AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that was the sound of me taking the plunge! i just ordered a panny 75u (my first pj) a few minutes ago and already the anticipation has started! anyhow, thanks to everyone for answering my questions and helping me reach my decision.

i guess i should go tell my wife now...

-zak

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after a UPS snafu, my PJ arrived this morning, along with a 35 foot Component->RGB cable from a2zcables. last night i ran out to Best Buy and picked up a Toshiba 4700 prog scan DVD player. it was a toss-up between that and the Panny rp56, but the Toshiba has DVD-Audio so i went with that. i bought a pioneer 811s receiver last week which has 7.1 inputs so i can use the DVD-Audio at some point if i want to.

-zak

·
Registered
324 Posts
Congrats on your purchase.....I am sure you will be pleased with the projector....However, you may wish to reconsider on the DVD player....This is an exerpt from a previous thread

------------------

Does anyone have any suggestions? I heard good things about the Toshiba SD5700 and SD4700. Are this comparable or better than the Philips?

Reply:

If you want good progressive video you buy RP-56 or if video performance is more important than de-interlacing then you buy RP-91.

Toshiba has chroma bug, bad interlacing and mediocre sound quality. Worst of all - IMHO.

-------------

Now, maybe you want to look at your setup and try it first, but if something bugs you or if you see problems, Best Buy should have a 30 day return guarantee.....Maybe by then the RP62/82's might be available.....I was looking into the 4700/5700 Toshiba's myself and this is what I found....

Dave

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info! i did a search for the 4700 and rp56, and found that the chroma bug didn't bother some people, but bothered others. i guess i will find out which category i fall into!

the problem with some rp56 units is a "red flicker". i'm not sure what that means, but it was enough to scare me away. i'll give the tosh a try and post my thoughts.

-z

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks! i wasn't sure what the chroma bug was, now i know! i'm going to pick up the rp56 on the way home and do my own little "shootout" with the test scenes listed in that article.

thanks,

-z

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night was showtime! I setup the projector and screen (translated: "balanced PJ precariously on an end table and a couple of boxes, stuffed pillows in the windows to block out light, and stapled a bedsheet to the wall") and popped in the matrix on my old Apex DVD player via S-Video. It looked weird, but BIG!!! Over the next 2 hours I setup the projector and hooked up the rp56 progressive scan player. WOW! It looks great! A buddy of mine stopped by last night and was similarly impressed. The last thing I did was to set the lamp to economy mode- this PJ is nearly silent!

I am confused about a couple of things:

1. I am projecting a ~70" wide screen, but the projector is only 7'-8' away from the wall. Is the short throw lense attached by default?

2. If it is the short throw lense, is it better to use it than to move the PJ farther back?

My next steps are to:

1. Figure out how to ceiling mount this puppy.

2. Hide the cables.

3. Build a screen.

-Zak

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all-

It's been a while, but I have been enjoying my new projector! Since my last post in this thread I have ceiling mounted it using the Chief mount and a DIY ceiling plate and built a screen using Ron Geyer's method . I have some samples coming from Genova to hide the cables.

It has been hard to get a lot done because I find myself watching the movies I put in to "test" various portions of the home theater!

-Zak

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.