AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you recommend SPIRITED AWAY? What I saw of PRINCESS MONONOKE did not impress or grab me. I did like GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES. I like good animation, as long as the story is good, too. IRON GIANT is great. TITAN A.E. has a so-so story, but the animation was good enough to make up for it, imo. Most reviewers seem to be ecstatic about SPIRITED AWAY, with a few detractors saying the story just isn't that great. I hear the "red tint" is not an issue with this new U.S. release. Please include your comments and "why" re: yea or nay. Thanks!

·
Registered
988 Posts
A big YAE!

I liked this better than Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, and Iron Giant.

This is kind of a twisted Japanese Alice in Wonderland story. Animation is just fantastic (but not like Toy Story, Monsters Inc., or Shrek --this is traditional hand-drawn Anime). 16:9, DD 5.1, and a nice transfer.

I've seen lots of Anime, and this is one of the best. I also recommend Ghost in the Shell, Blood: The Last Vampire, Akira and Metropolis.

Now I'm going to use my $2 coupon to go out and get Kiki...

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Lemme throw my NAY in there. I was bored with it. My wife was bored. I had a lot of problems with some of the characters and the mixture of visual styles. It also had too many plot cliches. We have seen and enjoyed Mononoke among other anime. There's another thread on this, lots of comments, have a look for it.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I would say Yea. It's not the story so much as the incredible world it creates, like Alice Through the Looking Glass on Fugu. The combination of intensely observed reality and utterly strange creatures, and these hypnotic blue skies and tranquil landscapes out of some Maxfield Parrish shared memory, and the glimpses of conventional reality in the distance from the little girl's imprisonment. It's like a dream, one of the most dreamlike of all films.

I wonder what children think about this movie. Most of the praise I have seen for it comes from adults. I suspect it was made more for adults than for children. I think it is one of the greatest cartoons I have ever seen.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
big big big big YAYYYYYAY!!!!!!

wonderful animation and storytelling. one of my all time favorites for animation...and it only gets better on later viewings. this movie will take you on a journey and back! beautiful background paintings, wonderful animation, (characters are full of life)a good example of why Miyazaki is considered one of the best animation directors by those who've seen his work!(if only more people would) i could go on and on.....

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
I suspect it was made more for adults than for children.
Miyazaki said he made the movie because he thought that girls around the ages of 10-15 didn't have any good films made specifically for them.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
unless you have a pretty thorough understanding of the Japanese culture, alot of the events, attitudes, motivations, etc in this movie will strike you as arbitrary and nonsensical.

i've noticed the term Alice in Wonderland used a lot, and thats exactly what i thought the first time i saw it.

i have a friend though who is well versed in Japanese culture and he explained many things to me about this (unfortunately i've forgotten about them).

the fellow who reviewed this disc for the digital bits brings this up in his review- i'd point you over there for a more elaborate explination.

Disney is doing a huge disservice, imo to make this a 'special' 2 disc set and not include a commentary, or any materials anywhere that addresses the culture specific points in this movie.

for that reason, its really hard to reccommend, because without this knowledge it really is just 'a nonsensical fantasy'.

hopefully some fan has put out a list of these points on the web that can be downloaded and printed out to use as a reference.

otherwise, it is a very interesting and unique film.

i also thought the English voice talent was excellant.

i'm sure there are many people who will quibble with the technical translation, but the voice acting couldn't have been better, imo.

i would give a Yea, but with the caveat that you need to scrounge around on the net to find out some information that will give you a better understanding and enhance/enable your appreciation of it.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I went out and bought all 3 of the new DVDs, Spirited away, Castle in the sky, and Kiki's, at Bestbuy, plus that free Mononoke disc with the purchase of all 3 discs at once.

I give a huge thumbs up to Spirited away, but take it with a grain of salt, as I am a long time anime fan.

As someone has already mentioned, the dubbing is outstanding (I usually detest dubbings). The video quality is almost flawless, and the story is just wonderful, reminds me of all those fantasies I had when I was a child.

I very highly recommend Spirited away, and the rest of Miyazaki's work (I am seriously contemplating to go out and buy a Miyazaki statue and stick it atop my DVD player to show my reverence for the master :)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If you buy or pricematch Spirited Away at Bestbuys for $17.99, open it in the store's service desk (ask for box cutter or scissors) before checkout, and use the $2 coupon on Castle in the Sky to bring the price down to $17.99. Do the same on to bring the price down to $17.99. You should be able to get the Princess Mononoke DVD for free too if you do this at Bestbuys. Thus, you can own all 4 of these reference anime DVD's for $54. Not a bad deal for new releases.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey
If you buy or pricematch Spirited Away at Bestbuys for $17.99, open it in the store's service desk (ask for box cutter or scissors) before checkout, and use the $2 coupon on Castle in the Sky to bring the price down to $17.99. Do the same on to bring the price down to $17.99. You should be able to get the Princess Mononoke DVD for free too if you do this at Bestbuys. Thus, you can own all 4 of these reference anime DVD's for $54. Not a bad deal for new releases.
Wal-Mart in Lewisville, TX, has all three for $14.88 this week. I haven't opened SPIRITED AWAY yet to see the coupon. $54 sounds good, but I may not like SA enough to buy them all.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
*sigh* I just didn't get it. I wanted to - I tried to. Everyone else I know who has seen it loved it... but I didn't.

- Rick

·
Registered
718 Posts
I am really mixed on this. The story was interesting but I found it toooo long. It seemed to really drag itself out and could've used a good editing of about 15-20 minutes IMO. This is particularly unusual because I felt that the movie strted rather abruptly without a lot of introduction of characters. I really enjoyed the picture quality and vibrant colors, as well as the animation itself. I also really enjoyed the soundtrack. Nothing specific that I can put my finger on, but just the overall music and background effects in general. I did, however, also find the childs voice a bit screechy and annoying at times.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darrel Johansen
A big YAE!

I liked this better than Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, and Iron Giant.

This is kind of a twisted Japanese Alice in Wonderland story. Animation is just fantastic (but not like Toy Story, Monsters Inc., or Shrek --this is traditional hand-drawn Anime). 16:9, DD 5.1, and a nice transfer.

I've seen lots of Anime, and this is one of the best. I also recommend Ghost in the Shell, Blood: The Last Vampire, Akira and Metropolis.

Now I'm going to use my $2 coupon to go out and get Kiki...
Blood is very good, but short with it's 45 minutes. I really like the music in this one and this movie can really destroy a sound system. The ending scene with the music and SFX are really good in 5.1 ;)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
My Walmart was $19.96. I guess they price DVDs depending on local competition.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey
My Walmart was $19.96. I guess they price DVDs depending on local competition.
Yep. It's a manager's choice, apparently. In Denton, Texas, it's $19.96 at Wal-Mart, marked down to $17.97 this week. Go south 12 miles to the Lewisville Wal-Mart, and all new DVDs are $14.88 ($16.00 total after tax) their week of release, because that's what the manager has decided to do for new DVDs.

·
Registered
715 Posts
In answer to the original question, I'd vote yes for anyone except small children who are very sensitive. A few scenes are a little intense. For an adult who has any love at all of animated movies, I heartily reccommend it. It's a beautiful, fascinating movie.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Well, Best Buy was out of Kiki, and I had my $2 coupon in hand ready to buy. Thanks to this forum, I drove over to Wal-Mart and they had all three for 14.88. I used my coupon from Spirited and got Castles and Kiki for a total of $30 after tax.

Thanks everyone. Hope people enjoy these.

My comments about Alice in Wonderland were made in the most positive sense only. For me the movie was a lot of fun, and I expect there's a lot to be learned about the Japanese culture that might put some of the images and materal in context --but you don't really need that added information to enjoy the movie. BTW, I agree, a commentary track that went over some of these things would be fascinating.

On my 10' screen, the images looked fine, but I was so engrossed in the movie, that I didn't put my HT PQ critical hat on.

I watched with subtitles and the original Japanese. I switched back and forth once or twice, and, with the exception of the actual dialog, the music and effects tracks seemed identical in both languages.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I really don't think there is that much that needs to be explained in terms of cultural specific contexts for Spririted away.

Native American cultures, and a lot of the other older cultures have the same sort of beliefs in spirits dwelling in inanimate objects, such as trees, grass, flowers, radish (remember that elevator scene :)

And almost every culture throughout the world has a concept of witch in one form or another.

I think that's about it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd give it a thumbs sideways. I thought the story was very thin and uninteresting - it just didn't go anywhere! It takes more than bizarre looking characters to keep me satisfied. On the positive side, the main charater was very likable. Also the picture quality was great and the animation was very good for the most part. My impression in the end was just neutral.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.