AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, can anyone recommend a good spl meter with a tripod mount?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's true, thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a Radio Shack (hehe) SPL meter that I've used since the early 2000s to do my calibrations for anything. Just hold it in front of your head where you sit, I usually point mine up towards the ceiling. Just make sure the one you get has the Weighting mode. You definitely don't need a tripod.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi all, can anyone recommend a good spl meter with a tripod mount?
If it's just for level matching speakers then the radioshack hand held (digital these days) will do.
If it's for full calibration with REW etc then the Umik-1 from Cross Spectrum or the Umik-2. I also recommend getting a usb extension for the mic to laptop.
As for tripods, just buy the cheap tripod with boom extension off ebay or wherever as they are extremely cheap and reach better than a camera tripod.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually point mine up towards the ceiling.
why does everyone say point it up? Why not point it toward the speaker you are level matching?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's just for level matching speakers then the radioshack hand held (digital these days) will do.
If it's for full calibration with REW etc then the Umik-1 from Cross Spectrum or the Umik-2. I also recommend getting a usb extension for the mic to laptop.
As for tripods, just buy the cheap tripod with boom extension off ebay or wherever as they are extremely cheap and reach better than a camera tripod.

Hope that helps
what‘s REW?
and what is the benefit of plugging the mic into the laptop?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
There are a few paragraphs in mic orientation. Basically for level matching you want to set the mic so that it does not favor any specific speaker. In stereo systems you point it between the speakers, in surround - you point it up.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are a few paragraphs in mic orientation. Basically for level matching you want to set the mic so that it does not favor any specific speaker. In stereo systems you point it between the speakers, in surround - you point it up.
but if you point it towards each of the speakers in surround, none of the speakers are being favoured over the other ones.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
but if you point it towards each of the speakers in surround, none of the speakers are being favoured over the other ones.
Do not move the mike for level matching Set it once at the listening position at ear height.. Then go through the test tones.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok thanks

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
If you are using Audyssey on your X3400, be aware that the internal test tones bypass the Audyssey EQ filters. This can skew the SPL level from each speaker a few dB depending on how much correction Audyssey has applied. If you must adjust levels on your speakers post-Audyssey, external test tones are recommended. If you have a laptop with HDMI out, you can use REW (free) to generate the tones you need.

Also, keep in mind that most SPL meters don't read the subwoofer frequencies very well. There are correction tables available on the web for some of the more popular meters, but not for all. In this sense, a calibrated mic + REW is really the most cost-effective (and more accurate) solution if you already have a laptop or PC you can connect to the AVR.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are using Audyssey on your X3400, be aware that the internal test tones bypass the Audyssey EQ filters. This can skew the SPL level from each speaker a few dB depending on how much correction Audyssey has applied. If you must adjust levels on your speakers post-Audyssey, external test tones are recommended. If you have a laptop with HDMI out, you can use REW (free) to generate the tones you need.

Also, keep in mind that most SPL meters don't read the subwoofer frequencies very well. There are correction tables available on the web for some of the more popular meters, but not for all. In this sense, a calibrated mic + REW is really the most cost-effective (and more accurate) solution if you already have a laptop or PC you can connect to the AVR.
what do you mean by "bypass the Audyssey EQ filters"? how does the laptop connect to the AVR? that 3400H is kind of old now. would I use bluetooth? and this REW software would have the AVR do the test tones?

·
Premium Member
13,090 Posts
what do you mean by "bypass the Audyssey EQ filters"? ...
The test tones are "raw" / un-EQ'd / not affected by Audyssey.

... how does the laptop connect to the AVR? ...
It doesn't. The mic that captures the AVR's test tones connects to the laptop that has REW loaded onto it.

... and this REW software would have the AVR do the test tones?
Nope. The AVR does the test tones all on its own.

Room EQ Wizard: REW Room Measurement Tutorial

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I have the Radio Shack analog SPL meter and it has a threaded mount in the bottom for a standard tripod.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
what do you mean by "bypass the Audyssey EQ filters"? how does the laptop connect to the AVR? that 3400H is kind of old now. would I use bluetooth? and this REW software would have the AVR do the test tones?
@eljaycanuck gave you mostly good answers, except for one. :)

The laptop does connect to the AVR. If the laptop has HDMI, that is the preferred connection. If it does not, you can use the headphone output. REW can generate the correct test tones (Pink Noise, Full Range, -30dBfs) and output through the laptop to your AVR...this way the tones will be fed through the Audyssey correction filters.

Reactions: eljaycanuck
1 - 20 of 31 Posts