AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I go ahead and get this thread started now :D . I am actually quite excited to see this one in HD (Kirsten Dunst) and hoping for a little oar action.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Considering the fact that Spiderman is 1:85, I doubt OAR is going to be a concern... unless someone forgets to pop in the HD tape again.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Its gonna be a real [email protected]@@ OAR will be no concern so its gonna be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am gonna be webbed to my chair.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah im gonna try and check out a few scenes of glad to make a few comparisions with Hbo's version

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I've got a tape running right now. I watched just a bit of the titles at the beginning and it looked pretty good, so I think it's going to be a good one to have gotten. I'm going to watch it tonight and see how the recording came out (only my second one with the new AVX software.)

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
So far Spiderman is making Gladiator look pretty bad... The detail is soo much better on spiderman than Gladiator. Im not impressed with Gladiator on ABC at all (Its very soft compared to HBO's version).

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Spiderman looks awesome. Just finished watching the Times Square scene and it was great.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
WOW, That movie was very impressive.... I actually got chills from the last scene because I turned the volume up on my system way up and it was prefect.... PQ was amazing as well.

·
Registered
18,928 Posts
Cool stuff, definately one of HBO's better HD transfers. Small amount of grain, made the DVD look really bad, but then again, the DVD transfer is only fair-good anyways.

I did notice a bit of pixelation during the fight scene in the burning building, especially during one really fast transition, when Spidey was trying to avoid the spinning blades- otherwise it was excellent.

Now if I only had a way of saving these things...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Definitely Top 5 HBO action. If anyone missed this check it out the next time around!!! PQ and sound A+ in my book.....

·
Registered
936 Posts
Great Picture, blew Gladiator away. But I switched over to the MLS on HDNet and that blew spiderman away. Spiderman had a little bit more action though. :D

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I just watched my recording and it was great. A few recording glitches where were a bummer, but they were short. The image quality was great and the sound is excellent (I assume not different than the DVD soundtrack.) It's a good one to have gotten on tape.

·
Super Moderator
18,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
The detail is soo much better on spiderman than Gladiator.
Interesting. For me the ever-so-slight PQ edge went to Gladiator.

Doc

Zenith DTV1080

Sony 57HW40

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
For me, Gladiator wasn't even close to the pic quality of Spiderman. Also, my HBO HD recording of Gladiator is noticeably more detailed than the ABC broadcast (and yes, my display does 720p native).

·
Super Moderator
18,527 Posts
Gotta be some local differences, then. Our local ABC affiliate (which upconverts to 1080i, FWIW) had a picture that was extremely crisp. Couldn't see the actors pores on Spidey (well, not vividly). You could see that and more with Gladiator. Strangely enough, when doing sports, our ABC affiliate (which runs a subchannel) pales in comparison to the local NBC affiliate (no sub) and/or HDNet. Can't wait for the day they all get the bugs worked out...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have to agree the spider-man pq was top5 so far on HBO. The glad on abc look ok but was a little on the dark side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought Spiderman pq was much better than Gladiator also. I had a couple of friends over when Spiderman came on and they were amazed. Especially on the close-ups. Of course I had to show them PBS to really "WOW" them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.