AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else pick up this fantastic animated film this week?

That being said, has anyone else noticed that the image outputted isn't full screen? It's pretty much 'underscanned', i.e. although being "optimized for 16:9" it doesn't fit the frame of my 16:9 set and actually has space around the edges--putting it in any of the display's aspect ratios does not correct this (I have to re-size the image to fit the screen).

Since I've never seen this before on a collection of over 300 DVDs, can anyone explain to me what the problem might be?

Gearin question:

42" Panasonic Plasma HD

Panasonic RP-82 DVD Player

·
Registered
977 Posts
ECM,

There's nothing wrong with your set-up. The aspect ratio of Spirited Away is 2.0:1 Based on that proportion you should have black bars on your screen.

Howie

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Now I feel better :)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
what ecm means is that that there are black bars on all four sides of the screen. if the ar was 2.0, there would be black bars on the top and bottom only if the transfer was done correctly on a 16:9 screen. It does appear the format was incorrectly done.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
You should have black bars at the top and bottom, although they won't be very big.

If you have black bars at the left and right, you have a problem.

·
Registered
28,092 Posts
There is no problem. The movie's aspect ratio is 1.85:1, however Disney has transferred it to disc with windowboxing to ensure that no picture information gets cut off the sides of the screen due to overscan. The Blade Runner DVD from Warner Bros. is transferred the same way.

It's a bit of overkill the way they did it, but there is nothing wrong with your disc or DVD player.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
You should have black bars at the top and bottom, although they won't be very big.

If you have black bars at the left and right, you have a problem.
Well, then if it's letterboxed anamorphic, there may be black bars all around. I'll see when I play my copy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.