AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who didn't know (or may have forgotten), Spider-Man premieres tonight on HBO-HD in 1080i. I thought the DVD transfer was pretty disappointing, and hope this presentation sets the bar for HBO-HD, which seems to be continually improving. (No, I didn't see 'Scooby Doo' which got rave posts in another thread, because you've got to draw a line in the sand somewhere).:)

Palladin

No matter where you go, there you are

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I'm definitely going to try to get this one on tape. Hopefully it'll be pretty good looking and in 5.1. Of course it won't be OAR, but that's why we love HBO.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
Of course it won't be OAR, but that's why we love HBO.
Dean,

Why so sure about this? Fifth Element and a few others I have seen on HBO-HD have been OAR, although I'm not even sure I remember what the OAR for this film was.

Palladin

·
Registered
485 Posts
16:9 OAR

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
I'm definitely going to try to get this one on tape. Hopefully it'll be pretty good looking and in 5.1. Of course it won't be OAR, but that's why we love HBO.
Spiderman was 1.85:1 in most theaters if I remember correctly BUT it was also shown at 1.33:1 in the IMAX.

I believe it was shot in super 35mm which means it had different mattes for the different productions.

It is possible that 16:9 will give the best of both worlds.

Can't jump down HBO's throat on this one ... yet.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
If it was originally 1.85, then I wouldn't stress out about it much if it's just opening up the matte to 1.78. I'd thought I remembered it being 2.35, but I must have mis-remembered.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Has anyone noticed that HBO may be changing their ways? Ive had HBO HD for sometime now, and started to notice different films in different aspect ratios here lately. Something I never saw a few months ago...

Do you think they are starting to show things at OAR now?

MovieMan

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't know abot anyone else, but while the HBO-HD presentation was an improvement over the DVD, I was disappointed as IMO, the picture looked soft.

Palladin

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I was variable. Some real good scenes, some not so good. Overall pretty good. I definitely noticed that the digital special effects look much more obvious on HD than in the theater. I take this as us getting a better presentation at home than in even a good theater.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Although I did not get to watch the entire movie, the parts I saw of Spiderman were visually stunning. I used the HDCP DVI output on the Samsung Sat/Receiver connected to a Marantz S2 HDCP DVI input projected on a 110" FireHawk screen.

Extremely film-like (no softness to the scenes I viewed).

My only gripe was the DD Stereo surround sound that switched to 5.1 DD during the movie.

Paul

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
I definitely noticed that the digital special effects look much more obvious on HD than in the theater
Definitely. The digitally generated images of Spiderman were often extremely obvious in the HD presentation.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
I thought the overal PQ of this movie in HD was quite good. I'd rank it somewhere in the middle as far as the various HD movies I've watched on HBO. Very enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I thought Spiderman looked very good. Wasn't soft at all. All the grain you saw on the DVD was gone in the HD-HBO transfer too. Looked more 3 dimensional. I watched the first 15 minutes of Scooby Doo last night and all I can say is Zoinks!!! That picture was excellent!! Very sharp, detailed, and colorful. This is one of the best HD transfers I have seen.

I think its important when people talk about things they watched and the picture quality to say what their source and display is. Especially since this topic is in the Digital projectors Forum.

I watched it on a Marantz VPS1 DLP projector on a 106" 16x9 1.0 gain screen with a RCA-DTC100 HD Sat Receiver using VGA.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.