided to spend it on a receiver and speakers & not a tv. So far in my research I have found the following setup in my price range:

Onkyo 706

Paradigm Mini Monitors Fronts

Paradigm cc190 Center

I am open to any suggestions on the above, so have at it. One suggestion has been the Onkyo 606 and spend more on center speaker, cc290. I will be adding sides and rears later as well as a new TV or possibly projector 1080p(Tax Return and Bonus contingent).

Thanks to All!

Dedicated Media Room approx 12x15

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I would put as much as I could afford into the speakers, and don't skimp on the center channel - it carries about 90% of what you hear on soundtracks. And don't forget the sub - I highly recommend SVS subs. I prefer Harman Kardon receivers, but if you like Onkyo I suggest you make sure the model you get has full preouts in case you decide to add a separate power amplifier.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good choice on Paradigm. I have a set from 1992 that are still going strong. Paradigm consistently gets top marks from publications like "Stereophile".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/15433092

I would put as much as I could afford into the speakers, and don't skimp on the center channel - it carries about 90% of what you hear on soundtracks.

This might qualify as a thread jack, but I don't think a center is that crucial - probably because I've never scratched up the coin to buy one. I've been very happy with my 4.1 system and would rather (and did) spend the money on a sub and/or surrounds than a center.

With "only" $1200 to spend, I'd prioritize: fronts, receiver, sub, surrounds, then center. I went with surrounds first, but if I had it to do again I'd go with the subwoofer first. The sub really helps out on music and adds that deep *boom* and kick to movies. A good set of fronts will last through several iterations of receiver upgrades.

Quote:
And don't forget the sub - I highly recommend SVS subs.

For a room that size, the Outlaw LFM-1 Compact ($400) subwoofer would be a good choice, too. (I also have one of these.)

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmcompact.html

Unpacking photos:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...62060502jpnnsY

It's a nice looking and sounding piece of gear.

Quote:
I prefer Harman Kardon receivers, but if you like Onkyo I suggest you make sure the model you get has full preouts in case you decide to add a separate power amplifier.

For a room that size - especially with a powered sub - I wouldn't worry too much about the power rating on the receiver. Anything 50Wpc or higher should be plenty strong enough to push you out of the room. Buy for the quality, connections and processing you need/want.

(More thread jack.)

I don't understand the necessity of pre-outs. My impression is that separates cost much more than receivers - due to economies of scale, etc. Is keeping your amps stable while upgrading the processing section really that much better than getting a whole new processor and amps (as you get with a receiver) each upgrade cycle? My experience has been that audio formats and processing power change every few years - see the rise of TrueHD and Audyssey. If one starts with a receiver, there'll never be a time when upgrading the amp section would be a better choice than upgrading the processing side to catch up with the latest tech there. I suppose one COULD buy a new processor and use the old receiver's amp section. But the processor side will always go out of date before the amp side, and receivers have pretty decent amps in them, don't they?

And then there's the more mundane concerns like power-cords, space, interconnect costs, and other logistical things.

Especially for a person just starting out, I don't see the need to "make sure" the receiver has pre-outs.

The Onkyo 706 is a pretty honkin' receiver to start out with. Especially if you're not going to have surrounds or a subwoofer. What's your timeline for filling all the other channels? 6 months? A year? If it's more than a year, I'd contend that processor tech will move on by then and you could pick up a more capable receiver for less money - or the 706 for significantly less.

If you're not going to fill all the output channels quickly, I wouldn't pay to have them sitting there. If there's other features you need from the 706 like number of HDMI inputs, then fine. But that beast is going to be way overkill for your room.

If it were my $1200 here's a suggested system:

$450 - Paradigm mini Monitors

$400 - Outlaw LFM-1 Compact

$300 - Denon 589 or 689 - but there are other good choices.

$150-200 speaker stands, shipping, taxes, cables, misc.

- Jasen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.