AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm eagerly awaiting my new JVC 52G786 and really want to take advantage of the capabilities of this set so I've ordered a new Dish HD+DVR stb and want to replace my old, non-progressive DVD player. I've always thought I would just get a good universal like the Denon 2910 and be done with it. Denon's rep for video reproduction is very solid, (or so I thought before I read all the threads on MacroBlocking, which I didn't know existed and have no idea if it will show up on my display), and I've always enjoyed Denon's excellent audio playback. However, with BluRay/HD-DVD on the horizon and the hi-rez audio formats future in serious doubt, I'm beginning to wonder if I should pick up a relatively inexpensive DVD player (~$350) and use it as stop-gap until the hi-def dvd war claims a winner.

The units I'm considering are the Cambridge Audio 540D, Denon 1920, or possibly the Panny S77. All have DVD-A capability, but I really consider that a bonus more than a priority. The Cambridge has been getting smoking reviews (What Video?, TAS) but only does 480p while both the Denon and Panny upconvert/scale to 780p, which is the JVC's native resolution. Should I be worried about that at all? Will the JVC try to upconvert the 480p signal to 780p anyway? Should I just get the 2910 and be done with it?

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Wait to see the reviews of the 1920. It may be a good compromise (unlike the others you mention, it plays both DVD-A and SACD). I have the 3910 and do not regret it (it'll be a keeper for audio and for my current 480i DVD collection even after buying a true HD player in a few years). I predict it will be a few years before the format war is over and HD DVDs are widely available for most movies (at first, they'll probably just be available for new releases, not older classics).

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I agree with BillP to a point. I think the war will pan out by this time next year. However, with the pics and discussion about the new Pioneer DV79, I wonder if many other companies will back off and release one more standard def player in their high end range. I suppose it's possible to keep producing hardware for both standard and HD, but Pio bailed on CRT over a year ago, so the DV79 was an indicator for me.

Seems like we've been given notice of HD titles in the hundreds ready by mid 4th quarter, and displays are here, but little info on the players (other than protos at CES, etc)

It's like `OK, here's your shiney new 1080P TV and we've got these great movies we can print for the TV, but we have no idea when you'll be able to watch them - how bout' you just multiply your 480 and we'll get back to ya' when we figure out who get's all the money' .......nice!

I purchased a Pany S97 with the same thought - something to tide me over. Now I wonder if I'll go back to a high end SD player one more time.

E

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. The 1920 could indeed be the right one, although I'm a bit concerned by the lesser video and audio dacs they spec'd for the model. I suppose I could simply go optical and bypass on the audio dacs if need be, but getting around the Faroudja processor won't be so easy. The TAS review opined the Cambridge player's video smoked the 1910, but didn't have 1920 for comparison. You may be right, I might just have to wait for some reviews first.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Just want to point out that many titles promised on HD-DVD this year have been canceled. Paramount now claims zero out this year, other studios have reduced the number they intended to ship. 2006 will be the year of starting HD on DVD, not 2005. By this time next year, we'll be lucky to have hardware choices, let alone the war be over.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Market research is apparently suggesting that uptake will be pretty poor, which in turn will cause slow release of HD movies. Toshiba's announcement that you will have to have an HDMI input on your display to get HD resolution will only slow down the uptake. I do not think this new format will be skyrocketing in the next few years, so it does make sense to get a good upscaling player now, particularly if you have an extensive 480i DVD collection.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the record, I think you guys are absolutely right. It could be two years before:

1) A winner is declared in the format war

2) Equipment prices come down to reality

3) There's enough software to make it worth the investment

With this in mind, I'm wondering if I should consider the 2910 over the 1920? A little more research has ruled out the Cambridge as it appears there are far too many QC issues with that unit. I'm actually more of an audiophile than a videophile but now that I received the JVC, I'm really trying to maximize the picture as much as possible.

Again, I appeciate the input.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
The 1920 vs. the 2910 is a hard call right now since the 1920 is so new. Initial reports are that the 1920 is much better than the 1910, with very good audio (including SACD and DVD-A), such that you might not gain much going to the 2910. As I wrote above, I consider my investment in the 3910 to be worth it for many years to come, both for top audio and top video (for 480i DVDs), even after getting an HD player down the road. There are a few threads on the 1920, so check them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.