AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

I have a Marantz SR6003 Receiver and I used to calibrate Audio by using Auddesey; but I found that using an SPL is way better the results.

I don't have a real SPL; but I used a very good and accurate SPL for iPad made by Studio Six Digital. Also I found a Free SPL Version for iPhones; its not as accurate as the iPad but I performed test between both and it performs good. This one is named "Simple SPL Meter" and can be found in Apple Store.

Settings for iPad SPL MEter by S6D

Set to: Slow, Range 80db, C weighted

In settings set Trim to 7

When doing Speaker Calibration manually with your AVRs; use the SPL that reach the following values for each Speaker. For Subwoofer its a quite different way. I'll explain you later.

Left: 72.0dB (+-0.9db. Same range applies to all speakers)

Center: 73.5dB

Right 72.0dB

SR: 74dB

SL: 74dB

SW: 67-68dB. In this; take your SPL and put it 1 feet away from subwoofer and pointing flat to the center of the Sub; so probably you need to take the SPL in your hands to get it's higher or better yet get a stand. For iPads and iPhones make sure the mic is pointing forward the Sub. The mic in the iPad is near the headphone jack while on the iPhone 4 its near the charging slot.

I like to add 1.5dB for Center and 2.0dB for Surrounds; because it tends to get lower and I want to hear better the surrounds effects on movies. But if you want to set all speakers to a flat value then its ok.

For iPhone with "Simple SPL Meter" Application:

Set Offset to -12, Sampling Speed to: Slow, and Weighting to: C

Same ranges of 0.9db applies. Here its not as accurate; so measure each speaker by waiting 10-15 readings on the SPL then add or subtract decibels for each speaker using your remote.

L: 72db

C: 74db

R: 72db

SR: 75db

SL: 75db

SW: 65db

If you can see Sub using the iPhone application has -2dB compared to iPad because it's a different app. After I finished my calibration; I tested each speaker with both SPLs and I get nearly same values on both.

For Speaker Distance I measured it and set it up in my AVR. But anyway's I think you can set all to zero due that we are going to use the SPL for calibration.

Hope this helps; if anyone has any comments, ideas or suggestions of how to improve this; feel free to post it.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx /forum/post/19576716

For Speaker Distance I measured it and set it up in my AVR. But anyway's I think you can set all to zero due that we are going to use the SPL for calibration.

ummm... no, you cannot.... trim level setting and channel delays are two completely different things...

if i had to bet, the audyssey mic is at least as accurate, if not more accurate than the iphone/ipod app...

how did you perform a "test" if you don't have a "known good" to test against?

this thread should be titled "this is what i did, even though it's not correct"...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx /forum/post/19576716

Hope this helps; if anyone has any comments, ideas or suggestions of how to improve this; feel free to post it.

My suggestion is that you delete this thread. Your advice, while well intentioned, is misleading. An uncalibrated iPhone/iPod/iPad mic is not more accurate than a calibrated Audyssey mic. Your channel trim settings represent just your preference, not anyone else's preference, and certainly not reference level. Your subwoofer measurement technique is incorrect -- the measurement mic should remain at the listening position for each measurement. And your speaker distance measurement & theory is wrong -- you cannot measure acoustic delay w/ an SPL meter, nor w/ a tape measure, and you certainly should not just zero out your electronic distance measurements.

AJ

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanls for the info. The thing of why I move the "SPL" closer to the sub its because when I was doing measurements on the same position as other speakers the SPL Meter barely moves even if I add or substract 10dB.

About how did I perform the test? Well; Im a musician for years. I have a keen audio sense. Sub gain was set at 12 o' clock. The trim on the iPAd app was the default value. So I start with that and take my Left Main Speaker as Reference until reaches 72dB on the SPL; then take that as a base and start calibrating all other speakers.

You said its not as accurate as Auddysey. Probably you are correct. But me and my wife are the only one who listen music or see movies. We sat in the middle of the Sofa and my HT is just 10 feet away. For some reason I tested few Audyssey and the audio for movies does not sound as good as the calibration steps I did with the "SPL". I tried another Auddysey Mic I have from a Denon AVR and results were the same;. So mics are goods.

Even if this is wrong; I encourage anyone with an SPL or iPhone/Ipad and do a test with your AVRs and let me know how it performs.

If someone are not going to use Audysey or have an AVR without Auddysey; but an SPL; then whats the correct way to calibrate? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx /forum/post/19577170

The thing of why I move the "SPL" closer to the sub its because when I was doing measurements on the same position as other speakers the SPL Meter barely moves even if I add or substract 10dB.

You potentially have a bass null at your measurement position. That is precisely why you need Audyssey room correction and/or room treatments.

Quote:

About how did I perform the test? Well; Im a musician for years. I have a keen audio sense.

Irrelevant. You could have hearing loss from years of performing music. Regardless, you have a "keen audio sense" of what you like, not of what is accurate.

Quote:

For some reason I tested few Audyssey and the audio for movies does not sound as good as the calibration steps I did with the "SPL".

You are probably accustomed to the inaccurate response colorations of your system. Run Audyssey, and let your ears adjust over several days/weeks. You can always return to your manual settings. But, if you do, keep in mind that what you prefer is less accurate reproduction and should not be presented as a reference to anyone else.

Quote:

I tried another Auddysey Mic I have from a Denon AVR and results were the same;. So mics are goods.

You should not swap Audyssey mics. Each manufacturer may use a different mic, hence a different calibration file.

Quote:

Even if this is wrong; I encourage anyone with an SPL or iPhone/Ipad and do a test with your AVRs and let me know how it performs.

No, this is awful advice. Too many under informed users, like yourself, will read this and think that it is some sort of magic formula for calibration. Nothing could be further from the truth. Your ears, your room, your speakers have no relevance to anyone else.

Quote:

If someone are not going to use Audysey or have an AVR without Auddysey; but an SPL; then whats the correct way to calibrate? Thanks in advance.

Buy a calibrated measurement mic, and use one of the many acoustic measurement software suites that are available.

AJ

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:

You said its not as accurate as Auddysey. Probably you are correct. But me and my wife are the only one who listen music or see movies. We sat in the middle of the Sofa and my HT is just 10 feet away. For some reason I tested few Audyssey and the audio for movies does not sound as good as the calibration steps I did with the "SPL".

Just because you prefer it does not validate it as an accurate calibration. I have done dozens of Audyssey setups (as well as with other systems) and the Audyssey settings for level and delay are almost always dead-on correct and repeatable. You are, of course, entitled to enjoy your preferences.

Quote:

You can only calibrate approximate levels (not delays) with an SPL meter even if it is a reliable calibrated meter. Otherwise, you are guessing or living with "ball-park" values. If you have a calibrated mic (or SLM), you can get the job done with RoomEQWizard freeware but it is much more tedious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts